Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really excited to pick up a second hand leaf 24 next week and have got a question about charging rates...

How many miles an hour will I get from the granny charger? trying to work out if my daily commute will fit in with the octopus go 4 hour window

I've got a charged EV 7kw charger but this leaf doesn't have the 6.6 on board charger so decided against a type 2 to type 1 adapter.

Thanks all

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
On my Leaf30 granny charger charged at 1% every 7 minutes compared to 1% every 5 minutes on 3.3kW triffids dedicated charger.

In Winter 1% required to 1 mile on occasions. 8 miles compared to 12 on dedicated charger.

Using 3 pin isn't good for long term use unless the wiring is dedicated as home wiring can not sustain 10A continuous discharge.

More miles and less likelihood of catching fire.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you want to fit as much charge into a 4 hour window, it might be worth getting a type 1 - 2 cable. You're going to want one to recharge at public charge points anyway.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Don't forget preheating also uses charge faster than a Granny charger can supply it so you'll run the battery down further in cold weather.
16 Amp type 2 to 1 leads are very inexpensive on eBay etc as few people are buying them now. Wait for a bargain.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unfortunately my 7kw charger is tethered so for the time being I've bought an extension lead from toughleads and requested a 5hr window from octopus which should cover the commute mileage View attachment 129773
Requested a 5hr window from Octopus? Do they even do that? I'm with Octopus on the same tariff by the sounds, didnt realise that the time slot was variable?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Y
Requested a 5hr window from Octopus? Do they even do that? I'm with Octopus on the same tariff by the sounds, didnt realise that the time slot was variable?
Yes it's available if you ask, it's called go faster, they have different time slots too. I chose to have mine start at 2230 but before it started I made a switch to octopus agile instead, gonna see what the agile bill is and compare that with the Go tariff. Think my Go tariff averaged out at 10.50p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Y

Yes it's available if you ask, it's called go faster, they have different time slots too. I chose to have mine start at 2230 but before it started I made a switch to octopus agile instead, gonna see what the agile bill is and compare that with the Go tariff. Think my Go tariff averaged out at 10.50p
Thats really interesting, I didnt even know they did that. Do they still charge 5p a unit for the set hours? like the Go tariff?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts