·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • Largest ever shipment of MGs arrives at Portbury Docks
  • 2,031 new MGs arrive by boat in the UK
  • 66.6% of newly imported MGs are EV or PHEV
  • 2021 projected to be MG’s tipping point, with over 50% of volume expected to be plug-in, all covered by brand’s famous 7 year warranty

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
MG saw an opportunity to bring EVs from China and offer good value. They are effectively rebuilding their brand based predominantly on EV models. The reality is that MGs petrol cars don't compete well with other manufacturers and they don't have to worry about managing the EV transition like Ford, VW, etc.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I think the saying goes some thing like this :-
"Making hay, while the sun shines".
They have brought a good sized family EV in the ZS to the market at a price that a lot of people can afford.
Now they are offering the first good sized EV estate car, in the MG5 to the market at another good price point.
The demand has increased and more importantly, they are able to supply the cars in a reasonable time scale as well !.
If the long term reliability of their EV's prove to be as good as other manufactures EV's ( and I don't see why they should not be ) then the 7 year warranty they offer is not going to come under a lot of strain !.
Warranty claims on ICE models offer more risk to claims purely on the number of components that is likely to fail in my opinion.
There is going to be some loss of revenue from servicing costs on the EV of course over the ICE models, but this going to be likely to other manufactures as well.
"Snooze you loose"others.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
"Snooze you loose"others.
You do need to take in context, selling a high percentage of a small number of cars is still a small number of EVs. MG are still only going to sell a fraction of EVs compared to Renault this year. Don't get me wrong, it is great what they are doing and gives good EV PR, but they don't have the market penitration to sell large volume.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Only 2 companies have increased U.K. sales this year: Tesla and MG. SAIC MG’s ability to supply EVs is working.

I expected MG to go all plug-in over the next 18 months. Seeing this, and the ‘dinosaur’ ad makes me think they’re already on a path to it now. A reputation for affordable EVs you can get your hands on could really work. They wouldn’t be competing with Tesla but they’d set themselves apart at the ‘sensible’ end of the market.

I’m wondering if they’ll get a B/C sector EV over here sharpish. Not sure what SAIC have that they could get Europe friendly and homologated quickly like they’ve done with the 5.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
but they don't have the market penitration to sell large volume.
This is totally correct of course, but they have been able to make an impact on the market by both cleverly pitching AND being able to supply reasonable priced EV's without customers waiting for LONG time periods.
Not massive volume selling - No.
But I think they are very happy with their current situation in the market place right now.
Remember when Tesla first started out, no other manufacture seen them as ANY type of serious threat. With their "Don't worry, nobody will want to buy one then flash In The Pan electric car anyway" attitude.
A "Here today, gone tomorrow type car builder".
Well, we all know how that story ended.
Other huge firms ALL caught firmly with their pants down and are all now trying to play catch up on the EV market.
But on the subject of supply of Ev's, many people are just not willing or able to wait over twelve months to receive an EV - they are therefore forced into a corner and end up buying yet another ICE car.
Let's take the MG5 estate car for example, this car was available to order from only last month in the UK and it looks like customers are likely to be getting their cars before the end of this year.
MG want to make and sell EV's to customers NOW and not in twelve months time.
A lot of manufactures will even go out of their way to discourage customers NOT to buy an EV at all.
Sales people steering customers back towards their ICE models that will achieve a bigger profit margin.
We EV owners of what ever make, size and shape we choose to drive, we all have a lot to thank Tesla for here.
Without their commitment and dedication for electric propulsion, we would all still be driving around in petrol or oil burners still.
This I am pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
but they don't have the market penitration to sell large volume.
Our local vauxhall dealer is now also an MG dealer.
But the old me dealer down the road... Is still an MG dealer.

Suggests all 3 parties are happy to share the potential big pie.

I know it was covid but the MG staff were busy doing cars whilst the vauxhall guys stood around looking bored.
MG had 1 guy inside and the rest preparing ZSs

·
Registered
23 Posts
MG can't be resting on their laurels. They really need to hammer the brand home now while the iron is hot. Long term they're going to suffer if they don't sell cheaper and cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
I’m wondering if they’ll get a B/C sector EV over here sharpish. Not sure what SAIC have that they could get Europe friendly and homologated quickly like they’ve done with the 5.
Looking at their China website it looks like the only C-Size plug-in is the

MG 6 New Energy / Roewe ei6, the PHEV version of the MG6 / i6.

This is the next generation of the MG6 previously sold in the UK.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Other huge firms ALL caught firmly with their pants down and are all now trying to play catch up on the EV market.
I agree almost all of the legacy European OEMs are still lagging, with most still trying to shoehorn EV tech into an ICE car, which just is neither effective nor profitable (according to industry reports). I guess VW group are an exception with their new MEB platform, but it hasn't been an easy road for them. I guess we should also praise JLR for the work on iPace, even though sales haven't been great.

Hopefully MG have plans to follow on the current models and keep offering good BEV value. I am less convinced by their PHEVs, but we will see.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hopefully MG have plans to follow on the current models and keep offering good BEV value. I am less convinced by their PHEVs, but we will see.
I'm not so sure the HS PHEV is a mis-step either, it could well eat Mitsubishi's lunch even before they exit the canteen when they stop selling the Outlander PHEV next year. Get people used to picking up a similar sized car (albeit 2WD) for 10K less, and then be there to fill the void when Mitsu leave the EU market.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yeah - I agree.
The ZS EV should get a face life and some improvements with lessons learnt on the current model in the spring / summer of 2021.
Strange they have decided to make the larger HS model in a PHEV though ?.
Maybe the line of thinking is to offer their customers ICE / PHEV and full electric in their range, then they have all the bases covered.
I think we all agree that a PHEV can been seen as a brilliant “Bridge” car into the world of full electric for people who still not really convinced that a BEV will suit their needs.
A bit of “Foot In Two Camps” really.
We should be saying PHEW and not PHEV - Glad it’s not one of them “Self Charging” things !.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the main plus point for the HS PHEV is it can tow, there aren't many EVs that are suitable for caravan owners but the HS fills a niche for people who need a towing car that can also do a commute cheaply and cleanly.

It would be nice if they'd do a pure EV version of the HS as well but I guess the ZS covers that base and most people who would like an EV HS would probably settle for a ZS.

Next up potentially is the E-Motion sports car that they've showed off in concept form a few years ago, not something I'd ever buy (unless I had money to burn) but if they do it right could be a chicken dinner!

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I'm not so sure the HS PHEV is a mis-step either, it could well eat Mitsubishi's lunch even before they exit the canteen when they stop selling the Outlander PHEV next year. Get people used to picking up a similar sized car (albeit 2WD) for 10K less, and then be there to fill the void when Mitsu leave the EU market.
The HS doesn't really compete with Outlander as it isn't a 4x4. There are also a lot of compelling other PHEV options made in Europe, such as the Ford Kuga (once they fix fire risk!) models from Renault, PSA, etc.

Also, PHEVs are not as popular now due to lack of PICG and far higher BIK vs BEV. The UK market for PHEV SUVs is predominantly private sales or business users who can't live with a BEV. The latter aren't likely to choose MG. For private buyers, due to much higher upfront cost there are few cases where a (low range) PHEV is cost effective, so it is a moral choice rather than financial.

·
Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
Strange they have decided to make the larger HS model in a PHEV though ?.
Larger cars need larger batteries. Batteries are expensive. It could be they decided a BEV HS or HS sized car was too expensive.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
MG are still only going to sell a fraction of EVs compared to Renault this year.
I take if you've not looked at UK sales figures this year?

Q1 and Q2 figures suggest MG is outselling the ZE50 at more than 2 to 1 sales. Ok so Renault missed the boat badly in Q1 with any cars they did ship sitting in port for months.

If MG keep selling at the rate they are in 2020 during 2021 they might pass Zoe level sales in UK since its release Q4 2012. :eek: They've done unbelievably well so far.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,369 Posts
The HS doesn't really compete with Outlander as it isn't a 4x4.
How many people use it as a 4x4? It's usually seen on the school run and out shopping. I think the HS will fulfill that role just fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts