Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting a roof bag for my Leaf as I'd like to take it camping next year but with the wife and two young children, space runs out very quickly.

I don't like the idea of getting a box as I don't really have anywhere to store it year round, hence my interest in the roof bags.

I'd be getting something like below since it has a decent capacity and fairly aerodynamic shape (at least compared to the competition)

I was hoping someone has used a similar bag and could share their experiences? There's plenty of threads about roof boxes, but as I said I'm not really pushed on those.

Also if anyone has any idea what range penalty I can expect that'd be great. Other threads seem to indicate 10-15% with a box, but I suspect the bag isn't as aerodynamic, so I'm guessing more like 20%

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be charging every 30 miles... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Luckily Ireland is pretty small :)

I should probably add that I'm thinking of upgrading to something longer range next year, and I was getting frustrated that there's aren't a lot of EVs with bigger boots out there.
We've a double buggy which basically wipes out the Leafs boot, and I reckon the e-Niro or ID3 won't have much left over either

Hence my interest in the roof bag. The alternative is to persuade the missus to get rid of her old Citroen banger and upgrade, but I've had no luck with that for the past 5 years...

·
Registered
175 Posts
buggies are a pain, we have a 1 and 3 year old and our double buggy (one above one below style) takes a chunk of space in the leaf boot, so poor dog gets cramped. Luckily now our kids are getting good at walking so we take the single pram and a couple of those rucksack carriers to ferry the kids about and that stuff can be put in the rear foot wells.

I've toyed with the idea of using a bike rack and building specific mounts for the pram but tbh its time limited how long we need it for now. No plans for any more kids now so hopefully we are through this issue mostly. Be good if someone developed a bag which doubled up as a boat tail to provide some positive aero off the back end at the same time as giving some much needed cargo space for long motorway trips.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
That 'roof-bag' reminded me of years ago when we used to strap six gym bags onto a roof rack and then cover the whole thing with a tarpaulin and bungy cord that to the rack. Dad used to fit a 4' x 2' piece of hardboard angled at the front to make it more streamlined.

I might be inclined to do that to save £60 as well. But thanks for triggering great memories of camping 1950's style in the Brecons.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Luckily Ireland is pretty small :)

I should probably add that I'm thinking of upgrading to something longer range next year, and I was getting frustrated that there's aren't a lot of EVs with bigger boots out there.
We've a double buggy which basically wipes out the Leafs boot, and I reckon the e-Niro or ID3 won't have much left over either

Hence my interest in the roof bag. The alternative is to persuade the missus to get rid of her old Citroen banger and upgrade, but I've had no luck with that for the past 5 years...
Well...
You can always say that she can have the 24 and you will paint it in pink :p then you get the 62kw wand go camping everywhere, 62kw have one of the larger boots in EV's ;)
you always have the argument that less money in petrol means more shopping sprees :D Imagine how many shoes she will be able to buy... :devilish:
I had a buggy where the seat was the car seat, saved a lot of space.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...
You can always say that she can have the 24 and you will paint it in pink :p then you get the 62kw wand go camping everywhere, 62kw have one of the larger boots in EV's ;)
you always have the argument that less money in petrol means more shopping sprees :D Imagine how many shoes she will be able to buy... :devilish:
I had a buggy where the seat was the car seat, saved a lot of space.
Oh don't go there, she's not ready to join the EV revolution just yet. She refuses to drive the Leaf because she can't figure out an automatic gearbox :-D
Plus she insists she has to pay for her new car herself without any assistance from me, which is pretty noble but does limit her options somewhat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That 'roof-bag' reminded me of years ago when we used to strap six gym bags onto a roof rack and then cover the whole thing with a tarpaulin and bungy cord that to the rack. Dad used to fit a 4' x 2' piece of hardboard angled at the front to make it more streamlined.

I might be inclined to do that to save £60 as well. But thanks for triggering great memories of camping 1950's style in the Brecons.
Haha, it basically seems like the same idea

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
buggies are a pain, we have a 1 and 3 year old and our double buggy (one above one below style) takes a chunk of space in the leaf boot, so poor dog gets cramped. Luckily now our kids are getting good at walking so we take the single pram and a couple of those rucksack carriers to ferry the kids about and that stuff can be put in the rear foot wells.

I've toyed with the idea of using a bike rack and building specific mounts for the pram but tbh its time limited how long we need it for now. No plans for any more kids now so hopefully we are through this issue mostly. Be good if someone developed a bag which doubled up as a boat tail to provide some positive aero off the back end at the same time as giving some much needed cargo space for long motorway trips.
Yeah we've the side by side type, and while it's brilliant as a buggy, it is pretty bulky.

I'm in the same boat with a newborn and 3 yo, so the older one will probably be out of the buggy by the end of summer, but I'd like a solution to get through next year at least.
Preferably without spending a ton of cash on something that'll likely only get a few uses

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I used a roof bag over the summer.
The range penalty seemed to be about 20%.
The space is great and they're very cheap (relatively).
There are a few downsides the main one being that it doesn't have structure except what you put in it. I was trying to keep in on roof bars so it didn't scrape the roof so I ended up snapping one of the boogies boards trying to tighten it into a something vaguely rigid. Might work better when flat on the roof but was loathe to scratch a brand new car.
The straps tend to flop around so you have to tie them all up.
I added a couple of ratchet straps as I didn't trust the clip type straps with it.
Basically it's really fiddly and works best if stuffed full.
If only once a year, then you might put up with it however next year I'm getting a proper box.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a roof bag over the summer.
The range penalty seemed to be about 20%.
The space is great and they're very cheap (relatively).
There are a few downsides the main one being that it doesn't have structure except what you put in it. I was trying to keep in on roof bars so it didn't scrape the roof so I ended up snapping one of the boogies boards trying to tighten it into a something vaguely rigid. Might work better when flat on the roof but was loathe to scratch a brand new car.
The straps tend to flop around so you have to tie them all up.
I added a couple of ratchet straps as I didn't trust the clip type straps with it.
Basically it's really fiddly and works best if stuffed full.
If only once a year, then you might put up with it however next year I'm getting a proper box.
Yeah that seems similar to what I saw in the E Niro forum (that may have been your post I was reading), 20% penalty seems about right.

Personally I'd have it flat on the roof with a mat to protect the roof, although I've a few scratches already so I'm not as worried about a few more.

I definitely agree having it full is best for reducing drag as much as possible, seems logical that something fairly flat is more aerodynamic than creases. Having it flat against the roof should also help reduce drag in my view, although I'd need to test it.

I think I might go ahead and get one for next year's camping season, it's not too much money sunk if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is what
a) I want to build
b) have someone build for me

View attachment 125761
where the boot area is extended using the rear hatch and can be completely removable in less than 5 minutes.
What you need is an estate leaf.

I've always loved hatchbacks but it's frustrating that you can't get a larger EV yet for carrying more.

Well okay, there's the Model X (if I had €100k I'd be paying off the mortgage, almost) or the ENV-200 (pretty spartan for the price), but not many good options.

Regarding your idea, does the whole boot extension need to be weather proof? Because you could jam a sheet of plywood sticking out the back of the boot as the bed and leave the boot lid open

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Folks, just wanted to say thanks for the replies so far. I think I'll go ahead with the roof bag for next year and see how it goes.

It'll be a while before I get it, but I'll try to post my experience with it afterwards

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
this is what
a) I want to build
b) have someone build for me

View attachment 125761
where the boot area is extended using the rear hatch and can be completely removable in less than 5 minutes.
I like the idea but you'll need to provide a set of repeater lights as well. What sort of mass are you looking at carrying in it as you are likely to need to beef up the rear springs to cope with it?
Also, are you planning on removing the rear spoiler and wiper blade to avoid them being in the way?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yeah that seems similar to what I saw in the E Niro forum (that may have been your post I was reading), 20% penalty seems about right.

Personally I'd have it flat on the roof with a mat to protect the roof, although I've a few scratches already so I'm not as worried about a few more.

I definitely agree having it full is best for reducing drag as much as possible, seems logical that something fairly flat is more aerodynamic than creases. Having it flat against the roof should also help reduce drag in my view, although I'd need to test it.

I think I might go ahead and get one for next year's camping season, it's not too much money sunk if it doesn't work out.
Yes probably my post.
It did work ok and was fine for our holiday (Llŷn peninsular North Wales, beautiful place)
I agree that I think they're likely to work best flat on the roof though I doubt it affects drag at lot.
Would definitely make it much easier to pack like that.
I think my e-Niro is more geared up for a normal roof box as it has roof rails unlike the leaf.
Note to self, I really should get around to selling my old leaf roof bars :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts