Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a customer today who had a leaf 62plate wasn't sure about 3.6kw or 7kw charge unit, I asked what it charged at standard 3kw or 6kw - he didn't no. Called the dealer - didn't no, called Nissan...... Guess what they didn't no either. Can any leaf drivers out there tell me how you can tell if the car charges at 3kw or if it has the upgrade to 6kw? (Without plugging it in to a 7kw and seeing if it's full after 4 hours) Cheers

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You have to cycle through the display on the dashboard using the "square" button in the little cluster of 4 to the right of the keyboard (the cluster that resets the trip).
One of the displays is estimated time to charge. If the 6.6kWh charger is fitted it will show two times - one for 3.3kWh and one for 6.6kWh; if only the 3.3kWh charger is fitted then it will only show one time,

However, I'm pretty sure (someone will correct me if not) that the 6.6kWh charger wasn't available on the Gen 1 Leaf (which a 62 plate car definitely is).

·
Registered
625 Posts
If it has a light interior it's a mk1 Jap built and 6.6kWh was never an option

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If it has a light interior it's a mk1 Jap built and 6.6kWh was never an option
One word of caution - the Gen 2 Acentas are available with a light interior as an option. It's not the same colour as the Gen 1, but it is lighter than the standard dark Gen 2 interior.

But, again, a 62 plate is definitely a Gen 1!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yep as flipper said. The best way to know for certain if it's a Gen 1 LEAF is the electronic handbrake.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have to cycle through the display on the dashboard using the "square" button in the little cluster of 4 to the right of the keyboard (the cluster that resets the trip).
One of the displays is estimated time to charge. If the 6.6kWh charger is fitted it will show two times - one for 3.3kWh and one for 6.6kWh; if only the 3.3kWh charger is fitted then it will only show one time,

However, I'm pretty sure (someone will correct me if not) that the 6.6kWh charger wasn't available on the Gen 1 Leaf (which a 62 plate car definitely is).[/QUOTE but there are always two times on the display even on 3 kw charger cars whatever which gen. one for the brick and one for the 16 a charger. so logicly there should be 3 times for gen 2. with 6.6 kw chargers. 10A ...16A and 32A charging..

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That's a good point - this is a screen shot from the US Owners manual of (obviously!) a car with the 6kWh charger installed:
upload_2014-5-29_14-58-37.png

...so on a car without the 6kWh you wouldn't see that option!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had a customer today who had a leaf 62plate wasn't sure about 3.6kw or 7kw charge unit, I asked what it charged at standard 3kw or 6kw - he didn't no. Called the dealer - didn't no, called Nissan...... Guess what they didn't no either. Can any leaf drivers out there tell me how you can tell if the car charges at 3kw or if it has the upgrade to 6kw? (Without plugging it in to a 7kw and seeing if it's full after 4 hours) Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes you might be right. but why are the 3kw and 6 kw times the same? Maybe they have a version:eek:ne display fitts all!
But in a week I will know better. My leaf should already arrive last week. hopefully I will get next week! then I can tell you for sure...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
OK, here's a pic from my car, which doesn't have the 6kWh charger. Note that it only shows one value...

As to why the US manual shows both times as identical, it did actually mention it in the manual, but it's at work so I can't recall what it said!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes you might be right. but why are the 3kw and 6 kw times the same? Maybe they have a version:eek:ne display fitts all!
But in a week I will know better. My leaf should already arrive last week. hopefully I will get next week! then I can tell you for sure...
From the manual:
• The 6 kW and the 3 kW charging time
typically shows different times to reach
the customer selected charge level.
• However, the same charging time may be
shown for both the 6 kW and the 3 kW based
on the Li-ion battery state of charge and battery
temperature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts