Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Nissan were to produce a Leaf All Wheel Drive option, how desirable to you personally, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being lest desirable and 10 being most desirable) would such an option be?
Of course this assumes that such a vehicle was sensibly priced, whatever that might be.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Look at the Mitsubishi Outlander, which is getting on for double the price of a Leaf.
Hmm...

Leaf Visia £26,435, less £5,000 grant = £21,490
Leaf Tekna £30,535, less £5,000 grant = £25, 590
Source = http://www.nissan.co.uk/content/dam/services/gb/brochure/Nissan_Leaf_Technical_Specs_UK.pdf

Outlander PHEV GX3h £33,304, less £5,000 grant = £28,304
Outlander PHEV GX4hs £40,054, less £5,000 grant = £35,054
Source = http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/phev-pcp.aspx

Is that really "getting on for double the price"?

·
Registered
253 Posts
If Nissan were to produce a Leaf All Wheel Drive option, how desirable to you personally, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being lest desirable and 10 being most desirable) would such an option be?
Of course this assumes that such a vehicle was sensibly priced, whatever that might be.
0 for me.

The only worthwhile decision for me is based on range. So in 5 years time when I've ran my Leaf to the ground it looks like I'm buying a Tesla.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
I was offered a Leaf Tekna at £18,800 OTR, and that was only a few months ago.

At the same time there was an EV fayre and the Outlander on display had a net OTR price of £36,000 affixed, which was I believe the GX4hs.

If that isn't 'getting on for' double the price of (the most costly version) of the Nissan Leaf then I don't know what is ;)
You seem to be comparing a verbal price for a single Leaf (probably ex-demo, and probably not including the batteries) to the list price of the top of the range Outlander.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Qdos is telling the truth - hard negotiation will get a Leaf Tekna for 19K or thereabouts. Several people have posted achieving sub 20K prices for Brand New Teknas.

I don't know how much you can get off an Outlander so cannot comment there though.

To the original question, it's a 0 from me - AWD is not of any use to me, if the weather is that bad I'd want to be in a proper off roader. But I wouldn't want a proper off roader for the other 355 days of the year, too many compromises.

Tesla have managed to increase range using AWD, but only because they had biased the main motor for performance. But the Leaf is biased for economy and with the way it was packaged for FWD (Tesla managed to provide an empty trunk and "frunk"; Nissan managed to fill both boot and bonnet) I can see AWD meaning no boot at all.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
range was my key criteria in choosing the i3 as my next car - space etc wasn't a factor. If nissan had a realistic 150 mile vehicle I might have gone for that over rex, though given the i3 can do that "onboard" and in a rush get another 60 miles in 5 mins (horrible fossil stuff) then.. tricky... but I know almost all my daily and weekend driving will be fully electric

·
Leaf lover
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am coming up to 3 years ownership, 50k miles and one bar down. And I love my Leaf, it was made for me, short trips, high mileage. Range is not an issue but if the car stays at a premium price, I would want a premium car.
So for me if AWD added something to enhance the feel of the car, why not.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Are we talking Audi Quattro stylee, or yet another hideous, pointless wallowing chelsea tractor soft-roader (with no real interior space benefits) that will likely never see anything worse than a 2 inch deep puddle?

Quattro option: 8
Pointless wallowy Chelsea tractor: -1

·
Leaf lover
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I continually come back to my first impression of the Leaf in Glyn Hopkin’s showroom in October 2011.
Such an ordinary family car.
As if the designers had been asked to imagine electric vehicles were a well-established sight on our roads and Nissan are just adding another family model. Nothing flash, 5 seats, decent performance, expected gismos.
Nissan’s confidence to bring out such a car and start a rapid charging network. The fact that I could just plug-in on my driveway. These simple things made me want to be part of the great experiment.
The AWD thing is simply about making a seemingly ordinary car that is already very good, even better.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would need to be sold on permanent AWD in an EV. With a car that is as heavy as a Leaf, in what sort of terrain would adding a motor at the back actually be a help? Sure it would be simple enough to do, since the inverter and charger already exist.
Maybe be able to select FWD, RWD or AWD? That might give sporty options, low-power options to eke out battery capacity in an emergency, and a maximum traction option. That kind of choice could be a selling point, but it will still need to have an actual, reliably-achievable range of 150 miles.

·
Leaf lover
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would need to be sold on permanent AWD in an EV. With a car that is as heavy as a Leaf, in what sort of terrain would adding a motor at the back actually be a help? Sure it would be simple enough to do, since the inverter and charger already exist.
Maybe be able to select FWD, RWD or AWD? That might give sporty options, low-power options to eke out battery capacity in an emergency, and a maximum traction option. That kind of choice could be a selling point, but it will still need to have an actual, reliably-achievable range of 150 miles.
Yes, the Outlander has opened my eyes to what should have been obvious in a two motor set-up it does make the options and engineering relatively simply (compared to an ice-car).
If designers started off with the brief that an ev should be AWD the balance of the car and therefore its driving experience should be better. And perhaps the electronics could be made to do all sorts of clever things.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Qdos is telling the truth - hard negotiation will get a Leaf Tekna for 19K or thereabouts. Several people have posted achieving sub 20K prices for Brand New Teknas.

I don't know how much you can get off an Outlander so cannot comment there though.

To the original question, it's a 0 from me - AWD is not of any use to me.... I can see AWD meaning no boot at all.
Well not so hard negotiation ( carwow) got me about £4k off my Outlander so paid under £31k for 4h which has higher spec than Teknas ie. leather interior, electric sunroof, heated seats etc. The boot is about twice the size of the LEAF so don't know how you can make your final comment.
The sub £20k new LEAF deals wern't available when the Gen 2 first came out but probably result from competition emerging in the EV market as supply & demand factors impact. There were no deals initially for the Outlander because of shortages and it was difficult to get more than a half hour test drive. I have both a LEAF and Outlander but it is the latter that most ICE drivers show interest in converting to. The 100 mile range EV range limit is the barrier to progress and the 200 mile LEAF shouldbe the game changer but surely by then the Outlander PHEV will be up 60 mile EV range.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If it could tow, then yes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not averse to 4WD (or AWD as it seems to be called by some) and its advantages are many. Especially now that Tesla is on-board, they seem to have successfully proved that you can have smaller motors front and back (better weight distribution) and that they offer BOTH greater performance AND better economy - I mean, you get to have your cake and eat it!

I have a Zoe right now and I can't see my finances ever stretching to anything else. I am definitely slumming it a bit with the Zoe (interior is a come-down from my previous car - leather everything etc), but like to think that I am holding on for a Tesla small family car with just 5 seats, 4WD and 200 mile range & loads of luxury touches. Once they've done the Model X I think that's their next obvious move... So, just as well I love my Zoe ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts