Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just had the Model X in for its third service.

It appears that Tesla have moved away from a fixed schedule and are offering it on an a-la-carte basis for owners.

They kindly provided a breakdown of individual costs.

So who wants to guess what they wanted to charge me for:
  • Brake fluid check
  • AC dryer and desiccant replacement (labour and parts)
  • Carbon cabin filter replacement (labour and parts)
  • Four wheel alignment
  • Brake calliper check and lubrication
  • Key fob batteries (2)
  • Wiper blade replacement
Some of the costs were surprising.

Answers to the nearest £50. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Depends on the random number generator on the day?

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here's the breakdown of costs:
  • Brake fluid check - £9.55
  • Receiver dryer and dessicant - £100
  • AC service kit (parts) - £17.24
  • Cabin filter replacement - £9.55
  • Carbon filter (part) - £21.55
  • Four wheel alignment - £95.65
  • Brake Calliper check and lubrication - £95.65
  • Wiper blade replacement - £4.78
So grand total around £354.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,652 Posts
So here's the breakdown of costs:
  • Brake fluid check - £9.55
  • Receiver dryer and dessicant - £100
  • AC service kit (parts) - £17.24
  • Cabin filter replacement - £9.55
  • Carbon filter (part) - £21.55
  • Four wheel alignment - £95.65
  • Brake Calliper check and lubrication - £95.65
  • Wiper blade replacement - £4.78
So grand total around £354.
£4.78 for wiper blade replacement, surely the blades alone would be 10 times that!

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
£4.78 for wiper blade replacement, surely the blades alone would be 10 times that!
I don't know yet, they weren't in stock. If the cabin filter is anything to go by I'm expecting £20-£30.

Of course there's no compulsion to have this done by Tesla. This is just what they charge for fitting.

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There doesn't seem to be much labour and when I bought wipers they were a lot more than £4.78.
That was the labour charge. As I said they didn’t have the wiper blades in stock, so I have to go back at some point.

I’ll update the thread when I know what they charge.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That so doesn't sound right. Are you sure its not priced in bitcoins?!! :)

There doesn't seem to be much labour and when I bought wipers they were a lot more than £4.78.

The indy garages are going to struggle to compete with those prices. Following...
When you go through each cost and determine precisely what it is, and what it involves, you realise that much of it could be done by yourself or at the local garage for cheaper. I calculated about £100-£200. A cabin filter, brake fluid check and wiper blade replacement are <10mins jobs on the driveway...Usually buy the parts much cheaper online in the various sales (bought 2 replacement wiper blades for £20 few months back).

Another example is that my local garage did a laser wheel alignment for my Zoe during it's MOT for £36 vs. £96 charged by Tesla.

But, certainly not horrendous. Just a lot on that list is either just parts, or just labour, so perhaps makes it seem better value upon first glance than it is.

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you go through each cost and determine precisely what it is, and what it involves, you realise that much of it could be done by yourself or at the local garage for cheaper. I calculated about £100-£200. A cabin filter, brake fluid check and wiper blade replacement are <10mins jobs on the driveway...Usually buy the parts much cheaper online in the various sales (bought 2 replacement wiper blades for £20 few months back).

Another example is that my local garage did a laser wheel alignment for my Zoe during it's MOT for £36 vs. £96 charged by Tesla.

But, certainly not horrendous. Just a lot on that list is either just parts, or just labour, so perhaps makes it seem better value upon first glance than it is.
As I said, these items are all optional. They were done because I had a pre-payed service plan. Tesla encourage you to do some of these things yourself.

I doubt the £36 ‘alignment’ on your ZOE was a full alignment. when I took my ZOE to an independent garage they charged around £140 for a full four wheel alignment.

What can you get a Model X cabin filter for online?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts