Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Muxan have increased the capacities of their LEAF battery extender options. Before they offered a 8.8 and 17.6kWh options, now they appear to offer 11, 22 and 33kWh options.

products | MUXSAN

·
Registered
609 Posts
It looks like Muxan have increased the capacities of their LEAF battery extender options. Before they offered a 8.8 and 17.6kWh options, now they appear to offer 11, 22 and 33kWh options.

products | MUXSAN
Trouble is by the time you've paid for the freight to the Netherlands and the cost of the upgrade, it would never be worth it.
Cheaper to get a used e-Jaguar or a new e-MG.
Tony
:(

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,824 Posts
10k isn’t too bad. Cleevely EV now do Muxsan upgrades in the UK though one can always drive to Netherlands. Personally I’d upgrade to 62kWh pack for £13k but wife would prefer to pay a newer car for that much money

·
Registered
609 Posts
10k isn’t too bad. Cleevely EV now do Muxsan upgrades in the UK though one can always drive to Netherlands. Personally I’d upgrade to 62kWh pack for £13k but wife would prefer to pay a newer car for that much money
No Dave disagree. Needs to be 5k or less to be worthwhile. For 10k with a px you can get a much better deal on a newer car. I'm with your missus on that. There is no way I'd spend 10k+ on a 5 year old car, and I suspect I am not alone in that.

Reactions: Gospelman

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,824 Posts
Sadly maths
Battery costs are at least a third of car costs and. With a new car you are still paying over 20k.

Having said that I just picked up a new MG HS Phev to replace written off Outlander. 35 miles electric and no need to charge twice a day like before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sadly maths
Battery costs are at least a third of car costs and. With a new car you are still paying over 20k.

Having said that I just picked up a new MG HS Phev to replace written off Outlander. 35 miles electric and no need to charge twice a day like before

Hope no-one hurt in the write-off. I have had 2 cars written off in consecutive years myself, once stationary waiting at lights and once in the wilds of Normandy by a mad 23 stone frenchman wedged into a tiny Peugeot 206 hurtling round a blind bend at 95kms. He hit me so hard my Juke spun round 3 times, he ended up on his roof sliding down the highway for 50mtrs. Middle of the night pitch-black. All walked away.
After that one I declared no more brand-new cars for me, used ones with less emotional attachment, not my "baby" any more!

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,824 Posts
Hope no-one hurt in the write-off. I have had 2 cars written off in consecutive years myself, once stationary waiting at lights and once in the wilds of Normandy by a mad 23 stone frenchman wedged into a tiny Peugeot 206 hurtling round a blind bend at 95kms. He hit me so hard my Juke spun round 3 times, he ended up on his roof sliding down the highway for 50mtrs. Middle of the night pitch-black. All walked away.
After that one I declared no more brand-new cars for me, used ones with less emotional attachment, not my "baby" any more!
This was an odd one l driver ahead of me stopped last second turning into a car park. I couldn’t move out fast enough and my passenger front scraped their rear bumper. Insurance deemed it as not worth repairing. I would have loved to have gone for 300+ miles BEV but I don’t know the state of chargers across Europe yet wouldn’t want to get stuck with flat battery and not speaking the lingo.

First time in over. 30 years of riding / driving. Wanted Safety features like automatic braking and collision avoidance so just went for new Phev - it was on offer at 0% over 4 years

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am planning to purchase one of the muxsan range extenders as I intend to keep my leaf for the longer term as part of my V2G setup. David Cleevely advises me that the new packs are not expected until August or September. He intends to put in a big order around this time.

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
256 Posts
Range extenders - i can see that these could be good in lightly degraded 30kWh leafs, but wonder whether the 40kWh upgrade option (£8500 - minus whatever you can sell your old battery for) isn't better ? in my case it meant going from a very old 24kWh pack (SoH about 78%) to a 40kWh pack at about 95% SoH (at a net cost of £7000). I'm rather liking the dramatic difference in range, and now routinely do 100 mile roundtrips without charging, and 180 mile trips with one charge. With the warmer weather recently (it's Scotland... let's say 'less cold') i suspect i could probably do 130-140 miles starting fully charged (and still have a reasonable buffer for the unexpected). Plus, the 40kWh pack is where it's supposed to be; under the car (and my insurer was fine with it).

Of course, in a lightly degraded 30kWh the increase of going to 40kWh isn't going to be as dramatic - but surely waiting a bit, or buying a battery exhausted 24 and DIY, would make sense ? Maybe a range extender is worth it if you've long journeys and like the lack of range anxiety that more kWh's provides (?).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am planning to purchase one of the muxsan range extenders as I intend to keep my leaf for the longer term as part of my V2G setup. David Cleevely advises me that the new packs are not expected until August or September. He intends to put in a big order around this time.
I really like this idea. I have solar and hummed and ha'd over a Tesla powerwall for a long time. I could get an 11 kWh extender for less than the cost of the powerwall with not much less capacity. I could store solar in it during the day, power the house at night with the bonus of increasing my range by 40 miles+ when I wanted to do a longer trip. Trouble is, I have no idea what V2G entails or how much it would cost

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
256 Posts
I really like this idea. I have solar and hummed and ha'd over a Tesla powerwall for a long time. I could get an 11 kWh extender for less than the cost of the powerwall with not much less capacity. I could store solar in it during the day, power the house at night with the bonus of increasing my range by 40 miles+ when I wanted to do a longer trip. Trouble is, I have no idea what V2G entails or how much it would cost
Alternatively, spend £8500 to put a 40kWh pack in your Leaf, and then use your old 30kWh as a dedicated powerwall ?
While i think the notion of V2G is a good one, it's heavily dependent upon when and how far you need to drive - and might be a pain if you've an 'unexpected' journey to do (but a depleted battery). I can see the V2G is excellent when you have a very stereotypical use pattern (eg commute), but it will be a pain for any unexpected trips that coincide with low charge in the battery (?). For solar, i would guess that this might be first thing in the morning - as you may have used power overnight that would be replenished during the day. My personal experience with increasing the capacity (by upgrade) is very positive, it's just great to think less about whether you've got enough charge...

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,824 Posts
A bit late on that front. All V2G trial signups have now closed. Cost of those trial units were around 4k. [mention]Mike Schooling [/mention]reckoned the price would come down however that remains to be seen.

Days of commercial CHAdeMO are unlikely to materialise in UK. We are still waiting for CCS draft specification for V2G so don’t hold your breath

·
Registered
16 Posts
My situation is that pre covid I had a 200 mile round trip to a client weekly (currently it is occasional but I expect to return to weekly trips soon) in my leaf 30 with 11 capacity bars that is at least 2 rapid charges (3 if the ideally located charger is broken or weather is really bad). Putting in a 33kwh range extender should make this trip possible with maybe a brief top-up in the winter. This will be a considerable usability bonus. Upgrading to a 40Kwh battery will not really make that much difference. And 60Kwh batteries for swapping seem rather rare.
The V2G charge units are currently very expensive (thank goodness for trials) I am sure the price will drop massively if they go into mass production.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts