Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Ampera owners had any surveys and quotes yet from a supplier on the recent list of approved chargers/suppliers? I'm going to engage a couple when I return from holiday shortly...

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
I recently got an email from chargemaster saying they were now offering free chargers everywhere in England and Wales. We are moving next month so I plan to take up offer. Their terms seem OK, you just have to agree to anonomised data monitoring and must have mobile signal for the charger. They offer 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
proddick said:
I recently got an email from chargemaster saying they were now offering free chargers everywhere in England and Wales. We are moving next month so I plan to take up offer. Their terms seem OK, you just have to agree to anonomised data monitoring and must have mobile signal for the charger. They offer 3 year warranty.
Interesting.. What do you think triggered yopu receiving this email from them? Have you had any contact with them in the past?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
proddick said:
I just emailed the form back to them today. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
@hopbackguy - Yes, I have the Polar Card and probably enquired about the charger a while ago.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
proddick said:
@hopbackguy - Yes, I have the Polar Card and probably enquired about the charger a while ago.
OK thanks. I dont have any cards for charging networks.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Duncan said:
proddick said:
I just emailed the form back to them today. I'll let you know what happens.
Initial response:
Thank you for your completed application form for a free POLAR Homecharge-i
unit which is now being processed.

We expect to be able to get back to you within approximately two weeks to
arrange a convenient date for your survey and installation.
Thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just emailed three of the companies on the accredited list to request survey and quote for a 16a tethered charger. I'll post my experiences on here.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
@hopbackguy - no cards really? At £10 one off fee it does not take many charges (or displaced petrol) to get your money back on the Polar card.

I use their chargers in London, Portsmouth, Reading, etc. At present most still have the 13A socket so you can use the standard Ampera EVSE, but I guess they will move to only 7 pin type 2 eventually (like Ecotricity).

I do have a type 2 cable which is faster 16A charging, but at £200+ the payback is a lot longer. As I plan to keep car at least 5 years I should do OK and with type 2 having a locking connector it is a bit more secure in public places.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
proddick said:
@hopbackguy - no cards really? At £10 one off fee it does not take many charges (or displaced petrol) to get your money back on the Polar card.
No, I've not bothered to get cards for public charging since my regular haunts either have no charging points or are within my normal days electric range. Apart from my parents in north west London, where I can use their 13a socket, I have very little occasion to need a charge apart from overnight at home, as i don't have a commute. If at some point I plan a holiday where I can't use a 13a socket at the place I'm staying, I will look at it then, but I'm not planning to spend over £150 on a type 2 cable for the very few times I'm likely to need one. :)

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
proddick said:

I use their chargers in London, Portsmouth, Reading, etc. At present most still have the 13A socket so you can use the standard Ampera EVSE, but I guess they will move to only 7 pin type 2 eventually (like Ecotricity).
Reading? Are there any charge points in Reading apart from the Ecotricity one on Green Park? I'd love there to be a central charge point as I can get to Reading on battery but except mid summer I'm not going to get home again. I emailed the Oracle Centre asking whether they planned any but they didn't even bother to reply.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
@hopbackguy - great to hear you are able to run on your EV range and rarely need to charge away from home.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
@duncan - Yes Polar have two posts in the NCP on the town side of the station. It is expensive parking but so is everywhere in Reading. It is listed on their site but not on any of the consolidated ones.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Status one week on:
No replies to any of my email enquiries a week ago from Pod-Point, Rolec or Chargepoint Services :)

Sent enquiry to Polar Network Sunday evening and got email with forms to fill in yesterday afternoon!

Reading their stuff (Polar), there's something I'm not clear on which I'm going to ask them about. They say their package includes an earth spike as standard in accordance with IET installation standards from last year. My house is only 20 years old and has the usual earthing from the consumer unit and utility pipes (in the garage) back via a thick cable to the incoming electric feed from the substation the other side of the garage wall outside the house. I hadn't anticipated any external earthing being needed - my electrician said my earthing was adequate when he installed my separate charging circuit last October. So are all these suppliers going to insist on banging an earth spike into my drive or garden somewhere and running cables to it? Sounds like it could be a bit messy? Views on this?

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had my Polar type2 installed by BG they also insisted an earth spike was required, my house was built 1998, as luck would have it I was able to lift a slab at the side of the house and he was able to run the cable under that to a grass border, otherwise he was going to install the earth spike service cover a foot or so from the wall to miss the gas/drain/elec services that run the side of the house.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My understanding before I read the gen from Polar was that an earth spike was only required if the charger was installed outside the equipotential zone, i.e. outside or to a detached garage for example. However, Polar came back to me very promptly this afternoon and confirmed that with an integral garage and internal mounting for the charger, an earth spike was not normally required. Which is good :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Status two weeks on:

Polar: Sent off the application form over the weekend. A 16A charger is free, 32A is £75+VAT assuming simple installation.
Pod-Point: Received the application form and self survey form last Friday. You have to tell them all about your home , consumer unit, take photos etc..i.e. do the survey yourself. A 16A charger is free, 32A is £100+VAT, both include a wall mounting holster.
Rolec: Email and phone message from SSE contracting (who handle it for Rolec) saying someone will be in contact within two weeks.
Chargepoint Services: No reply, including to 'chaser' email last week.

I'm interested that Pod-Point are also offering a 16A charger at no cost to the user under the scheme, as well as Polar - I wasn't aware of this until the form arrived. Also that the impression you get from the forms from Polar (and possibly also Pod-Point) is that when you've sent all the info in, and your application is accepted, a survey and subsequent installation will follow unless your electrics need significant upgrade. My expectation from reading the origtinal OLEV information was that a survey *and quote for customer acceptance and go-ahead* would follow. I want to be able to make a decision between multiple offers after all.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So...Polar, Pod Point and Rolec all supply a 16a free of charge - that was a surprise. I never heard from Chargepoint Services. So the choice came down not to cost but to more mundane convenience factors really. I have gone with Pod Point simply because they supply a holster to store the J1772 gun separate from the charger, and I want to mount the charger inside the garage and store the plug outside with the lead under the garage door. Awaiting a survey/installation date.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pod point installation company Innovolt have been in touch to say they're coming to fit my 7kw charger next Wednesday (22nd).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hopbackguy said:
Pod point installation company Innovolt have been in touch to say they're coming to fit my 7kw charger next Wednesday (22nd).
Two very nice guys turned up at 8.45 this morning and installed my charger...that was straightforward!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts