Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67:30 Black
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Leafers.

Odd problem today. Did afew miles this morning and came home with about 35% left (67 miles using 60%, pleased with myself). Plugged the car into my pod point charger, pressed the time button to override my schedule and wandered off.

Popped to the supermarket this evening and when I drove off, the charge level had not gone up. I thought nothing of it, maybe I didn't press the override button after all?

Got to the supermarket and plugged into the pod point there. I was in a rush and didn't pay attention to the blue charge lights. I confirmed the charge using the app while shopping.

Got back to the car and it hadn't charged again.

Went home, plugged in and the blue lights didn't start flashing. Disabled the charging schedule, still refused to charge. Did a bit of googling and that lead to me disconnecting the battery for a while.

Still refused to charge.

Finally tried the granny charger and that's working just fine. I also rode a polar rapid a couple of days ago and that was fine too.

So it appears that the issue might be my type 2 to type 1 cable? I use that at home and use it at the supermarket.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Maybe it's pod point and not my cable at all?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
It's certainly not unknown for a cable to develop a fault. Some time ago a forum member near here asked the same question and I popped round to use my cable in his PodPoint to charge both of our cars and then to try his cable in my car which failed. Not sure what he did after that. Either bought another or had it repaired.

Why not give an indication of your locality to see if a forum member nearby was willing to eliminate the cable issue like that.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I had issue with my Nissan cable for a few days. Took it home to see what the problem might be while the spare cable from boot was used.

After 2 days at home in Winter, it magically worked like it did before

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I had issue with my Nissan cable for a few days. Took it home to see what the problem might be while the spare cable from boot was used.

After 2 days at home in Winter, it magically worked like it did before

Shove it in airing cupboard

·
Registered
112 Posts
Type 1 connectors have a microswitch under the button that sometimes fail, this might give rise to similar symptoms. It's also worth checking continuity between all the wires at each end of your cable, if the pilot/signalling wire has a break then you will find it pretty quickly; it sounds like the car isn't even detecting the cable being plugged in, so my money would be on this being the problem.

Reactions: arkranium

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I fully charged on the granny last night, no problem, and went out for the day today.

A nice afternoon by the river in Wallingford saw the car parked in a field in direct sunlight. Car got cooked with the misbehaving cable left in the boot.

Came home and figured I'd try it again, just for fun. Lo and behold, it's now charging. So the airing cupboard may well have worked too.

I think the car was recognising the cable as the my leaf app was saying cable connected.

Rising damp? :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
So I fully charged on the granny last night, no problem, and went out for the day today.

A nice afternoon by the river in Wallingford saw the car parked in a field in direct sunlight. Car got cooked with the misbehaving cable left in the boot.

Came home and figured I'd try it again, just for fun. Lo and behold, it's now charging. So the airing cupboard may well have worked too.

I think the car was recognising the cable as the my leaf app was saying cable connected.

Rising damp? :)
Yes in my case the Nissan app would show corrected but charge wouldn't start.

Good stuff

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Well done. So once you've fully dried it out you'll want to prevent it happening again. What make of cable is it? Is the button or lever that goes at the car end sealed or could it allow water in?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the original Nissan cable. I'll give it a good inspection tomorrow. I think it did rain on the night I last charged using it.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
So is the release button covered by a flexible plastic cover?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Try spraying the area around the button with WD-40 - it may be that the microswitch is sticking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup. Can you post a photo of what it should look like please?

I'll go back to Nissan. Car is under warranty and they supplied it with an incomplete lead.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sold mine off so this is the best picture

Thanks @Hermit Dave. I have the end caps, they're just out of photo. But there's no shroud /cover over the release button as suggested by @dk6780 ?

I'll spray some WD in tomorrow and have a look at all the seams, perhaps seal them up. It's more likely that the ingress is around the release button though.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
There are two sorts, one with a button release which can be stiff to use but is covered, the other that you have with no cover but an easier release mechanism. I can only suggest WD-40 as a cure as I can't think how you can protect it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts