Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Latest Update (2020.12.11.1) has Broken Sentry Mode

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Russ 
#1 ·
For those who are unaware, a Youtube video has been circulating about the latest update that seems to have broken Sentry mode. Link below.

In summary, Sentry mode activates as per normal when a person approaches the car but when you go to view it, the footage is corrupted up to the point when it gets activated.

After watching this guy's video I decided to test it out myself, hoping that it was just a one off and only affecting his car. Unfortunately, I'm having the exact same issue. My Sentry activates but the footage is corrupted at the point of activation.

Can anyone else who has downloaded the latest update verify this? If all cars are affected then this is quite a major bug as you can no longer have peace of mind when leaving it unattended.

#2 ·
My Dashcam/Sentry mode recording has been regularly failing for a while. I have tried reformatting the USB drive (Samsung T5) and allowing the thing to go to sleep, both as recommended on other forums. I am left with a series of 595 byte files.

Since the inbuilt viewer has been installed, changing to the viewer doesn't play the sentry recording, the play bar at the bottom of the screen rapidly moves from left to right and as if it's auto repeating the 1 second of video.

#5 ·
My Dashcam/Sentry mode recording has been regularly failing for a while. I have tried reformatting the USB drive (Samsung T5) and allowing the thing to go to sleep, both as recommended on other forums. I am left with a series of 595 byte files.
I have been having exactly this problem, with three different USB & SSD drives, including the highly recommended T5. No solution yet.

The next release will apparently allow formatting from the car - maybe that will help.

I also have a wireless charger - but I don’t think that’s causing a problem, as I tried directly plugging in to the USB sockets.

#4 ·
Ok, I just did a hard reset of my car and tested it again. Seems to have fixed the issue. Strange that a hard reset for the guy in the video didn't fix his issue. I'll do a few more tests just to make sure it is properly fixed. One thing I did notice though, is that the front camera didn't seem to activate the Sentry mode. I loitered around quite a bit at the front but it only activated after I walked over to the driver side of the car. Weird.

#6 ·
I have the update & all seems to be OK for me.
I have seen the bug in the viewer where the play bar moves about, but viewing video from a pc works ok.
I notice in that you tube vid, when he changes memory cards he does not eject the drive. This can potentially corrupt files.
Vid here shows how to eject the drive
The new in car viewer seems to confuse things a bit with this. When viewing the vids the camera icon does not show the red light and so you think its OK to remove. Leaving the viewer seems to re-mount the drive.

#9 ·
Mines been absolutely fine - I get the sentry alerts on the screen when I get in the car, I can launch the viewer and view them as expected.

I checked yesterday that the honk saves a clip and it does - so I’m a lucky one it seems....

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you get the correct amount of video's? For example, i had the notification in car showing 27 events. On the memory stick were 5 events only.

#11 ·
Sentry mode seems to be quite inconsistent - some times it works and other times it doesn't, and it also appears to be dependent on individual cars as well. I'll have to do a few more tests but so far it's working fine since I did a hard reset. I get the feeling that it will fail again though at some point.

I've actually also noticed that the dashcam is quite unreliable so I use my own rather than rely on the car's one just to be on the safe side.

#19 ·
i'm on 2020.24.6.8 & sentry mode is still broken. Sentry events reported but no videos. I've even peeped through the window and caused a sentry mode event. But no video's exist.
It seems that enable/disable sentry mode via the app may be part of the cause. If you have sentry mode enable when you park the car this seems OK. So if i want sentry mode on and its off, i drive the car 2 inches and park to enable sentry mode.

#20 ·
Sentry mode still buggered for me with 2020.28.6. Tesla say they're looking into it.
for what it worth, this sequence of events seems to reproduce the issue for me.

Have setting in car to enable sentry mode when you leave it
leave car around 7pm, sentry mode will enable
wave at car at about 10pm to cause sentry event
disable sentry mode via app around midnight
enable sentry mode via app around 7am
8am, dance around the car and cause a couple of sentry events.
11am, enter car and view events.

for me i get notifications of 3 events but only one video for event prior to midnight.

#23 ·
Same here, it stutters for about three seconds with nothing else recorded. I thought that the SSD needed re-formating or whatever.
How do you get the on screen format to work anyway as mine is greyed out.

Only Sentrymode has the stutter as normal dshcam footage is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.