Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Anyone done a Citroen 2CV - weird & whacky, I know? Sorry, you Landies out there! Seems a much lighter and simpler prospect - no?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yuck! Have seen one - take a look at the garage section on diyelectriccar.com

I would think you'd be better off going for something a little more modern or sporty - cant see a 2cv being a nice to drive car after the conversion

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 2020, Volkswagen ID.3
404 Posts
the weight of the batteries would probably use up most of the 2CV's suspension travel

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ive seen what happens when they fall over, (that was about a 3 year old one ) it fell off an outside bend of a rural road at about 25mph into a ditch, its panels just folded up. I would not want to be in any accident with one, however cute they are.
As to conversion, probably very easy but with 150kg of cells on board, I think the brakes would be inadequate as would the structure. I fear in an accident the cells would rip whatever they were attatched to apart. You might have guessed that I consider these to be a form of death on wheels on todays congested and busy roads.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 2020, Volkswagen ID.3
404 Posts
I survived owning 5 of them, but an extra 150kg would make a big difference, especially if there was more than 2 people on board.
The only strong part of a 2CV is the chassis, everything else is a bit flimsy...

·
Leaf lover
4,831 Posts
I am probably talking nonsense but I am sure the mini didn’t start off from day one as an iconic car. It became loved because of how it performed and the rest is history.
I didn’t like my Leaf’s looks at first but now I know the value of the car it somehow looks really good.
Take two Leaf and produce one AWD Leaf with 42kwh battery capacity and you have the answer to LTUAE.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
I never converted a car, but did give it very serious consideration about ten years ago.

I evaluated several possible donors.

Mazda Miata first generation -- I decided there was not enough room.
Porche 914 -- Good candidate. Getting a donor car may be tough now. I found one at the time.
Caterham SV -- I abandoned this because getting it street legal in the US would be too difficult. Never did a serious calculation on batteries.
BMW e36/5 318ti. Doable. I happened to have a donor in my garage so I gave this one a very serious look. In the end I sold the donor. One of the things I liked about the BMW is I could source uprated brakes and suspension parts from a heavier e36 like a 323ti or even an M3.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure what the batteries' capacity would be in a used Leaf. Say, 10% degradation a year to be safe? Also, wonder does anyone have any idea about how easy it would be to use the parts (motor, controller, transfer drive, etc.)? It's a great idea but need to settle on what donor, obviously. Thanks guys - keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I never converted a car, but did give it very serious consideration about ten years ago.

I evaluated several possible donors.

Mazda Miata first generation -- I decided there was not enough room.
Porche 914 -- Good candidate. Getting a donor car may be tough now. I found one at the time.
Caterham SV -- I abandoned this because getting it street legal in the US would be too difficult. Never did a serious calculation on batteries.
BMW e36/5 318ti. Doable. I happened to have a donor in my garage so I gave this one a very serious look. In the end I sold the donor. One of the things I liked about the BMW is I could source uprated brakes and suspension parts from a heavier e36 like a 323ti or even an M3.
Plenty of miata conversions in the US. I have bought a set of conversion plans. We call them MX-5 in the UK. The Leaf experience indicates drag coefficient to be a major consideration.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Not sure what the batteries' capacity would be in a used Leaf. Say, 10% degradation a year to be safe?
A few of The earliest UK ones lost 15% somewhere above 50,000 miles. If the car is still intact, you can check the traction battery with LeafSpy.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Plenty of miata conversions in the US. I have bought a set of conversion plans. We call them MX-5 in the UK. The Leaf experience indicates drag coefficient to be a major consideration.

At the time, I couldn't figure out a way to get enough battery in the first gen Mazda Ten years ago I was planning to use an advanced lead acid pack.

The 914 looked a lot easier because of the kit from Electro Automotive. On top of that and there were several potential doners nearby. Then the motor in our daughter's 318ti died and I had a freebie in my garage.

We ended up moving to Wales a couple of years later. Probably a good thing I decided to not to convert the BMW.

For a short time we had these two, a 1996 BMW 318ti with a blown motor, and a 1990 535i.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Any VW betle style vehicle is simple to convert with lots of parts etc available. Nowadays we are spoilt for choice, DC or AC motors, High (300v ish) low (90V ish) voltage. New EV dsigned motors, or used ex EV parts. The generic parts such as HPEVS and Netgain motors have a much simpler mounting system (Common bolt pattern) wheras ex EV motors tend not to be so readily adapted with virtually no adaptors being available off the shelf. With varying sizesof Lifepo4 cells being available, you can have fewer bigger cells or more smaller cells, and even re-use items such as the leaf cells (Dont touch A123 20ah Pouches as they are mostly rejects or ex pack ones hence the short tabs) But a pack will take a lot of space, and weight of at least 150kg. Its rare that an EV conversion is lighter than the ICE version.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If anyone is interested in doing a Late smart (451 2007 onwards), I have motor (HPEVS AC31) Curtis controller, coupled to the gararbox, and all the needed bits from one we had that got written off. I also have stocks of new and used AC35/50 motors and new adaptor plates for the Smart 5 speed gearbox, + Curtis controllers and all the bits. So time to do it your selves. My own 2008 Converted smart is just about to have the pack overhauled after its been standing for a few months, and to re do some of its original converters poor work. Its got the same Ac31 running gear and 25 cell pack, and its a really fun car with 40 miles range. Be good to get it back on the road.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
That's amazing, wonder what the costs involved are though?
If we were going to convert a defender to this kind of standard it'd be ~£20k, excluding the donor cost...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Did give a passing thought to having it done to my Disco but I think the life left in the chassis and body wouldn't make it even remotely cost effective.
That's one of the issues we come up against a lot - restoring a car before actually converting it!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts