Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My Leaf 30 is 4yrs and 4 months old and has done 31k miles. It has all the battery bars intact but a few days ago I did a round trip of 78 miles on the motorway at 60mph In perfect weather and limped back home with 12% charge! The car‘s been serviced as per the schedule and I can’t understand why this is happening. Even when fully charged, my car says the range is 99 miles. It used to say 120. I’m not sure what to do as I’m now getting nervous about trips that have been easy to do previously! I was told at the last service that the battery was in perfect condition, whatever that means.

Has anyone any experience of this?
I believe that Nissan have software update to the BMS which improves the situation.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I believe that Nissan have software update to the BMS which improves the situation.
That’s a specific variant of BMS firmware that requires Leaf spy pro to identify. Easier to call Nissan and ask for pending updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Flame Red Leaf 30 Acenta
278 Posts
YES! This is exactly what happens! At one point we had a 25 mile overhead, or we should be back home with 25 miles to spare but suddenly that started dropping alarmingly with no explanation.
what can be done about this - the car is now well out of warranty!
Just to say that what you are describing is very similar to what I found in my recently purchased 3.5 year old 22k miles 30kw Leaf. The rate of battery loss seems to increase almost exponentially. First 30% battery giving 45 miles, second 30% giving 35 miles and final 30% giving maybe 25 miles, so 105 miles with 10% left.

A little better than your figures I know, but a similar experience in terms of battery diminishment.

I got an adaptor for my Android and it works very well with Leaf Spy (was going to recommend it but you've already ordered). When I checked, my cells were very even with no weak cells at all, typical spread of 10mV which I believe it pretty good. Overall State of Health was 92% with around 345 GIDS, all of which is also decent I am led to believe.

So it might be there isnt anything clearly wrong. Someone may correct me, but could the firmware update be a thing here? LeafSpy will tell you that aswell, assuming you pay a few quid for the Pro version.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
So it might be there isnt anything clearly wrong. Someone may correct me, but could the firmware update be a thing here? LeafSpy will tell you that aswell, assuming you pay a few quid for the Pro version.
The old software doesn't cause the range to drop faster. Weak cells do that. The update may of course help boost the SOH which I'm sure will be a welcome surprise if the update is still yet to be done and OP can also return to regularly seeing 100+ miles on a full charge again especially in these warmer temperatures. It's definitely not something that I would consider to be the cause however.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My 30 kWh Leaf is just coming up to 4 years old and 25000 miles. On LeafSpy my SOH is down to 88% and I'm lucky to get 100 miles real-world range. Looks like I've been unlucky with my battery. Looking back, the SOH 2 years ago was 98%, so an alarming 10% drop in 2 years. As I only use the car for local journeys it isn't actually an issue (yet). I would like to know what is going on though and what to expect. When I look at the individual cells on LeafSpy I don't see any obviously failing ones (although I haven't checked at a very low charge). I did ask about the 30 kWh battery fix a while ago and was told it wasn't applicable to my car as I have the 4NR6A firmware which indicates Japanese sourced cells which have a BMS which already has the fix in (or doesn't have the same problem). Can anyone remind me what is the guaranteed minimum SOH after 8 years under the warranty? At this rate I'm going to hit it I think.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Can anyone remind me what is the guaranteed minimum SOH after 8 years under the warranty? At this rate I'm going to hit it I think.
If you fall below 9 bars you can make a claim within the first 8 years and 100k miles. It's unlikely you will actually get that level of degradation. Battery wear gets slower and slower as it gets older in most cases as long as you continue to look after it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you fall below 9 bars you can make a claim within the first 8 years and 100k miles. It's unlikely you will actually get that level of degradation. Battery wear gets slower and slower as it gets older in most cases as long as you continue to look after it.
Thanks, just checked again as the battery is down to 32% charge and thought it might better indicate any failing cells. There is nothing obvious that I can see - grateful for any thoughts. The SOH has dropped another 1% to 86.96 so I guess I will lose a bar soon. What does 9 bars equate to in SOH?
Screenshot_20200801-173717.png

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My 30 kWh Leaf is just coming up to 4 years old and 25000 miles. On LeafSpy my SOH is down to 88% and I'm lucky to get 100 miles real-world range. Looks like I've been unlucky with my battery. Looking back, the SOH 2 years ago was 98%, so an alarming 10% drop in 2 years. As I only use the car for local journeys it isn't actually an issue (yet). I would like to know what is going on though and what to expect. When I look at the individual cells on LeafSpy I don't see any obviously failing ones (although I haven't checked at a very low charge). I did ask about the 30 kWh battery fix a while ago and was told it wasn't applicable to my car as I have the 4NR6A firmware which indicates Japanese sourced cells which have a BMS which already has the fix in (or doesn't have the same problem). Can anyone remind me what is the guaranteed minimum SOH after 8 years under the warranty? At this rate I'm going to hit it I think.
4NR6A firmware tend to report SoH greater than 100% in early days and has less loss of SoH compared to 4NR4A/B firmware

·
Registered
203 Posts
4NR6A firmware tend to report SoH greater than 100% in early days and has less loss of SoH compared to 4NR4A/B firmware

Thanks for that. It doesn't seem to apply though in my case. From what I have read, 13% in less than 4 years is more than expected. I bought the car at just under 2 years and the guy I bought from charged it full every night in the week as he had a long commute. I don't think that should have damaged the battery as long as it didn't sit for long periods at 100%. At time of purchase the SOH was 98% - but I'm wondering now if he'd bumped it up with a few rapid charges. I generally keep the charge between 30 and 90% and only charge to 100% if I know I'm going somewhere the next day. I very rarely use a rapid charger.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Thanks for that. It doesn't seem to apply though in my case. From what I have read, 13% in less than 4 years is more than expected. I bought the car at just under 2 years and the guy I bought from charged it full every night in the week as he had a long commute. I don't think that should have damaged the battery as long as it didn't sit for long periods at 100%. At time of purchase the SOH was 98% - but I'm wondering now if he'd bumped it up with a few rapid charges. I generally keep the charge between 30 and 90% and only charge to 100% if I know I'm going somewhere the next day. I very rarely use a rapid charger.
I don’t think the bump would be that substantial with a few rapids. It is possible that you haven’t balanced the battery fully if you only ever charge it to 90% and SoH is not accurate enough. Run or down as low as you can and then fully charge it

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don’t think the bump would be that substantial with a few rapids. It is possible that you haven’t balanced the battery fully if you only ever charge it to 90% and SoH is not accurate enough. Run or down as low as you can and then fully charge it

will do, thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Remember the cells are only balanced on a 100% charge so it is good for the battery to receive a 100% from time to time - say once a month. However it is not good to leave the battery at 100% so the 100% charges need to be carefully timed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Last night I went and ran the car until the range went to three dashes at between 4 and 5%. I then ran the services on full until leafspy showed the battery down to 0.9 kWh. I noticed the state of charge shown in leafspy diverged more and more from what the car was showing. Down to about 15% on the car display, it only differed by 3 or 4%. By the time I got down to what the car thought was 4%, leafspy was still at 11%. Is this because leafspy can see hidden safety capacity that is there to stop the battery fully discharging? The millivolts difference between cells increased throughout to around 20mV, increasing to 36 mV when I finally chickened out and turned everything off at 0.9 kWh remaining on leafspy. I then charged it fully overnight and presumably it did all the balancing it needed. This morning, the SOH is the same as before with the difference between cells down to 8mV. When I stopped, the odometer showed 86 miles and allowing for a little bit of reserve in there, the range is less than 90 miles. This on a warm day with normal driving and nothing excessive. The stats in the app and on the car indicate I'm getting around 4.2 miles/kWh. This would indicate my actual available capacity is around 22 kWh. Am I misinterpreting something?
Discharged.png
Charged.png

·
Registered
278 Posts
As an aside, why has the L1/L2 number increased by 2. I used the charge timer as usual for a single charge to coincide with my off-peak period. Does this somehow cause double counting?
Apologies for my ignorance, what does the L1/L2 indicate?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ignore me, remembered I had the Leaf Spy manual, looked it up :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
L1/L2 is ALL AC Charging.
QC is ALL DC Charging.

Using a charge timer counts the charge twice, since when you first plug in it does very briefly charge while it gets itself set up.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts