Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned elsewhere that I have ordered an e Niro 2 and waiting delivery in a couple of months time.

My question is in relation to the driving assistance features.

How often do you guys use them? How reliable and practical are they?

I do a lot of miles on the A9 in Scotland and always dreamt of a day when I would have a car that could auto steer and keep its distance from the car in front at the speeds of 60 mph. Is that a realistic expectation?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
I always use them on the motorway and it's absolutely great

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use them on motorways but also some 20mph roads as it just takes away the irritation of having to keep watching your speed.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Use them almost every time I drive the car.

distance keeping works great, and will brake right down to zero for slowing/queueing traffic, then a gentle tap on the accelerator and off you go again, still following safely.

the steering is less reliable. It needs clear white lines on both sides of the road. There’s some roads near me that have central lines but none on the other side, but DO have a high and shiny kerb. It mistakes thee for lines and tries to drive within a couple of inches of them. This would put you in every drain, pothole, and all the muck and rubbish that collects. So if cruise is activated on that road you have to provide some steering input in the other direction -constantly- which is annoying. There doesn’t appear to be any “learning” happening when the driver intervenes, it will make the same mistake every day.

On dual carriageways and motorways it’s fantastic, makes a long drives much easier. But, it will prompt for driver input after about ten seconds, and bong loudly after about 30 if you take your hands off the wheel.

Reactions: Excelsior

·
Registered
86 Posts
On motorways and DC's I find both the ACC and LKA to be very good, requiring only a light hand on the steering wheel but minimal-to-no input, leaving me free to just keep an eye on the road far ahead. I've driven for about 90 minutes using it and not needed to do anything, which really lightens the load.

On smaller fast roads the ACC is still good, but LKA is more rarely either working or of value, plus it can only assist with fairly gentle bends so I do all the steering, and barely notice it's input.

In urban roads I find the ACC fantastic as it makes the never ending line of traffic effortless. It keeps you a sensible distance back and brakes very reliably, although I find sometimes I prefer to deactivate it and just coast to stop rather than blindly following the vehicle in front. It's so nice to have it stop in the queue and then just continue when the traffic moves. Also the pedestrian/cyclist detection really works - a bike came out from behind a parked van into my path (so couldn't be seen until then) and the car had detected it and started braking before my foot got to the brake pedal!

If anything the automated systems are a bit too cautious for my taste. The car will brake hard for a vehicle turning off your carriageway even when it has cleared your road and I would proceed onward, so I've learned to gently press the accelerator in this situation to press forward.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The last two posts are in line with my experience. There’s been the odd report of the ACC being a bit erratic but I haven’t found that.
In fact I’ve found that if you’re cruising along at, say, 70 and you come up behind a car at 65 you can eventually find yourself following at 65, having not noticed your car slow down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I mentioned elsewhere that I have ordered an e Niro 2 and waiting delivery in a couple of months time.

My question is in relation to the driving assistance features.

How often do you guys use them? How reliable and practical are they?

I do a lot of miles on the A9 in Scotland and always dreamt of a day when I would have a car that could auto steer and keep its distance from the car in front at the speeds of 60 mph. Is that a realistic expectation?
I haven't really used the LFA - I did try it last time I was on a motorway, but as others have already said, it's not very good on typical UK minor roads where the left edge tends not to be clearly marked. The SCC though is generally very good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't really used the LFA - I did try it last time I was on a motorway, but as others have already said, it's not very good on typical UK minor roads where the left edge tends not to be clearly marked. The SCC though is generally very good.
I meant you add that what SCC does NOT do though is anticipate! It will not notice for example if a car in an adjacent lane is indicating their intention to pull out into your lane. Good drivers notice this and make space for the other car. SCC won't. Likewise when passing an entry slip road.

Also, SCC will happily undertake other slower vehicles on your right - something that I was taught to never do.

SCC basically does exactly what it says on the tin, and does it well.It maintains a constant speed if it can, whilst maintaining a set distance from the car in front. But that is ALL it does. It relieves the driver from constant monitoring of their speed and distance from the car in front. It does not relieve the driver of the need to constantly pay attention to what other road users are doing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
both features work well, especially SCC. Just remember they're assistants and not autopilot.
my experience is the same as described by other users, LKA needs clear white lines to work properly, even when you see the green icon you have to keep focused on the driving.

one thing I find about SCC is that it's not as good performance-wise compared to manual driving. For example, I have done tests on a long coasting section, SCC regenerated about 7Km while manual driving on level 3 regen and keeping the same speed resulted in 9.9Km+ (after reaching 9.9, I spent five more minutes regenerating... probably, it got to 15-16Km)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use them almost every time I drive the car.

distance keeping works great, and will brake right down to zero for slowing/queueing traffic, then a gentle tap on the accelerator and off you go again, still following safely.

the steering is less reliable. It needs clear white lines on both sides of the road. There’s some roads near me that have central lines but none on the other side, but DO have a high and shiny kerb. It mistakes thee for lines and tries to drive within a couple of inches of them. This would put you in every drain, pothole, and all the muck and rubbish that collects. So if cruise is activated on that road you have to provide some steering input in the other direction -constantly- which is annoying. There doesn’t appear to be any “learning” happening when the driver intervenes, it will make the same mistake every day.

On dual carriageways and motorways it’s fantastic, makes a long drives much easier. But, it will prompt for driver input after about ten seconds, and bong loudly after about 30 if you take your hands off the wheel.
Thanks for the elaborate response. I can pretty much discount the auto steering then when I am driving on roads with no left lane marking.

Also, that's what I experienced in my test drive. The car completely ignored the kerb and kept driving into it so I had to keep steering away from it. The roads in Scotland and probably England are just not ready for cars that require solid lane markings.

The A9 which I will mostly drive on also doesn't seem to be that great for lane markings, especially coming out of Inverness but I am hoping most of it will be good enough for the auto steering.

Where the lane markings are solid, how well does the car steer around sharper bends? Does it steer all the way or do you need to assist the system?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On motorways and DC's I find both the ACC and LKA to be very good, requiring only a light hand on the steering wheel but minimal-to-no input, leaving me free to just keep an eye on the road far ahead. I've driven for about 90 minutes using it and not needed to do anything, which really lightens the load.

On smaller fast roads the ACC is still good, but LKA is more rarely either working or of value, plus it can only assist with fairly gentle bends so I do all the steering, and barely notice it's input.

In urban roads I find the ACC fantastic as it makes the never ending line of traffic effortless. It keeps you a sensible distance back and brakes very reliably, although I find sometimes I prefer to deactivate it and just coast to stop rather than blindly following the vehicle in front. It's so nice to have it stop in the queue and then just continue when the traffic moves. Also the pedestrian/cyclist detection really works - a bike came out from behind a parked van into my path (so couldn't be seen until then) and the car had detected it and started braking before my foot got to the brake pedal!

If anything the automated systems are a bit too cautious for my taste. The car will brake hard for a vehicle turning off your carriageway even when it has cleared your road and I would proceed onward, so I've learned to gently press the accelerator in this situation to press forward.
Thanks for the detailed response. When I test drove it, I kind of panicked driving along a 40 road in ACC with max stopping distance and I waited for the car to stop itself and it probably would have, but I just had to brake myself as I wasn't sure if the car was going to stop itself or no. How long did it take you to start trusting the ACC?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. When I test drove it, I kind of panicked driving along a 40 road in ACC with max stopping distance and I waited for the car to stop itself and it probably would have, but I just had to brake myself as I wasn't sure if the car was going to stop itself or no. How long did it take you to start trusting the ACC?
I was comfortable with the use of it for normal road driving pretty much immediately, although initially I found the steering inputs a little weird since it seems to want to position itself in a lane differently to how I would. On wide lane roads I'm happy with it's position, but on narrow lanes I'd rather decide.

To allow it to fully stop for me for took a little longer for me to be comfortable. I recall clearly following a line of traffic at about 60, then into a 40, and up to a stop at a roundabout queue. I had my foot hovering a millimetre over the brake pedal and was probably pulling a funny face... It worked very well tho.

I don't think it'll work with huge differences in speed, so if you come barrelling up behind someone going much slower I think you'll have problems, and I'm pretty sure it won't work approaching stationary vehicles at speed. That's when I drop the ACC off and control the speed myself until the difference is little, then I'll re-engage it and let it deal with the pull away and continuation etc. Hopefully that makes sense!?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah absolutely makes sense. I was going at 30 I think and approaching stationery cars and normally would have started breaking early but the car got closer than my comfort level so I had to put the brakes on instead of let the acc kick in. But once I have the car maybe it will take practice and some driving experience to trust it enough to let it take control.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Where the lane markings are solid, how well does the car steer around sharper bends? Does it steer all the way or do you need to assist the system?
On my e-Niro 4, the system works really well on motorways and faster roads. Ones where the carriageways are wide and the corners aren't that sharp.

For the slower roads it is so dependent on having good markings both sides of the lane as has been said. However, slightly sharper corners do surprise me. The car will take an easier turn than it should and go over the white line. Oh, it will get around the corner but just using more of the lane and a bit of the adjacent one. My favourite feature is that the car then beeps to tell you that you have gone over the white line! The thing that catches me out is that sometimes the corners don't seem all that sharp but have, I notice, a slightly sharper element to them - an uneven curve if you like.

Maybe I am driving a bit fast for the corner based on what the automation would like but this is not taking curves with screaming tyres or unpleasant g-forces.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Agree with everything said above - HOWEVER as touched on, what it cannot do successfully is see "parked cars" - as in, the ACC will see a stopped car on a motorway as part of the street furniture. It works by working out all the relative speeds of everything and can only see things moving. Therefore, you cannot relax, sit back and let the car drive itself. It will do everything for you, but you do need to still be there, be alert and able to take over......

Having said that, it turns motorways into practically zero stress roads.... so so relaxing, and the lka works great on motorways where curves are less and road markings good..... on other roads I turn it off. It still is an aid not an autopilot though.....

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
906 Posts
Funny how opinions and taste varies. IMHO LKA and LKW are sh1te. I’ve tried hard to get to like them but given up. I don’t use motorways or dual carriageways very often. On our West Yorkshire typical A and B roads it always tries to pull me to a course I don’t want to follow and it will suicidally try to steer me into the nearside kerbs if I let it. Utter and total crap IMHO! If I could permanently turn it fully off, I would. How it can be called a safety feature and be type approved for public road use is beyond my comprehension. It’s bloody dangerous! Every time I start the car I turn LKA off, without fail. However, It annoyingly creeps back in stealthily when I use SCC.

SCC gets a somewhat better review in Peters world. I often use it to stay within speed limits and to maintain nice distance from the vehicle in front. BUT! It gets it all wrong sometimes and nearly caused an accident for me recently. I was in 30 zone with SCC set to 32. The roads were quiet, nothing in front but I had one car following behind. I approached some rather silly parking with a row of cars on my side and a couple opposite on the other side. There was loads of room in the middle to comfortably steer through the remaining gap, but the car decided otherwise! I was shocked by the sudden extreme hard braking which I really wasn’t expecting and it was totally not needed. The car behind also had to anchor on, and narrowly missed clobbering me up the rear. The fix was to hit the gas pedal to counteract the erroneous sudden hard braking. Not good, and I’m sure it must cause accidents. The driver behind was not amused and flashed and tooted at me, thinking I was an idiot. I felt like shouting it’s not me it’s the car! Generally it works quite well, but sometimes gets it badly (and potentially dangerously) wrong.

I recall someone posted on here that you can set it for conventional (non smart) cruise control, but I can’t remember how it’s done. Can anybody tell me please? I can’t be arsed with the crap manual provided, it induces strong nausea in me every time I pick it up!
Peter

Reactions: Excelsior

·
Registered
883 Posts
Go into your options screen on the dash and select "Driver assist functions"

Then "Cruise control"

You have "off, Adaptive, standard" (or that sort of thing, can't remember exactly) - select "standard".

However, whilst I also have had what you have, I have to say the ACC in towns is more often brilliant than rubbish. Being able to follow the car in front in the rush hour is great, and it's perfect on the motorway. Wouldn't change it now for all the tea in china.

LKA - to me that's a motorway only thing - other roads it's first thing I turn off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I regularly use smart cruise control and lane assist on California's Interstate 5 freeway at speeds between 60 to 80 mph. It works well and very reliably. I love the features in e Niro 2020.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts