Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With battery prices down over last 5 years I was expecting price parity to equivalent petrol model especially in cars which are basically a conversion e.g. Corsa and 208 Am I wrong to expect this yet?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
With battery prices down over last 5 years I was expecting price parity to equivalent petrol model especially in cars which are basically a conversion e.g. Corsa and 208 Am I wrong to expect this yet?
Yes😜😜😜😜😜

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They are over-priced NOW. Last year I would have paid the asking price for a Honda e, now there's no way.

It's worth looking around for deals. A Leaf 62 is £40k list but you can get one for £30k. The Leaf 40 at around 22k is quite good value I think.

Yeah still more than fossil but you do save on fuel costs. Not enough to really be worth it for most people but you do get to drive an EV which is worth something. Smooth, quiet, clean...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Prices won't go down unless demand does - and lack of demand is more likely to affect ICE vehicles than BEVs.

Afraid you have a choice between waiting (say) ten years until it happens or paying more than you think is justified now and enjoying the benefits for those years.

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
As others have said, with demand increasing particularly from company cars and salary sacrifice (due to zero BIK) the manufacturers don't need to sell BEVs cheap. That said, if demand drops due to (for example) canceled salary sacrifice orders, then we may see better discounts. We saw that in early part of lockdown with some Zoe and Peugeot leases at lower cost on stock vehicles.

Some manufacturers need to sell quite a few. BEVs (or PHEVs) to avoid EU emission fines this year, so we may also see deals for Q4 delivery if they are a few units short.

Reactions: MattB67

·
Registered
129 Posts
Manufacturers are taking advantage of an increasing demand, particularly with the governments looming 2035 proposal. I, and I'm sure many others, like to buy a car with the long term in mind and a hybrid or electric car is 'future proofed' should you decide to keep it long term.

I was looking at the Citroen C5 Aircross Hybrid yesterday to perhaps one day replace my C4 Picasso and the hybrid version is approx £10k more (£35k) than the equivalent ICE, which essentially means they are charging £10k for the addition of a HV battery and an electric motor, which doesn't sound too unreasonable I suppose but I should imagine they are adding quite a premium on top of the actual cost, because really, it's the one you want.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
I think some manufacturers are still in the first-gen phase, and attempting to stack the price against their EVs because they want to recoup R&D ASAP - witness Peugeot, Vauxhall and Mazda offerings. Others are moving into second gen and already have expertise and drivetrains they can use. Witness VW ID3/ Skoda Citigo-e pricing - much more reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
You could argue it has happened with Tesla - spec for spec a Model 3 is very comparable with a BMW 3 Series.

The main thing that's happened so far with lower priced EV's is the battery has got significantly larger while the car has stayed the same price. The pre-grant price of the 24kwh Nissan Leaf was £31k in 2010 (inflation adjusted that's about £40k today). today the 40kwh pre-grant is £29,845 and the 62kwh is £39,395.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I was looking at the Citroen C5 Aircross Hybrid yesterday to perhaps one day replace my C4 Picasso and the hybrid version is approx £10k more (£35k) than the equivalent ICE, which essentially means they are charging £10k for the addition of a HV battery and an electric motor, which doesn't sound too unreasonable I suppose but I should imagine they are adding quite a premium on top of the actual cost, because really, it's the one you want.
Get rid of the ICE bit and there's an immediate cost saving. :)

·
Leaf lover
4,604 Posts
I think the interesting thing to watch is the small second car in the household market. The family run-about/commuter vehicle that you don't expect to do long trips in but will actually run up the highest mileage.
The BMW Mini, Honda e, etc.
At the moment the legacy auto makers seem undecided what their role is. Do they compete with Tesla or compete with themselves. Which is silly because Tesla are only interested in competing with segments of the ice market.
So the legacy lot should aim to compliment Tesla rather than compete with them.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,037 Posts
I think the interesting thing to watch is the small second car in the household market. The family run-about/commuter vehicle that you don't expect to do long trips in but will actually run up the highest mileage.
At the moment the legacy auto makers seem undecided what their role is. Do they compete with Tesla or compete with themselves. Which is silly because Tesla are only interested in competing with segments of the ice market.
I think that you'll find the legacy makers will try to complete in all their usual market sectors.

The prestige makers have enough established customers to guarantee them a market due to perceived quality and status even if their cars are less technically advanced than Tesla.

Not many people actually want a computer on wheels that goes like a rocket in the great scheme of things.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The current Mii is a fair attempt at that except it’s so so small in the back and also in the boot.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The current Mii is a fair attempt at that except it’s so so small in the back and also in the boot.
I don't understand why you would opt for a Mii or the other variants when you can get a second hand 41kWh Zoe for cheaper, better equipped, more practical and larger range....

About all it's missing is DC charging.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
.. and I think the Citigo-E will take the £££ that people want to spend on a new car rather than a used Zoe. At £17k after grants it's a good deal more palatable.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
.. and I think the Citigo-E will take the £££ that people want to spend on a new car rather than a used Zoe. At £17k after grants it's a good deal more palatable.
But another silly comparison, as the cars are completely different sizes.

You may as well say it will take buyers away from the Porsche Taycan as it’s much cheaper!

·
Registered
43 Posts
As others have said, with demand increasing particularly from company cars and salary sacrifice (due to zero BIK) the manufacturers don't need to sell BEVs cheap. That said, if demand drops due to (for example) canceled salary sacrifice orders, then we may see better discounts. We saw that in early part of lockdown with some Zoe and Peugeot leases at lower cost on stock vehicles.

Some manufacturers need to sell quite a few. BEVs (or PHEVs) to avoid EU emission fines this year, so we may also see deals for Q4 delivery if they are a few units short.
Interesting that. Explains why I was suddenly seeing cheap Zoe leases on leasing.com a couple of months back.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That’s how second hand vs new always is though.
They weren't much more new though. I had a new car on order that was for £18,000 before I found a good used model for £14,500 (which was only 2yrs and 5,500 miles, so basically brand new!).

You can get the ZE50 without CCS in the play trim for about £22,000, so for an extra £2,000 I wouldn't even think twice to have the Zoe with a 50kWh battery over a Mii.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts