Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering who tried such a venture. Besides the legal Bit as I think you are not supposed to sleep inside your vehicle.
I will use (if i even dare to do it..) a leaf30. At least doesn't have the special Hump in the back.

Should I get like a proper cut wood bit to make it flatter? As I think there is no market for Nissan leaf-shaped mattresses..

Or just don't even bother and use something like this (Amazing priced room!) ?- 18 round Paris

Main purpose was this - ABRP - 1424 Miles from UK to Portugal.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,437 Posts
Why not get a decent adapter, book a camping site and charge the car while you sleep in a tent

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Wow, I can't imagine sleeping in my Leaf 30. The difference in height between the boot floor and back seats folded down is enormous. No way you could pad that out without carrying a lot of useless padding around with you. Not a car for sleeping in IMHO.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I can't imagine sleeping in my Leaf 30. The difference in height between the boot floor and back seats folded down is enormous. No way you could pad that out without carrying a lot of useless padding around with you. Not a car for sleeping in IMHO.
Thanks for that, so now only Tent or Hostel left. Tent cheap but uncomfortable / Hotel Better sleep but terrible for parking probably.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks for that, so now only Tent or Hostel left. Tent cheap but uncomfortable / Hotel Better sleep but terrible for parking probably.
You can get a decent tent. Okay I spent a free hundred to get an air tent that had only seen one use so far.

30 mins to set it up fully. Picked mine from my Decathlon

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,838 Posts
Bruno
That is an awesome journey - 40 hours including charging but excluding sleeping, with little provision for Plan B given the number of Rapid charges planned. I take my hat off to you for even contemplating it. Are you sharing the driving with someone?
Being Debbie Downer for a moment, have you considered that the LEAF30 battery gets very close to / overheats with repeated driving and Rapid charging? You really need to reduce the charging rate or stop for an extended period every three charges. Doing so would obviously extend the journey time considerably.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Bruno
That is an awesome journey - 40 hours including charging but excluding sleeping, with little provision for Plan B given the number of Rapid charges planned. I take my hat off to you for even contemplating it. Are you sharing the driving with someone?
Being Debbie Downer for a moment, have you considered that the LEAF30 battery gets very close to / overheats with repeated driving and Rapid charging? You really need to reduce the charging rate or stop for an extended period every three charges. Doing so would obviously extend the journey time considerably.
3rd rapid charge will get the battery in red

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hotel required!

Its a lot of driving, potentially stressful with all the charging, what you want at the end of the day is a warm shower and a good nights sleep.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,838 Posts
3rd rapid charge will get the battery in red

I've yet to experience this and wonder whether there is an "sweet spot" where slower driving (say 40 MPH on a Route National) would allow repeated charging without the need for an extended stop? The one time that I got close to overheating was just before an extended 4 hour stop, during which time the battery barely cooled down to normal working temperature. Fortunately (?) on the way back we had a couple of unscheduled delays due to traffic and an occupied "no plan B" Rapid.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bruno
Yeah, will be a bit of a mountain to climb. No volunteers to share so far.
I think this new world we are in, opened my eyes to new stuff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts