Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The usual caveats apply. Am not saying everyone will get 100 miles range from their Leaf...but today I did so my experience may be of interest.

Temperature 3 c this morning for 15 mile commute on motorway. Had warmed up to 13 c for 25 miles of visits mostly with one passenger stop stqrt town driving. 22 mile trip to visit family on b roads. Followed by 39 mile drive temp around 8 c. Gentle acceleration where possible. Routes undulating or hilly. No heating used. Leaf Visia 1.5.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still driving so no ;) But very nearly. Reckon it could have gone another mile or so based on miles driven since the Leaf stopped telling me! No vlbw yet.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah...is that vlbw? Have gone past that previously to a display saying there is insufficent power to drive the car...fortunately was putting it in the garage! Had thought that message was vlbw but maybe not....!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Excellent! I have a trip planned from Ringwood to Cheltenham which is 120 miles via A34/M4 with CHAdaMO options. There is a cross country route via Salisbury/Marlboro which is 93 miles but no charging options without detours.
It's a bit hilly approaching the Cotswolds, wonder if I should risk a non heated 50mph 93 miles?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Insufficient power to drive car is Turtle mode and you probably had less than a mile remaining at that point.

Low battery warning is at 49 GIDS and Very Low Battery Warning is at 25 GIDS. Turtle is about 5 GIDS but it only goes down to 3 or 4 GIDS so usually about 1/2 mile after Turtle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wonder, if I turtle within 5 miles of my destination, wether the AA would tow me a couple of miles to regen? (Just trying to explore all possible 'plan B' options.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent! I have a trip planned from Ringwood to Cheltenham which is 120 miles via A34/M4 with CHAdaMO options. There is a cross country route via Salisbury/Marlboro which is 93 miles but no charging options without detours.
It's a bit hilly approaching the Cotswolds, wonder if I should risk a non heated 50mph 93 miles?
I would say

1.) Go for it!

2.) Beware head wind and particularly heavy rain. Can knock 10% off range at worst.

3.) Consider time of day / likely weight of traffic / how you will react if traffic behind wants to go faster.

4.) My guess would be Cheltenham and Ringwood are at a similar height so ups and downs should even out.

5.) There do seem to be level 2 chargers en route for you according to open charge map. Salisbury and Swindon? Have a back up plan if you find you are using more than 1% per mile.

6.) Stay relaxed about battery warnings if you are on schedule...Nissan overdoes them for me.

7.) If yours is a current Leaf ie not made in Japan but in the UK it has slightly greater range so should make it!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If in working hours Fish Brothers Nissan dealers in Swindon have a Chademo....you could make a judgement call there! Might be tight in the Mk 1 but interesting :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I wonder, if I turtle within 5 miles of my destination, wether the AA would tow me a couple of miles to regen? (Just trying to explore all possible 'plan B' options.
Towing to charge is very much against Nissan's guidelines and may invalidate your warranty. Even towing in neutral can damage the drivetrain and is not at all recommended.

Having said that IIRC there is a bunch of crazy dutchmen that towed to charge and it worked but I wouldn't do it to a car I'd spent that much on.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure there is to be honest...find it really helpful. May be worth looking at getting a Leaf Spy or similar which I think offers this? There are others here who will know better than me!

Not used Fish brothers myself. Think they have been mentioned in forums before so you could google? Best to phone ahead in case charger down etc

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks Steve, I think I'm up for the challenge if the weather is ideal. My Leaf is a mk1 62 reg with 1800 miles.
I struggle to get 65 miles out of my mk1 at 60 on the A1 from Alnwick to Berwick and back in the cold weather with wife and two kids. There are lots of long gentle inclines which seem to sap the power lots.

That's with no heating too

1 - 20 of 42 Posts