Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one week old Model 3 AWD LR but I can't see that the Lane Keeping Assist or Departure Warning system does anything. I tried driving at 50mph on a deserted dual carriageway and deliberately going over the central white line without indicating. Nothing happened.

In my old Leaf, it would warn you and steer the car back into Lane, which is what I was expecting from the Tesla.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Put it in AP and see if it follows the lane to rule out sensor issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had my car since March this year and Lane keep Assist has never worked for me. Like you I've tested it out myself but to no avail. In the end I gave up. I still keep it on just in case it does work by some miracle but so far it never has. I'm not too bothered with this feature though so I just let it be.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you move the wheel to go over the lines? You have to not holding / steering the steering wheel and let it drift over lines. Obviously only do this where it's sensible to do so!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yeah it won't go off if you actively steer over the lines - if it did that it would suck and everyone would switch it off on day one.. it detects drifting. Had it cut in a few times in the last year but it's not frequent.

·
Registered
443 Posts
On a motorway (when safe), cross over 2 lanes whilst only indicating once. As you start to cross into the second lane it should start to warn you.

As others have said, it allows some flexibility when you initiate it yourself, but takes over if it thinks you aren't paying enough attention

·
Registered
62 Posts
Work OK for me when i've tried to do it deliberately. Road line on the display should go blue when car thinks you are stepping over the line

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. I deliberately turned the wheel so I was still holding it. I didn't realise you had to NOT be holding the wheel! I'll try that next time. But, surely, the system should still react if you are holding the wheel? Maybe, you are not paying attention and turn the wheel by mistake? On most cars it seems to react whether or not you are holding the wheel, if you are not indicating at the time. If you are indicating, it assumes that the manoeuvre was deliberate
Work OK for me when i've tried to do it deliberately. Road line on the display should go blue when car thinks you are stepping over the line
Just tried it with nice bright white lines and not touching the steering wheel. It did nothing! Does it have to be a motorway?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes. I deliberately turned the wheel so I was still holding it. I didn't realise you had to NOT be holding the wheel! I'll try that next time. But, surely, the system should still react if you are holding the wheel? Maybe, you are not paying attention and turn the wheel by mistake? On most cars it seems to react whether or not you are holding the wheel, if you are not indicating at the time. If you are indicating, it assumes that the manoeuvre was deliberate

Just tried it with nice bright white lines and not touching the steering wheel. It did nothing! Does it have to be a motorway?
If it is not working as you expect you might want to schedule a service call, from your app.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it is not working as you expect you might want to schedule a service call, from your app.
Thank you. Reading the US forum it looks like it works well on multi lane roads like motorways but not always on small single lane UK type side roads. Also, apparently, you have to not be touching the steering wheel or any pedals (brake or accelerator) or the car will think you are in control and not take any action.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Crossing the white line on single lane roads is so common due to parked cars etc. that if it went off in that situation it'd drive you nuts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts