Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Yes, a 3 pin one and the Type 2 to 3.....or as you say, 1 to 2.
Neither of those is correct, the connectors on the cable for the new Leaf are Type 2 both ends. They look slightly different as one is male and one is female.

The old Leaf has a type 1 connector and used a Type 1 to Type 2 cable for public charging, Type 1 connecting to the car, type 2 connecting to the charger.

The change is because all electric cars now have to have a type 2 connector in Europe to standardise things. It will make things simpler as we go forward.

Maybe the confusion is that it is called mode 3 charging. If you want to read further try here

Basically,
Mode 1 isn't used.
Mode 2 is from a 13amp plug
Mode 3 is to a fixed charger, home or destination chargers.
Mode 4 is a Rapid

·
Registered
759 Posts
Leo, you've either misheard, misunderstood, or been misinformed. The new Leaf definitely uses a Type 2 "Menekes" socket for AC charging. It's the same socket used on the Zoe, i3, Ioniq, and the majority of other EVs in Europe. It's the standard connector for vehicles sold in the EU.

The old car used a Type 1 socket.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Neither of those is correct, the connectors on the cable for the new Leaf are Type 2 both ends. They look slightly different as one is male and one is female.

The old Leaf has a type 1 connector and used a Type 1 to Type 2 cable for public charging, Type 1 connecting to the car, type 2 connecting to the charger.

The change is because all electric cars now have to have a type 2 connector in Europe to standardise things. It will make things simpler as we go forward.

Maybe the confusion is that it is called mode 3 charging. If you want to read further try here

Basically,
Mode 1 isn't used.
Mode 2 is from a 13amp plug
Mode 3 is to a fixed charger, home or destination chargers.
Mode 4 is a Rapid
Thanks for that Woodulike, you are correct. Just been out to the car and both ends fit together and I charged on a 7KW public charger with it the other day. Though just to throw another one in (before I run off to bed) Nissan are also bringing out a 23 KW charger for the LEAF for fleet users......I'm off. Good night.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Thanks for that Woodulike, you are correct. Just been out to the car and both ends fit together and I charged on a 7KW public charger with it the other day. Though just to throw another one in (before I run off to bed) Nissan are also bringing out a 23 KW charger for the LEAF for fleet users......I'm off. Good night.
Is that using the Chademo or the Type 2 connector? If it's the type 2 then it must have 3 phase charging, and that would be useful when out and about, if you can find a 22kW charging post.

I've just read your post about your first long trip in the cold and wet. It makes me want to go and try one out to see the difference in the driving experience. I have a 24kW Leaf and an e-Golf on order for my wife. The handling of the current Leaf is not good compared to a Golf, but it sounds like you think it is much better now. What other sort of cars do you like driving?

Is the GOM any better than the old one. I've seen Aaronr's youtube video showing 160 miles when nearly full, but that sounds like the usual Nissan optimism.

·
Premium Member
9,672 Posts
Yes, a 3 pin one and the Type 2 to 3.....or as you say, 1 to 2.
Not as "you say". The Leaf 30 used a Type 1 to Type 2 public cable - Fact ;)

It has been confirmed the 22kW charger Nissan are bringing out (mainly for Taxis and other fleets) is a lower cost CHAdeMO. The Leaf 40 in UK has single phase, 6.6kW charging.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is that using the Chademo or the Type 2 connector? If it's the type 2 then it must have 3 phase charging, and that would be useful when out and about, if you can find a 22kW charging post.

I've just read your post about your first long trip in the cold and wet. It makes me want to go and try one out to see the difference in the driving experience. I have a 24kW Leaf and an e-Golf on order for my wife. The handling of the current Leaf is not good compared to a Golf, but it sounds like you think it is much better now. What other sort of cars do you like driving?

Is the GOM any better than the old one. I've seen Aaronr's youtube video showing 160 miles when nearly full, but that sounds like the usual Nissan optimism.
Thanks for that laugh Woodulike, I've just spent most of the night showing the world I don't know what I'm talking about with chargers and you ask if the 22KW charger (which I quote as 23 KW) is ChaDeMo or Type 2? I'll pass on that one.

As for the handling, the rolling into corners has gone. The steering is quicker, the stance wider and lower, the suspension stiffer and it corners as if it's on rails, even in the very wet. I've driven many cars in my 46 years of driving from Citroen 2CVs to V8 Audi S4/6/8 and I love the new LEAF, despite it's very minor short comings. If I had to compare it to anything I'd say it handles and initially performs similar to the VW Vento VR6 off the line. I'd be interested to see how well it handles with a decent set of tyres on rather than the energy efficient ones at the moment, which even they are good. Can't wait for some decent warm and dry weather so I can put most of the power down without wheel spin and the traction control taking over.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The Leaf 24 handles like a canal barge, so I'd hope the new version is a considerable improvement :p

Been the biggest disappointment for me moving from a Zoe to a Leaf. It's so dull to drive by comparison. The Leaf is a comfortable car, not a fun one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Leaf 24 handles like a canal barge, so I'd hope the new version is a considerable improvement :p

Been the biggest disappointment for me moving from a Zoe to a Leaf. It's so dull to drive by comparison. The Leaf is a comfortable car, not a fun one.
Mr McPhee I can reassure you the new LEAF is a massive improvement in every respect...in fact it's a bit like Quorm, the fungus that they grew for vegetarians and make it taste like chicken or beef. Nissan have taken a milk float and made it drive, handle and perform like an ICE car, obviously to try and encourage more petrol heads....but it certainly works. I defy you to take one on a determined test drive and not step out with a heart beating and an ear to ear grin on your face.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Thanks for that laugh Woodulike, I've just spent most of the night showing the world I don't know what I'm talking about with chargers and you ask if the 22KW charger (which I quote as 23 KW) is ChaDeMo or Type 2? I'll pass on that one.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sorry, it was late when I asked. I didn't really think about that did I.

You've got me interested in trying the new Leaf now. I'd dismissed it as the range isn't going to be great on long runs, I don't like the way it llooks and I don't find the seats in my current Leaf very comfortable.

But now I'm going to take a test drive anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
. Can't wait for some decent warm and dry weather so I can put most of the power down without wheel spin and the traction control taking over.
Well that's answered my question on whether Nissan have added decent traction control yet :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well that's answered my question on whether Nissan have added decent traction control yet :(
They probably have, it's just that where the wheels were slipping was on left or right junctions at full power or in the sleet or snow. Even my 4 wheel drive Discovery would spin the wheels in similar circumstances if I gave it enough welly...

·
Registered
291 Posts
the traction control for a car with this kind of torque curve is impressive. i don't know why people have such an issue with it

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
the traction control for a car with this kind of torque curve is impressive. i don't know why people have such an issue with it
Because I foolishly hired a Tesla for a day and now know what is possible with an EV drive train.
Many times the power, jam your foot to the floor in the wet, it just takes off. Zero drama.
To feel any grip loss I had to deliberately provoke it on a roundabout and even then it just shimmied.
This should be possible with a car with a fraction of the power. It's just computational power.
The leaf also backs the power off for a considerable time. Feels very much like ICE traction control.

I did see a reference (sorry can't find it) that Nissan had doubled the computing power, so they might have improved it.

·
Vendor
1,135 Posts
I wonder when we'll start to see ex demo cars hitting the second hand market.

I'm assuming the dealers will have specced out Teknas to show off all the extras?

@Miles Roberts?
We're expecting to hold onto our demonstrators for 6 months minimum.

I believe all dealers have received Tekna in 2-tone paint as their first demo, with N-Connecta in the showrooms.

We're getting a 2nd demonstrator (Acenta) on the road today (to aid with offering test drives in a timely manner), and a second Tekna with ProPilot Parking due to arrive in March.

"My" demonstrator has 600 miles on the clock already... in less than a week.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hmm, when you say 2 tone, you mean white with black roof that I've seen a few times? Hate white cars. :(

So that Tekna you get in March will have everything, as in all the extras? I'll be importing to Ireland so need a car that is 6 months old and has at least 6k km on the clock. Looks like I'll be needing to wait til around September.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you are lucky :) i have ordered beginning of october 2017 (Germany). still waiting. initial delivery date for end of februray got postponed to sometime around mid march. the cars are already built and waiting in Amsterdam according to the dealer which makes me a bit angry against Nissan for artificially postponing the delivery.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
you are lucky :) i have ordered beginning of october 2017 (Germany). still waiting. initial delivery date for end of februray got postponed to sometime around mid march. the cars are already built and waiting in Amsterdam according to the dealer which makes me a bit angry against Nissan for artificially postponing the delivery.
Surely there's no sense in delaying delivery. Can't think of any reason for doing that.

161 - 180 of 211 Posts
About this Discussion
210 Replies
51 Participants
MetalHead
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing