Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two answers from Tesla themselves, one August, one September (no mention of week), so, has anybody who's ordered recently got a firm date?
TIA

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unfortunately, what you will find is that there is no set lead time. It's a bit of a lottery. Some people will wait for months from order date to pick up, others a few weeks.

Personally, I had to wait 53 days. I ordered my car on the 25th Jan and picked it up on the 18th March but this was pre-lockdown (just!).

There is a theory that the vast majority of European orders are fulfilled towards the end of the quarter. Tesla tend to deliver locally in the US first as they can bang these out quite quickly but the international ones take a bit longer due to logistics. So there's a huge delivery of them at the end of each quarter to meet quarterly targets.

I can tell you now, there's nothing more exciting than tracking the cargo vessel that is carrying your car. I was checking it's location every day haha. And when it had finally arrived into Europe I knew it was just a matter of days before I would get that fateful email :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Once you get your VIN number, you have to contact Tesla and find out the name of the cargo vessel it's on. Then search for it on this website MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic. You can then track its location.

There is a sneaky way to find out your VIN number. It's usually hidden away in the source code of the Tesla website on your accounts page. Basically, Tesla will have assigned you a VIN number but won't tell you for some odd reason. Not sure why. But anyway, to find it follow the below instructions that I copy and pasted from someone who told me:

From a computer, go to the order detail page, press F12 on your keyboard and in the small window that appears paste
Tesla.ProductF.Data.Insurance.vin
into the part that says "console". this will tell you if you have a VIN assigned yet

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
86 Posts
I used this method (Mac, similar principle for Windows) - in Google Chrome on PC/Laptop right click on your account page, select 'view page source' & then search with cmd-f (or whatever key presses your computer requires to search) & input VIN in the search bar (it gives every occurrence of these 3 letters but if a VIN is assigned it will show up on at least one of these as you scroll through). See 1st search result highlighted in orange on my a/c below.

When my car was in transit back in Q2, I found this easier than using console...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep - me too also on September 2nd - apparently cars are on board "Grand Dahlia" on their way to Southampton. Might see you in West Drayton :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes may do, i am 2pm appointment. Daft thing is I live in Southampton but have to travel to West Drayton!
Do you have Vin no.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No sign of a VIN for me yet though my original collection depot, West Drayton, has now been changed to the now opened Southampton Delivery Hub. :)
(I had a test drive from Southampton docks a few weeks ago and asked then)
My last email from Tesla was a vague "some time early to mid-September collection" :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
No sign of a VIN for me yet though my original collection depot, West Drayton, has now been changed to the now opened Southampton Delivery Hub. :)
(I had a test drive from Southampton docks a few weeks ago and asked then)
My last email from Tesla was a vague "some time early to mid-September collection" :(
When did you order your car? Might be worth checking the source code on your tesla Accounts page to see if they've hidden the VIN number. Once you get it, call Tesla and ask them what ship your car might be on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered a M3LR on 21st April so it's been a while.
My earlier response was specifically about a change of collection point - from West Drayton to Southampton - collection from Southampton wasn't an option when I ordered but now it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got my invoice and confirmation e-mail. Went into Southampton and they agreed to change delivery
from Drayton to Southampton. Not quite the fancy showroom but way nearer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts