Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now done 1,500 miles in my Soul EV and loving it.
I like the ability to personalize the drive mode (specifically the regen level) but having the lane keeping assist on as default on start (presumably to garner "safety" marks in surveys) is a bit of a pain. Equally I would have auto hold on permanently as it's great in London (with regen set at 3).
Not a major issue, but my start-up drill now is to disable one and activate the other!
Shame that can't be personalized.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Always bugged me on my Pug 3008 that the stop/start couldn't be turned off permanently in the settings and I had to do it on every start up. But then I got used to it and stopped bothering to turn it off.

Now I have reached the stage where it bothers me a lot that I drive a car that kicks such shit out the back end that it needs technology built it to turn the engine off when at a standstill and for me to spend 20 quid every so often on AdBlue to drip into the fumes to make them less polluting. Madness. Which is why I am on the journey to an EV. Sooner the better now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having to enable auto-hold on every journey is annoying. It's not a feature that I'd ever set differently dependent on each journey, so why isn't it a one-time only switch like on so many other cars? I'd originally held out a little hope that a future software update might fix it, but I've read postings on many forums where owners have complained about it for years and Kia have never budged.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The i3 always reset the driving mode to 'Comfort' every time you started the car. But this annoyance was sorted out if you coded the car.
I have scoured the web, but I can not find any equivalent coding program for the Kia. I too would like to default to LKA off and Auto Hold on and also turn down or turn off the silly startup/shutdown jingles.
It seems strange as, unlike the i3, it remembers the driving mode you use.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Virtually every review loves the car but hates the LKA, you would think that Kia would have a way to disable it

·
Registered
144 Posts
Virtually every review loves the car but hates the LKA, you would think that Kia would have a way to disable it
I don't think it it Kia's implementation of LKA that is the problem, more the concept of LKA generally on minor rows, where you inevitably cross the middle line frequently and you feel you are having a battle with the car. Personally, I think it is a feature that should only kick on over 50mph to try and limit its use to dual carriageway and motorways.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,430 Posts
I don't think it it Kia's implementation of LKA that is the problem, more the concept of LKA generally on minor rows, where you inevitably cross the middle line frequently and you feel you are having a battle with the car. Personally, I think it is a feature that should only kick on over 50mph to try and limit its use to dual carriageway and motorways.
Combine that with a manual override, and you will have a winning formula!

Something like a software choice between:
  1. Disabled
  2. Enabled
  3. Auto above XX speed

·
Registered
67 Posts
NCAP regulations state

6.3.3 Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK)

From 2020 onwards, to be eligible for scoring points in ELK, the ELK part of the LSS system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I switch it off every time I get in the car because its dangerous in some situations. I've had the Niro steer away from the edge of the road and towards another car on narrow roads as its only looking at lane keeping not at other cars on the road. After this happened a few times I remembered to switch it off every time.

I don't like having to fight the car at random points. We either need full self driving cars or leave drivers to make the choice on whether they want the car to intervene or not.

·
Registered
791 Posts
NCAP regulations state

From 2020 onwards, to be eligible for scoring points in ELK, the ELK part of the LSS system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button
Just to understand exactly what is meant by "Emergency Lane Keeping" I looked in the referenced NCAP document which gives this definition:

"Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK) – default ON heading correction that is applied automatically by the vehicle in response to the detection of the vehicle that is about to drift beyond the edge of the road or into oncoming or overtaking traffic in the adjacent lane. "

Unfortunately there are a number of reports in these forums from UK drivers of Kia/ Hyundais, that in some circumstances the LKA seems likely to initiate an emergency situation...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I very rarely use autohold. I prefer the fact that the car "creeps£ at junctions making it easier to edge forward when needed for visiblility. If I am stopping on a steep slope, I use the left paddle to finally stop and this holds the car on the slope without using the autohold button.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,430 Posts
I very rarely use autohold. I prefer the fact that the car "creeps£ at junctions making it easier to edge forward when needed for visiblility. If I am stopping on a steep slope, I use the left paddle to finally stop and this holds the car on the slope without using the autohold button.
I used to be like that until I tried autohold: having to squeeze the brake pedal while stationary was getting tiresome, especially in traffic jams every morning/evening on my way to work. And creep is still there when you need it, just tap the go pedal or don't stop completely.

·
Registered
566 Posts
NCAP regulations state

That’s potentially bad news as no doubt they’ll all be like that soon. In the Ioniq LKA is a complete dog’s breakfast. It’s basically like having a drunk driver randomly interfering with the wheel.

I’m glad I got mine when the off button is still there.

Auto Hold should be on by default, agreed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts