Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Salisbury we've got no working rapids, no truly public working fast charging points either in the main part of town, have to go out to the edges of the city. Population about 45,000.

Funny thing is, the much smaller nearby town of Amesbury is much better!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,380 Posts
I live in an area covered by a conurbation, comprises 4th highest population in the region (basically biggest population outside of the 3 main towns) and we have zero rapids, and about 4 7kw posts dotted around the area and that's it. Population of just under 38,000. To highlight the ludicrousness of this we are just about (in the next couple of years) to have a railway line reinstated and 2 new stations.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
357 Posts
Shrewsbury has no chargers in the town centre. it has a population of 71,715.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Macclesfield. Population 56,000 No public charge points.

Anyone know of any worse examples than Macclesfield? Are there any larger towns with no public charge points?
Ouch that's rough - a long way to go by 2030 I don't believe there are any large cities in the US without a public EV charger. Luckily here in California where I currently live in San Ramon with a slightly larger population of 76,000. At the last count, we had 76 Level 2s (variably priced/operated some free), 8 DC FC and several banks of Tesla chargers, Other towns and cities within 10 miles have a similar density! and we don't have a petrol car ban mandate until 2035. .. I've been an EV driver since 2014

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
811 Posts
No rapids in Taunton Somerset with an estimated population of 63,833
I’ve looked at charging around Taunton and given it is a gateway to the tourist area towards Minehead and a County Town it is disgraceful the local authorities should be disgraced publicly. Oh I just have!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
There are two charging points behind the Town Hall but they are for council staff only to use free of charge despite being paid for by council tax payers.
Some years ago I emailed to where I thought would be the responsible department in Macc council about this very corrupt situation. When I got no reply from the specific email address I rang to follow up. I was told that the person who was in charge of that department had just left the service of the Council. I then picked up in the local press about someone in trouble there over allegations of internal procurement corruption.

Since then, I have often wondered why a local, keen, investigative journalist hadn't picked up on the freebie enjoyed by council EV owners who are able to run their entire car mileage on the public purse. As you say, especially when the points hidden around the back had been paid for by local taxpayers/grant funding in the first place. A festering disgrace that has been going on for some years now. Compounded by their failure to provide any EV points for actual public use. Apart from a couple of private domestic points offered under the ZapMap scheme called Zap-Home, and Hyundai dealership a mile or so out of town, this is a desert for charging.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Seconding RichardH - the theoretical existence of one rapid is irrelevant when it rarely works. Add to that it’s stuck right in the middle of a car park, so is prone to ICEing, and there’s no penalty for sitting on it, and it’s hard to use even if working. As usual, it’s early-ish adoption by a council that’s now got bored. I go to Salisbury regularly, it’s really annoying not to have a reliable place to rapid charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.