Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
2011 iMiev, 2020 Hyundai Ioniq electric premium se

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not just daily mail. Example of FUD journalism from Guardian today

Leading the charge! Can I make it from Land鈥檚 End to John o鈥橤roats in an electric car?

Headline should probably be 'Even journalist can go from Land's End to John o'Groats in electric car thingy: should be no problem for ordinary (slightly boring) people.'
The whole premise of these type of stories where people worry about of they can survive post 2030 without petrol cars is invalid as they try to imagine that we will only have today's technology and infrastructure available.

The advances in battery cost and energy density over the last decade is impressive and, if extrapolated, there will be hardly any demand for liquid fuelled personal vehicles by 2030 anyway.

Any petrol car on sale in 2029 will be very old tech because most car makers have already ceased ICE platform developments.

As regards daytime energy supply, the cost of rooftop solar will have dropped so far by 2030 that nearly everyone will have panels and will be charging their cars or exporting power to charge other people's cars.

Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Extract from Guardian article....WTF??

One of the problems with electricity is that it can鈥檛 be produced very far from where it鈥檚 needed. Hydrogen, by contrast, could be manufactured using solar power, in the Australian desert, say, then compressed and transported to where it needs to go.
And that was a quote from an expert from a university. I was really disappointed that there wasn鈥檛 a comments section.

Banned
I think I filled up my Bingo card in the comments section.

Yep, it's all there. :)
Lol, had a gander, the comments page kept crashing. The fear is strong amongst the sheeple!! Poor ignorant souls. Still if all this "only the upper middle class and above will be able to afford to run a BEV" becomes true, happy days, i'm worth 7 figures and can easily afford EV's. My eldest kid will have a small EV as a first car, regardless of cost of insurance.

Registered
There's another article today from the DM about the same thing. Slightly different.

In the comments section on that one, one commenter announced we'll need exactly 8 extra power stations. No reason was given, but I suppose that's the beauty of a comments section, you don't need facts, just an axe to grind.

Registered

Does anyone dare read the comments 馃槀馃槀
What someone needs to tell this MP is that only a fraction of the cars plugged in at any time are actually charging. The rest can sell some of their energy back to the grid, once vehicle to grid rolls out (which Audi and Fiat are already trialling). What's needed is investment in infrastructure to ensure cars can plug in any time they're not in use and as many as possible have the ability to charge at night. But I can't see the Tories doing that.

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
I don't see the issue as whether we can typically cope with the power demand, the question is whether we can always cope.

As there is a non-zero chance we can't cope already this winter, how TF can we be so cock sure that loading up the grid with a million EVs will have no effect whereas adding none at all is still marginal!?

Registered
I'm gobsmacked by the shoddy 'graphic' comparing 4 electric cars with 4 petrol ones; what an absolute joke of random cars, BEVS/PHEVs, typos, random photos and just random numbers all round, without even mentioning the glaring omission of quoting actual distance travelled on a fill/tank. It just doesn't offer anything of value whatsoever. I was going to use the description appalling journalism, but then remembered this is the Daily Mail so journalism doesn't really enter into it. Here it is to avoid anyone else having to click on this drivel:

That's my dose of their website for this year, will try again next year and see if anything has changed...

Registered
Zoe R110
More fun to try and find the actual parts of the story that are true since so much of it is utter BS.

Glad I am in the office by myself so no-one else can hear me shouting at the stupid article.
They must take a normal story and then twist it in a special way to make those without the ability for rational thought to fall for it hook, line and sinker.

sigh This is why we can't have nice things. :(

Reactions: john andersen

Careful with the term 'we'.

If I need to throw money at more batteries I will.

Meanwhile I'm now a net supplier to the grid.

You can thank me later.
What are your tariff rates and how do I sign up?

What's your likely kW and kWh-over-night output in winter.

I'm gobsmacked by the shoddy 'graphic' comparing 4 electric cars with 4 petrol ones; what an absolute joke of random cars, BEVS/PHEVs, typos, random photos and just random numbers all round, without even mentioning the glaring omission of quoting actual distance travelled on a fill/tank. It just doesn't offer anything of value whatsoever. I was going to use the description appalling journalism, but then remembered this is the Daily Mail so journalism doesn't really enter into it. Here it is to avoid anyone else having to click on this drivel:

View attachment 147752

That's my dose of their website for this year, will try again next year and see if anything has changed...
Not sure there is really much to comment on, in that regard.

Electrifying a car adds on around 拢10k if the company is reasonable, or more if less reasonable. The graphic depicts that reality reasonably well.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts