Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will help sell the concept of Range Extenders and the Ampera will be substantially cheaper, as I suspect the 35K price will be for the base model. This may also be why GM Europe have delayed the lower spec Ampera, to suss out any competition...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw-i3- ... als/261726

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Crickey! That is pricey.

I thought it would come out at something like that price. I took part in a market research panel about a year ago and they were asking lots of questions regarding carbon fibre and price.

Will it help the Ampera? I think it will do more harm than good in general to the impression of EVs and ER-EVs. EVs already have a reputation of being way too expensive and the BMW will do nothing to help that. I fear that it might turn people away from EVs altogether when they should be considering the Ampera and cheaper models coming online later this year such as the Renault Zoe and Fluence.

We will see.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul C,

I see your pioint, but if BMW spend a lot on marketing it may help raise understanding of the EV and RE-EV concepts. When potential buyers are discouraged by the high price of the BMW they may look at cheaper models.

IMHO if a manufacturer could offer good contract hire and personal lease rates - by effectively underwritting the future value, it would much easier for buyers to see the cost benefits. However, I do worry that the ending of the zero and 5% BIK will make it harder to get company car drivers soon...

Regards

Paul R

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You make a good point Paul :)

I suppose that in these very early days any PR must be good if it raises awareness of the benefits of EVs. Also, there is also the fact that if BMW are doing it then there must be something worth considering in EVs.

I think that any new models must be encouraged but it is a pity to see them in the £30K+ price bracket. I think that the Renaults out later this year will help a bit but they are 100% EVs and many people will struggle to live with an EV of 100 mile range without a second car.

The switch over to EVs in any disguise will be a slow one IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts