Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our current charge point is starting to show its age. Its over 5 years Rolec and while it had a warranty repair with new contractor and rcd its again showing issues. Getting hot being one of them even when only on reduced rate and then there is the fun buzzing keeping everyone away as it resonates into the house.

Plan is to upgrade. Currently its fed by 6mm twin and earth from dedicated 32AMP breaker in fuseboard and its own earth outside. The unit itself it has a RCBO within.

It has to be a non thered unit due to location so just open to recomendations for a what woudl be good to put in that would give us small discreet charge point outside

thank you

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Hi, the recommendation depends on:-

1/ Who is paying for the new installation (grant or no grant)

2/ As it needs to comply with 18th edition, what earthing do you have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I suspect will be me as only have 1 EV and already used the grant 5 years ago on our first EV. So no grant available :(

Current earthing on the unit is dedicated if I recall it ended up a stupid lenght earthing rod into the ground seperate from the house's earth which is via the incoming line..

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The Viridian Unit from EcoHarmony is bullet proof and since you already have a TT earth, should be straightforward to install.

They might well offer you an internal RCD Type B to make it compliant with 18th edition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks not heard of this one looks ideal as with internal RCD in the unit shoudl be a straight bolt off and on for the unit. Will get intouch. On other note what are your thoughts on the IO Mini Pro. Looks very smart

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
With the Mini Pro, you should push them for the full 3 year warranty - they will only offer 1 year because it non grant (OLEV) and as far as I know, anything goes wrong you have to replace the entire unit. The Viridian is discrete components, entirely repairable.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The Viridian Unit from EcoHarmony is bullet proof and since you already have a TT earth, should be straightforward to install.

They might well offer you an internal RCD Type B to make it compliant with 18th edition.
Having looked at their website, I failed to see how the Viridian Unit complies with the 1 July OLEV regulations. What am I missing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks that does make it more promising. Just hopefully the internals are more robust that the rolec components as was main reason why I went for it back in the day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Having looked at their website, I failed to see how the Viridian Unit complies with the 1 July OLEV regulations. What am I missing?
irrelevant as not using OLEV as only have one EV and need to replace the existing charge point that was purchased on OLEV when we got our first EV.

Once that hit 3 years I removed the mobile module from that meter and its been running as dumb charger . Its fine for me but is now starting to be problematic. The mini and podpoint all look great but ability to change individual compoents sounds great. Coufl even fit them in rolec but if I've had any critisim of rolec is that the casing is too soft and weak. More designed for looks than to be bolted well to the wall. This looks very appealing with metal box and far better footprint. Not a great looker but is function over design and IMO in these things its good idea.

The other one I like the look is the "iron man" ABL charger but the side entry woudl mean cable sticking across the front door. :(

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
irrelevant as not using OLEV as only have one EV and need to replace the charge point.
My question wasn’t really directed at you (sorry): it was more of a general point that the manufacturer appears to be suggesting that OLEV support is available for a charger that does not list any smart charging capability; eg, the ability to set off peak times.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Smart in terms of OLEV funding means someone else potentially has the ability to control when the charger may or may not charge, sorry it's not for the convenience of the owner of the charger.

The actual definition of smart has a lot to do with the comms protocol to the BACK OFFICE or EQUIVALEBT protocol and nothing at all to do with some App for the driver/owner.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Smart in terms of OLEV funding means someone else potentially has the ability to control when the charger may or may not charge, sorry it's not for the convenience of the owner of the charger.

The actual definition of smart has a lot to do with the comms protocol to the BACK OFFICE or EQUIVALEBT protocol and nothing at all to do with some App for the driver/owner.
Thanks for the clarification but there is nothing in the installation guide or the owner’s manual about any comms protocol - unlike the Zappi 2 or EO Mini for example.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Sorry, dipping back in here. Are we discussing a non+OLEV funded charger / installation. If so why would it have OCPP Comms protocol?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The Viridian casing is made from die-cast aluminium, you would be hard pressed to get a better quality outer. The protocol controller is controllable if that is what you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The new smart chargers are great and I can see why especially as by being web connected OLEV dont need to fun the mobile network meteres I suppose. Add to that extra charging options it looks great. However for me I charge during the day when at home and set precon manually on the car as the BMW i3 app is a joke. Works and agree that enclosure gives configdence not like rolec,

Next step is to find out if I can just swap them over or if the electis need any fettling I suspect with the ground earth and a 32amp breaker in fuse board, it should be a direct swap with no other requirements. Since the unit has its own type B RCBO so its just short of final sparky test for earth.

Any ideas Freddy

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Minor point but inside there will probably be a type B RCD to give DC leakage response but no RCBO. Your overcurrent short circuit protection will be via the Upstream MCB.

Obviously the above is my guess Viridian will advise for definitively.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
supply cable on the outside wall has L and N about 20cm tail as enters rolec at the bottom so hopefully should be enough. Will call them tommorow and discuss as looks like a good option. Seems the website also offers components only and since reason for change primarily is that need a new RCBO and contrcator (case has couple of years left in its life) Might be a another option that is just source the items I need

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Freddy your suggestion got my brain spinning. Since my control module is fine and its the contactor / RCBO thats has heat issues starting searching around. TLC direct who are round the corner do 40 Amp 30mA RCBO - 2 Module - Contactum & 40 Amp 4 Pole Contactor - 3 Module total cost just under £50. Since everything else is fine be mad not to just use these. for that its a cheap price to refresh the unit. Thank you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts