Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
196 Posts
I've only experimented briefly with SCC and in urban traffic as I approached I would have taken my foot off the loud pedal to maximise regen and coast up, the E-Niro drove a lot closer then braked, OK so it stopped, but was a little unnerving. Then when the traffic moved off it took an age before it thought it was safe to proceed, now the long delay might be because I had it set to max separation. When I get back to normal journeys post COVID I shall experiment again, in my Mercedes it was just a question of tapping the stalk on and off, simples.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yes, at max separation it will take significantly longer to start, since you told it to do so.

I think you just need more experience and experimentation... relax ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I mentioned elsewhere that I have ordered an e Niro 2 and waiting delivery in a couple of months time.

My question is in relation to the driving assistance features.

How often do you guys use them? How reliable and practical are they?

I do a lot of miles on the A9 in Scotland and always dreamt of a day when I would have a car that could auto steer and keep its distance from the car in front at the speeds of 60 mph. Is that a realistic expectation?
I have a new Niro4+ and in my experience (admitedly only 2000 miles) the lane assist works fine, but I don't particularly like it or trust it. You need to be rigourously careful that you indicate right when pulling out to avoid obstructions near the left kerb. Worse that this, I feel that getting nudged left by lane-assist is potentially very dangerous if ever you were to fail to indicate right (to disable it) and to give a sufficiently wide berth to a cyclist, for example. Something you need to be very aware of. Yet at speed and in light traffic, it helps, and it will certainly not allow you to "loosen your grip" too much on the steering wheel.
IMHO, the adaptive cruise control works fine if left to its own devices BUT:
It does maintain a HUGE gap infront of the vehicle especially at slow speeds, which can be an open invitation for someone to cut into the gap left in the lane in front of you. Whenever that happens, the Niro slams hard on the brakes to open up the gap again, startling your passengers in the process. I suppose that's all fine and dandy if you are not too keen to "make progress" in traffic, but it's not really the best driving strategy in London traffic for example. I have not found a way to reduce down this safety gap sufficiently to use ACC at urban speeds and in heavy traffic.
Also with ACC set, it is very hard to moderate this heavy braking, if ever overiding and "balancing" the throttle with your right foot (as you would do with a normal cruise control) eg to overtake. So again in traffic, I feel you either need to relax and let ACC do its own thing, or turn it off and take full control. There is no middle ground, and no way (that I have found) to change the settings to a normal cruise control, disabling just the adaptive part. Also you may need to know that ACC cannot be set unless lane-assist is also enabled. The car just gives an error message that "the conditions for ACC are not met" or some such nonsense.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I mentioned elsewhere that I have ordered an e Niro 2 and waiting delivery in a couple of months time.

My question is in relation to the driving assistance features.

How often do you guys use them? How reliable and practical are they?

I do a lot of miles on the A9 in Scotland and always dreamt of a day when I would have a car that could auto steer and keep its distance from the car in front at the speeds of 60 mph. Is that a realistic expectation?
Just a few points:

The manual is pretty clear that the LFA can't be trusted.

LFA only works in conjunction with SCC

LKA (a pain in the butt) does not have to be active for LFA to work with SCC

You can disable LFA and still have SCC
"User settings > Driver assistance > Lane Following Assist"

LFA can't really follow tighter bends and would lose it if left to its own devices.

The car tends to run down the camber, i.e. at times too far to one side of a lane for comfort.

It sometimes seems to turn in sooner than you would yourself, sometimes leaves it late.

SCC/LFA Works best on motorways/duals and is also usable on upgraded single carriageways. Also useful in stop/go traffic. The automatic speed adjustment and stopping has never let me down. But foot always ready over the brake pedal!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Agreed, I did experiment with LFA, and it was not impressive on the freeways here in San Diego. On curves, it helped if there was a high contrast center line and lines on the outer edge of the lane, but it also seems to be related to speed and curvature.

I turned it off, it is too inconsistent to rely on it, or even it's "warnings"...

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks all for your responses.

I cannot wait to get my car and start driving it. Especially my A9 journeys!!!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
Go into your options screen on the dash and select "Driver assist functions"

Then "Cruise control"

You have "off, Adaptive, standard" (or that sort of thing, can't remember exactly) - select "standard".
Thanks but it doesn’t work. no such option present.
After much playing around, I eventually found I can switch between SCC and simple CC by pressing and holding the car in front distance button on the steering wheel RHS. However, for this to work you must have cruise screen on but cruise speed not actually set (displays— — — mph)

Sorry, but as this is specifically the Eniro sub forum, I wish folk with other model cars would not post stuff assuming theirs is exactly the same. Or at least qualify their statement accordingly. Thanks. Peter.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks but it doesn’t work. no such option present.
After much playing around, I eventually found I can switch between SCC and simple CC by pressing and holding the car in front distance button on the steering wheel RHS. However, for this to work you must have cruise screen on but cruise speed not actually set (displays— — — mph)

Sorry, but as this is specifically the Eniro sub forum, I wish folk with other model cars would not post stuff assuming theirs is exactly the same. Or at least qualify their statement accordingly. Thanks. Peter.
My deepest apologies! Forgive me for trying to help you out, hopefully only people with e-Niro’s built on the same day as yours will post in here in future for you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My deepest apologies! Forgive me for trying to help you out, hopefully only people with e-Niro’s built on the same day as yours will post in here in future for you!
Peter does have a point - it’s great that you add info but just add that is how it is on the Soul or model variant

I must admit I get confused with all the technicalities & have hunted down various settings only to eventually find the info is for a different model

Keep up the good work everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
There's no need for that childish sarcastic reaction. Of course posts from all are welcome. You know very well I wasn’t asking you to stop posting here.

However, you posted specific instructions in answer to my question as though you knew it was guaranteed to work on an Eniro. There was no doubt implied in your words. No mention that this is how it is on your Soul car. You appeared to be giving a known Eniro fact. Just be careful how you word things is all I ask please. Peter

21 - 30 of 30 Posts