Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about everyone else but I could do with some larger numbers. Driving back from Bournemouth last night and was heading to Fleet (M3 northbound) for a top-up I was struggling to read the distances & times on the sat-nav at a glance, that also goes for battery remaining percentage. There is plenty of screen real estate to do this. It would be nice for us 'Silver Surfers' to be able to increase font size & colour and have a small element of customisation. I have good eyesight but when reading glasses become necessary the old analogue dials were a better solution. I'm not complaining, the car is a fantastic piece of kit but on British roads at least, there is never much time to study the screen on the move. Any support for this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes to this. The Regen\Power gauge line should be thicker too. In fact the map is not necessary most of the time, I would like the option to free up that space for other things, or to have a black screen except for speedo etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a bit worrying.

Can you read a car number plate from 20 metres?
I said I have good eyesight, it is not at all worrying. I can read a number plate from 50 meters, the only difficulty I have is small text at 2 feet.
Your comments as usual are not very constructive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There have been several threads here about “kids these days designing the Tesla UI”. Just need to keep letting Tesla know it’s an issue.

Easiest way is a voice command and say something like:

• Bug report text on screen is too small to read
  • Bug report need preference to adjust text size on screen
Had this response from a guy in Kansas, didn't know this is how it's done, thanks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm 37, have never needed glasses for distance vision and I work with electronics so pretty familiar with close up vision too (and also already feel the effects of age as I can no longer read values off 0603 resistors easily).

I agree that several ui elements are too small or potentially indistinct - the clock and temperature could usefully be bigger. I find the power/regen ok, but it wouldn't hurt to be a bit bolder. Battery display could usefully use the same size font as the trip computer cards, and the PRND should be bigger (or at least make the currently active one bigger than the others). Larger fonts would just make things a bit more comfortable and easier to gather at a quick glance.

Cah197 - have you driven a model 3? On the S/X these things are replicated in larger font in the driver's display than the font used on the main display on model 3 - ie they are both closer and larger on the S/X driver display.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not intending to be contentious but I wonder if there is an element of personal preference here? I like images both long and near distance to be sharp and clear. Personally I find the display perfectly fine for me. However, I can understand that someone might wish for different size font and or perhaps even different colour font. Our grandaugher has dyslexia and text can be easier to read when in different colours. Just using that as an example, not suggesting that anyone here has sight issues.

Perhaps it would be a nice update for customers to be able to personalise front, font size and perhaps even colour?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree with the OP. As I have aged I find it takes longer for my eyes to focus from long distance to close up stuff, and the micro fonts on the M3 are a struggle. (Yes, I can read a number plate too!) A second at 60mph = 88 feet.

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
I wear variofocals to make sure I can see the Model 3 screen nice and sharp as well as the road ahead. Just saying...

Anyway, to answer question - will bigger font come? Maybe in V11 (or V12?) as Elon gets older and can't see, but don't hold your breath ;) (choice of size is very unlikely though)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,126 Posts
I wear variofocals to make sure I can see the Model 3 screen nice and sharp as well as the road ahead. Just saying...

Anyway, to answer question - will bigger font come? Maybe in V11 (or V12?) as Elon gets older and can't see, but don't hold your breath ;) (choice of size is very unlikely though)
Varifocals here too ever since I had to try and peer at a TomTom screen a couple of years back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Agree and in fact its one of the reasons I am not getting a tesla model 3 and loking at alternatives like polestar 2. My i3 has decent font size and i can manage but tesla looks too small.. The second dash display with speedo etc on most cars suits me better. I am not ready for varifoculs and didn't really get on with them when i tried for a few days - mainly because 90% of teh time i don't need any glasses as my distant vision is spot on..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You and me haf. with the varifocals. shouldn't be necessary to buy accessories to drive a Tesla.
I have studied a bit further the difficulty I was having and it occurs more at night when the night mode screen kicks in, it appears to be more a lack of contrast in colours as well as font size.
It's a bit like the ghosted lane lines on the driving portion of the screen, would be better if they were more defined, a screen should give all the information at a glance not have to be studied.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts