Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Leaf 30 is 4yrs and 4 months old and has done 31k miles. It has all the battery bars intact but a few days ago I did a round trip of 78 miles on the motorway at 60mph In perfect weather and limped back home with 12% charge! The car‘s been serviced as per the schedule and I can’t understand why this is happening. Even when fully charged, my car says the range is 99 miles. It used to say 120. I’m not sure what to do as I’m now getting nervous about trips that have been easy to do previously! I was told at the last service that the battery was in perfect condition, whatever that means.

Has anyone any experience of this?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My Leaf 30 is 4yrs and 4 months old and has done 31k miles. It has all the battery bars intact but a few days ago I did a round trip of 78 miles on the motorway at 60mph In perfect weather and limped back home with 12% charge! The car‘s been serviced as per the schedule and I can’t understand why this is happening. Even when fully charged, my car says the range is 99 miles. It used to say 120. I’m not sure what to do as I’m now getting nervous about trips that have been easy to do previously! I was told at the last service that the battery was in perfect condition, whatever that means.

Has anyone any experience of this?
Have had a look using LeafSpy app and OBD2 adapter?

You can pick an adapter for under 20 on Amazon

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You could also ask in anyone living nearby who could help you with this.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What is that likely to tell me?
It will tell you if you have any weak cells. That's the first thing to check for when the range starts to drop like that despite the battery appearing otherwise healthy.

Do you notice the remaining charge starting to drop faster and faster as your battery charge gets lower? This is also a fairly common giveaway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YES! This is exactly what happens! At one point we had a 25 mile overhead, or we should be back home with 25 miles to spare but suddenly that started dropping alarmingly with no explanation.
what can be done about this - the car is now well out of warranty!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
What is that likely to tell me?
Have a look at this thread.

I know it's long and I've posted took many times there

Using LeafSpy table screenshot at various levels of charge - fully charged, half way, and nearly depleted (without sitting too long)

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you have a 30kWh model you should have battery warranty still, even though the car may have expired warranty. Get in touch with a dealer to let them know about this and they should be able to send it off to get the battery refurbished by replacing the weak cells.

If you have leafspy data it will probably be easier to get them to sort it out as you can immediately confirm for them what the problem is, but otherwise just explain that your range is poor and falls alarmingly fast as the SOC drops down.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
YES! This is exactly what happens! At one point we had a 25 mile overhead, or we should be back home with 25 miles to spare but suddenly that started dropping alarmingly with no explanation.
what can be done about this - the car is now well out of warranty!
Is this a Leaf 24kWh?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Use Android if possible. The Bluetooth connection they use tends to be more reliable than the WiFi that the iPhone uses for connectivity.

The Konnwei KW902 is one of the most commonly recommended Bluetooth based dongles on here.

Someone else will likely post here soon with a direct link to one they have purchased recently and has confirmed it works well. That will hopefully save you from the risk of getting a fake.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
872 Posts
Also do t use the GOM as the indicator of range / miles.

Turn on the battery percent display and use that, mine used to plummet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, can anyone suggest a ODB2 adapter that will work well with leaf spy please. I’ve looked at the Konnwei and looks fine but I’d be happy to look at other that members may suggest!

My local dealer is a complete plonker so unless I have data to back up the battery problem, they will almost certainly try to claim that it’s perfectly normal for a 4 year old car and perhaps I should be looking at one of their shiny new Leaf models..

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Ok, can anyone suggest a ODB2 adapter that will work well with leaf spy please. I’ve looked at the Konnwei and looks fine but I’d be happy to look at other that members may suggest!

My local dealer is a complete plonker so unless I have data to back up the battery problem, they will almost certainly try to claim that it’s perfectly normal for a 4 year old car and perhaps I should be looking at one of their shiny new Leaf models..
I use this

The orange variant is 14.99

1 - 20 of 55 Posts