Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I seem to remember some news about this being a potential new law.

Did this get agreed or did I imagine this?
There is no new law, just some vague statement by the government with no legislative muscle. Personally I think this country is a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
There's also the roaming requirement to be considered. That transport report thing said contactless debit card would meet roaming obligations which suggests a network specific app probably wouldn't...

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
The government can easily introduce secondary legislation under the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act. I haven't seen any regulation published, but might have missed it - or perhaps it was delayed due to B word.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Not true, all instavolt, lots of polar and engine (i think) support contactless via bank card.
Which is great if you don't minds planning every journey around not only chargers but ones you might be able to pay at.
Its a long way from turn up, charge, pay, leave - which is what it should have been from the start.
All this messing about with subscriptions, apps and the like is money grabbing nonsense which is stalling uptake for no good reason.
Then there are some of the mad prices starting to pop up. If they are going out of range regularly frankly they can save themselves a lot of hassle by not bothering which isn't something I'm happy to say.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All this messing about with subscriptions, apps and the like is money grabbing nonsense which is stalling uptake for no good reason.
Very well said. My elderly mother loves my electric car and was going to buy an EV for her next car, but she does not use a smartphone and has no interest in learning to use one. I showed her how to charge using an app and I think it has put her off. I suspect this will be the same story for a lot of older people. It's a crazy situation, as many older people like my mother have heaps of cash in savings and are happy to buy a car at the drop of a hat, but are put off by the crazy charging situation. This needs sorting badly.

Even for myself, I hate having to use a phone to charge. What happens if I loose my phone and I am desperate to charge? What happens if my phone stops working? It really is rubbish to have to rely on a phone for something as simple as refuelling a vehicle.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This is one of the present issues holding back EV take up just now. If you lose your phone you're goosed. The sooner all charge points are moved over to payment by debit/credit card, the better. I did read something about the Government stepping in - as in legislating - to ensure this switch took place if all the various charge companies didn't make some sort of effort to bring it about. We'll see........

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Most people are totally unaware of the complication of multiple apps and cards to enable them to charge at rapids, let alone reliability issues. Having some that work on contactless isnt good enough. When this becomes common knowledge to the majority of joe public they will not get an EV, and I can't say I would blame them. With the push to meet target CO2 limits from this year for the car manufacturers they may find it an uphill struggle to shift enough of them in my opinion. On the other hand there may be some very good deals to be had at the end of the year if they cant shift them and are facing big fines. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Well I've personally given up on doing distance in evs for now. Teslas are about the only things you can use for it and stay sane but they are generally overpriced for the lack of quality and the network still isn't perfecy even for them. As many more evs come along (especially massive Tesla uptake) thats only likely to get worse in the near fuiture so I'm going to stay in a lowish range ev and just use ice for out of range trips unless they aren't time dependant - which nearly all my trips are.
I would go back to an i3 rex but I need five seats now so there is pretty much nothing that works for me.
Seems weird after all these years to return to reliance on ice but thats just the way the network has gone.
At least when it began it was rubbish but had very few users. Now its only slightly less rubbish but with many more users and I simply can't risk sitting at a charger for an hour or two waiting for a charge.
hopefully there will be a big uproar and govt will step in to fix this mess.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I agree with most of the comments above apart from this issue stalling EV demand right now.
he initial car cost and actual availability are the biggest problems, public charging would be behind those two IMO due to home charging being sufficient for a lot of EV charging, although that will change in the future when people without home charging start getting in EVs, placing more reliance on public charging.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
We should vote with our feet, don’t visit any charge points that don’t take money. They will soon go out of business leaving the ones that do contactless to take over their spot.
Only issue with that is a lot of the time you don't have a lot of options without making massive detours. The operators know this which is why they are still taking the mick. If it was a simple, open market with plenty of choice this would be a non issue by now - as it is with ice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts