Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been to test drive a 2016 30kwh Leaf today, but the first thing I noticed was the missing battery bar.. :eek: Here's the screenshots from LeafSpy, looks like the HV Battery is on 4NR4A, does this mean it needs the BMS updating and any ideas as to the likely SOH if it's updated? Read on here of someone going from 71-85% SOH after the update, that would give this car around a 90% SOH...
View attachment 134990

View attachment 134991

View attachment 134992

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The BMS update will help, but the battery has had a relatively hard life given an average of only 17 miles per charge. My guess is that it has spent most of its time plugged in at full charge.
Bottom line is that you have around 4 years/57,000 miles of battery guarantee left, if you don't need the full capacity of the battery and the price is right - go for it. Otherwise wait for a better one.
What spec and condition is it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The BMS update will help, but the battery has had a relatively hard life given an average of only 17 miles per charge. My guess is that it has spent most of its time plugged in at full charge.
Bottom line is that you have around 4 years/57,000 miles of battery guarantee left, if you don't need the full capacity of the battery and the price is right - go for it. Otherwise wait for a better one.
What spec and condition is it?
How does the L1/L2 charge figure work, I've heard that the figure displayed is doubled? It's an ex RCI car at a Dealer (I read that it was a former rental car?) It's a 16 plate Tekna and from what I've seen of it in it's unprepared state, the condition looks really good, not dents or scrapes, just a couple of minor scratches and the alloys look good (The seats barely look like they've been sat in!).

It's up for £10700 (which I think is pretty cheap and maybe reflects the current battery state?) I'm thinking of a 48 month PCP - 1.5k deposit plus £600 dealer contribution giving 48 payments of £155 and a GFV of £3519. My thoughts were that if the SOH health goes close to 90% it appears to be a bargain?

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's what I thought... maybe it's the screwed up BMS issue??
Could well be!

Looks like the BMS would be 4C if it had been updated, worth asking the garage to do it (shouldn’t take long and is in their interests) and do the deal if it jumps up a decent amount?

What is considered normal degradation per year on a Leaf30 that’s had the BMS update out of interest?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I'm thinking of a 48 month PCP - 1.5k deposit plus £600 dealer contribution giving 48 payments of £155 and a GFV of £3519.
That GFV looks a bit high to me. It'll be 8 years old by then. Will it really be worth that much. If it isn't you'll be handing it back. Mind you at £155 a month, you could consider that you are renting it.

The same happened to me with Titanic. The GFV was greater than the then second hand value and we couldn't get RCI to come to a reasonable compromise (I've had a real fun time with RCI. Oh Boy yes) and sent it back with no deposit available for my next car.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That GFV looks a bit high to me. It'll be 8 years old by then. Will it really be worth that much. If it isn't you'll be handing it back. Mind you at £155 a month, you could consider that you are renting it.

The same happened to me with Titanic. The GFV was greater than the then second hand value and we couldn't get RCI to come to a reasonable compromise (I've had a real fun time with RCI. Oh Boy yes) and sent it back with no deposit available for my next car.
even the earliest leafs with terrible batteries havent dropped much below 5k yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Not having any real experience of PCP's I'm assuming the GFV is the 'Average' CAP price or trade-in value? I thought that the car would be still worth more than this in 4 years time, partly (and this is assuming the battery issue is resolved with the BMS update) that I'm seeing similar specified cars on sale between 12-13k so to me it's already a good £1500 under priced. I think these will be worth 5k trade-in in 4 years personally.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
even the earliest leafs with terrible batteries havent dropped much below 5k yet.
And 13 plate Teknas are still going for £7.5k...
Yeah, but what about when they're 8 years old. How much appetite will there be for purchase then? You're going to have to be happy with short range by then. We are talking about Leafs here.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I thought that the car would be still worth more than this in 4 years time,
It's a tactic dealers use to bring down the monthly payments. The method is that if it's not worth that you hand it back and there's nothing to pay. Now is that fair to you? The dealer's working on the fact that he/she probably won't be at that dealership by then (highly likely as they move around a lot). Leaves you with no deposit for your next one. That's fine if you have the spare cash or don't mind doing a no deposit deal, with the higher payments involved. It's a gamble. Personally, I would ask what the GFV was if I paid a bit more a month and see if the GFV was more realistic.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Reactions: rikdud

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you buy a 16 plate Leaf with 114k miles on the clock for £9k...!!??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a tactic dealers use to bring down the monthly payments. The method is that if it's not worth that you hand it back and there's nothing to pay. Now is that fair to you? The dealer's working on the fact that he/she probably won't be at that dealership by then (highly likely as they move around a lot). Leaves you with no deposit for your next one. That's fine if you have the spare cash or don't mind doing a no deposit deal, with the higher payments involved. It's a gamble. Personally, I would ask what the GFV was if I paid a bit more a month and see if the GFV was more realistic.
I understand some dealers might leverage the GFV to make the monthly payments lower but this car is a Nissan Intelligent Choice car from a main dealer... the GFV is exactly the same on Nissans site for both 36 and 48 month PCP's. I personally this the GFV isn't high..

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Would you buy a 16 plate Leaf with 114k miles on the clock for £9k...!!??
I don't know. High mileage doesn't seem to have the same detrimental effect on EV as it does on ICE cars. Motors don't wear the same as engines, gearboxes and other assorted ICE bits. It depends on what LeafSpy tells you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts