Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Leaf 24 bonnet wouldn't open

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Phil W 
#1 ·
Any one had a sticky bonnet that won't open? Is it a common issue? Does it tend to be a reoccurring problem?

Last night my wife came home from work in the Leaf 24 Gen 2 that has done over 70,000 and had run out of screen wash. So of I go to fill up the screen wash, however the bonnet won't open. The lever you pull at the front low down near door on drivers side feels normal with the usual tension when pulling, but it just wasn't opening the bonnet.

So my wife goes to work today with a dirty windscreen and no screen wash. I googled it but couldn't find anything and my plan was to post it on here, which I never got round to. However, when she gets to work this morning the bonnet has now been flipped open allowing the lever to be released so bonnet can be pulled up.

We are not sure if the bonnet had opened overnight as the outside temperature cooled, or if the motion of driving on an open road at speed this morning loosened things up. Either way this was a good thing obviously.

So tonight when I have looked at it, there did seem to be some light rustiness on the lever bit. The U shaped iron/metal bar was actually painted red too (is a red painted car), but the red paint had got all flakey and corroded. Gave it a bit of attention and a tidy, lots of WD40 and it all seems nice and slick again. The pull lever is functioning fine and feels like it has the same tight tension it has always had, bonnet opens and closes just fine once again.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.