Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after just over a month with my 2019 GTE Advance these two messages popped up. Cruise control doesn't work any more either.
My dealer had it in for two days consulting with Germany.
It is now going in for camera realignment next week. Hope that cures it.
The dealer was non committal, "on others e.g. Golfs it has sometimes worked, sometimes not"
I will update next week.
Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only seen the message once, it was when I was driving into low sun and the roads were wet so the system couldn't cope. It was fine the day after though!

How did you find the system in general? I really like the idea of it, but it irritates me slightly when going in a long straight line as the car drifts left and right and 'bounces' off the side of each lane each few hundred meters, rather than planting itself dead centre like I was expecting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes I’ve noticed the zig-zagging within the lane. Deffo not planted. Drivers behind must think I’ve had a few too many shandies!

Clever capacitive steering wheel - seen what happens when you ignore the warnings about putting hands back on the wheel?... hazards on, starts braking, when down to ~10mph it pumps the brakes to jolt as if to try and wake you up then comes to a gentle halt.

Thankfully, I don’t think it dialled the emergency services giving location and registration ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine's done it I think when the weather was awful so whatever sensors it needs I guess couldn't tell what the heck was going on. Like @gringoboyo it was back to normal the next time I drove. I also find that it does 'wander' in the lane a bit when using it and have also tried to see what happens if you ignore it - I was doing 70mph on a dual carriageway (no other cars around me!) and it 'jabbed' the breaks which scared the crap out of me :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
My friend's Arteon has the lane assist and that does the zig-zagging bouncing off the walls as well. First time I went in it was when he took me to pick up my Passat and when I saw the zig-zagging I was glad I didn't bother speccing it on mine! Definitely disappointing and not as good as it should be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: my dealer had the car for two days last week to investigate and consult Germany. Germany told them to recalibrate the camera, they had to take it to one of their other sites for this so they had it for another day to do that. Recalibrate made no difference so they keep it to rediagnose, they think it needs a new camera. This will be confirmed tomorrow and I get the car back while waiting for the new part. So just over one month old and off the road for five days so far!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So next step is new camera. Camera ordered but is on “back order” so no date of arrival available.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the plus side, I thought adaptive cruise control no longer worked but it does. The only thing I am missing is lane control which I didn’t like anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had my GTE for 6 weeks and have been getting an intermittent fault message: "Check right headlight" despite the LED cluster being lit.

Yesterday on a 120 mile trip from NW down to Redditch, I got the message "Front Assist unavailable, sensor impaired".
There were further error messages relating the family of 'Assist' features and ACC was deactivated.

I didn't realise how heavily I rely on cruise control when on motorways, so I pulled off at Stafford Services and gave the front VW badge a wipe (no muck on it at all).
I restarted - no error messages and everything worked as should. Perhaps re-starting the car cleared the error/s?

On the return trip home the same thing happened while in lane 3 of a 20 mile contra-flow so no opportunity to pull off.
After 5-10 mins the orange triangle on the dash disappeared and I was able to use cruise control for the rest of the journey.

I've booked it into get looked at.

Is anyone else getting these errors?
It was wet at the time but not heavy so there was only a small amount of spray and wipers on intermittent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, here is an update on my “lane assist, travel assist not available.“

the car has had:
  • software update, camera recalibration
  • another software update, camera recalibration
  • new camera, failed attempt to recalibrate (camera not coded to vehicle)

apparently the new camera had been successfully coded to vehicle.

situation not helped by my local dealer not having kit to recalibrate, the car has to go to Audi dealer in group 12 miles away to be recalibrated.

so after nine days off the road so far, I said to them yesterday “keep it until you have fixed the problem or found the next part to order” not a good experience on a car less than three months old with less than 2000 on the clock.

Thought I might have a go at VW Uk today to try and get it escalated to senior techs in Germany if that helps.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thought I might have a go at VW Uk today to try and get it escalated to senior techs in Germany if that helps.
Annoying isn't it! My Golf GTE went in probably after 2 years on 50k miles with an issue fuelling the car. They 'fixed' some wiring, replaced something else, then decided an entirely new fuel tank which was on back-order. So it sat in the workshop with the tank on the floor for 1 month until the new tank arrived. They put the new tank in - SAME ISSUE! Then they figured out it was some charcoal filter all along - I dread to think how much that all cost!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, don’t know how much that cost but after 14 days in the workshop, one new camera and , I think, three software update, it is fixed and I have the car back! I did try and escalate it with VW UK but, rather than bring some expert focus from Germany to the problem, they said that all they intended to do was contact my dealer and ask them if they were following the correct processes. I figured that would just irritate the dealer so didn’t pursue it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine went into VW yesterday.
They reset the right-hand LED headlight actuator.
Apparently, this was causing the other errors... only time will tell...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just been out to check on the car. Turned it on, the error messages are back! Lane assist not available, travel assist not available. Back to the dealer after lock down eased.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
False alarm I think. Turned it on today, error messages came up, took it round the block, error messages disappeared as I backed out. Sun on cameras perhaps?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I haven’t had the error messages since VW reset the LED headlight actuator.
However that was the day we were told to work from home. So no big miles and longer days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts