Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! As some of you may know I bought a used Leaf 30 last weekend that I found has 2 weak cells.

Last week while on nights I managed to get about 90 miles driving no faster than 50mph and lots of 45mph, I got 90 literally when my battery was about to conk out.

At a lower speed I tend to get 1 mile per 1%, but this drops when I get passed 50% battery.

Today I tried to test dual carriageway way speed to get. An idea of motorway distance between charges, I monitored range between 80% and 14% and LBW driving no faster then 60 - 65 mph, no heating or air on and got a range of 48m. This way dry, using Eco and paying attention to my power dots to be gentle. Towards the end I did about 5 miles at 70mph with fast acceleration to simulate real motorway overtaking etc.

Please can anyone comment there range at the moment in a Leaf 30, in particular from say 80 to 20%.

Many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
This is clearly very low, but there are a lot of unusual factors at play at present:
  • cold - anything below 10C and the range drops considerably even without the heater on
  • wind - any significant wind (apart from a tailwind) knocks range
  • wet roads - again knocks range by up to 10%
Did you zero the trip data before starting? If you did you'll have an energy used figure as well as an average consumption figure. This will tell you how much energy you used to get that drop in capacity.

The LEAF capacity figure is based upon the lowest cell voltage. What does LeafSpy say about the voltage difference?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is clearly very low, but there are a lot of unusual factors at play at present:
  • cold - anything below 10C and the range drops considerably even without the heater on
  • wind - any significant wind (apart from a tailwind) knocks range
  • wet roads - again knocks range by up to 10%
Did you zero the trip data before starting? If you did you'll have an energy used figure as well as an average consumption figure. This will tell you how much energy you used to get that drop in capacity.

The LEAF capacity figure is based upon the lowest cell voltage. What does LeafSpy say about the voltage difference?
Average voltage differenc3 between 90 and 120mV!!,

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
As opposed to 12 - 15 mV on my 64 plate LEAF24. I suggest that you reject the car and make it someone else's problem.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
My understanding is that yours isn't as bad as the other example in the linked thread which means that you haven't lost as much capacity and are less likely to get Nissan to act under warranty which they only do in really bad cases and after some education / a fight. No doubt yours will get gradually worse but you'll be putting up with reduced range in the interim.
Why put up with the hassle rather than just reject the purchase based on an undisclosed fault?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m coming round to rejecting the car now! Can I reject if they claim there is no fault and the battery bars show 12?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
They can try but then as long as you have data showing there is a hidden fault i would imagine the ombudsman would side with you.

Personally I'd start leaving it at high or low states of charge to drive it down harder. Under 10% SoC should soon see them dropping more.

It's bad as it will pull the other cells down as well and the bms kicks in low charge warnings based on the weakest cells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts