Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is interesting. I bought my first Leaf (2016 Acenta with 30kwh/6.6kw) on Monday and haven't had any joy getting through the verification stage despite trying several times now. I'm intrigued by what you said above about disabling the data upload services in the settings. Could you tell me how would that be done?

Despite buying the car in Scotland, it's clearly made its way here from the previous owner in Ireland, as all of the satnav bookmarks were places around there. What concerns me is that it's still tied to the previous owner in other ways, although the Nissan website says "Your vehicle has been added recently to the portal." when I try to do the fruitless ownership verification.
Check out this earlier post Leaf 30kWh Advice Sought

Reactions: infoxicated

·
Registered
2016 Leaf 30kw + 6.6kw charger
6 Posts
I'll maybe call Nissan then. From what I've read it doesn't sound like the app is worth the effort but I should at least try whilst I'm still keen enough to pursue it! :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Fox- All of the third-party apps use the logon authority servers and API calls from Nissan servers, unless you get an authenticated logon to their app and servers, you won't be able to use third-party ones either, so it's pretty much a must do for you.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
So you were definitely able to add your VIN number to the You+Nissan portal, and the car is now shown there ? If so, then don't worry, it is no longer attached to the previous owners account.
Yes, I was and it shows up in my account on the Nissan site.
The week of emails etc to Nissan was to get the car removed from the previous owners account. I emailed copies of my drivers license and new V5C and apart from it taking a long time the process was fairly easy. They didn't just delete it from the previous owners account, they actually added it to my You+Nissan account which I had previously created, so in the end I didn't have to do the VIN adding process myself.

I tried maybe 5 times to get the verification of ownership of the car process to work without luck - it just stalled at the step after telling you to turn the car off.
I've given it three attempts now and no dice. I did try last night when I was in a different area of town that gets better cell reception but I couldn't trigger the process via my mobile phone, frustratingly. If I'd taken my Chromebook with me I could have used my phone as a hotspot and done it. Doesn't seem like I would have been any more successful though. ;)
So what I did on the car was go into settings, nissan connect services, then used "initialise all nissan connect svcs settings", and after that also went into "data upload settings" and made sure share vehicle information was enabled.

I don't know for sure whether it was the initialise option or just turning back on data upload settings (which I had previously disabled when I found the previous owner would still have access) which solved it, but the very next attempt went through.
I've not been able to find anything like that in the settings. Like there's nothing that says "Nissan connect services". Even the salesman couldn't find it when I asked him to show me but then they aren't a proper Nissan dealer so I wasn't expecting him to be well versed. I shall take another look tonight when I head out. Trying to avoid looking to my neighbours like the pillock that bought a new car that can't help visiting it a dozen times a day. I mean, that's actually true because I'm kind of smitten, but I don't want them thinking that!
Also the email from nissan support who set up the car on my account said to turn the car on for 5 minutes rather than the one minute that the website says, so maybe give that a try. The activation completed for me in a couple of minutes and before I had turned the car off again.
When I gave it a go at lunchtime today I sat in it for about ten minutes before I went back to the PC to check. I then got an email from Nissan after 45 minutes saying I didn't have long to complete the process... like I hadn't been trying! 😅
Fox- All of the third-party apps use the logon authority servers and API calls from Nissan servers, unless you get an authenticated logon to their app and servers, you won't be able to use third-party ones either, so it's pretty much a must do for you.:rolleyes:
I thought as much - thanks for confirming. (y)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I'll maybe call Nissan then. From what I've read it doesn't sound like the app is worth the effort but I should at least try whilst I'm still keen enough to pursue it! :D
As long as it works reliably (hah!) the stop/start remote climate control is pretty nice. It's just a shame it doesn't report the internal cabin temperature so you know whether you need it or not before seeing the car. (For example before leaving work)

Of course reports abound that in peak times (mornings) in winter the Nissan servers get overloaded causing it to not work or work with long delays. So the fact that mine seems to be working reliably and quickly at the moment doesn't mean it will in winter!

Of course you can set the climate control timer in the car for mornings (since that doesn't rely on connected services) and just use the app to start climate control in the evenings or at other odd times when the servers aren't as busy.

Being able to start a charge remotely is only useful if you use the charge timer (as I do) however its usefulness is somewhat negated by not being able to stop the charge remotely.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Yes, I was and it shows up in my account on the Nissan site.

I've given it three attempts now and no dice. I did try last night when I was in a different area of town that gets better cell reception but I couldn't trigger the process via my mobile phone, frustratingly. If I'd taken my Chromebook with me I could have used my phone as a hotspot and done it. Doesn't seem like I would have been any more successful though. ;)
Did you check the mobile coverage of the car ? You should have an icon in the top right of the screen that looks like a car with a wifi signal icon on it. If it doesn't have coverage I think it has a red cross, although I've never seen mine out of coverage yet. Not all screens show the car icon at the top, for example camera mode doesn't, try the map view if you don't see it.

If the car is from Ireland is it possible it has a SIM that won't get coverage in the UK and the sim needs changing ? I don't know if their 3G coverage is international with roaming or not, and I don't even know what network they use to be honest.
I've not been able to find anything like that in the settings. Like there's nothing that says "Nissan connect services". Even the salesman couldn't find it when I asked him to show me but then they aren't a proper Nissan dealer so I wasn't expecting him to be well versed. I shall take another look tonight when I head out. Trying to avoid looking to my neighbours like the pillock that bought a new car that can't help visiting it a dozen times a day. I mean, that's actually true because I'm kind of smitten, but I don't want them thinking that!
Press the Menu button, then settings at the bottom of the touch screen interface, then press the greater than/right arrow on the far right of the touch screen interface to go to a second screen and connected services should be there on the top left, in there you'll find the option to initialise connected services. There is another way to get to this settings page as well although I don't remember what it is without going out to the car and looking like I'm also visiting it a dozen times a day. :LOL:

·
Registered
348 Posts
2g not 3g for Nissan

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think you'll find 3g only on very late 2019 cars and later. There is an awful lot of permanent infrastructure based on 2G networks, traffic signals, irrigation, survey instruments etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you check the mobile coverage of the car ? You should have an icon in the top right of the screen that looks like a car with a wifi signal icon on it. If it doesn't have coverage I think it has a red cross, although I've never seen mine out of coverage yet. Not all screens show the car icon at the top, for example camera mode doesn't, try the map view if you don't see it.
The icon is showing in the top of the screen so it does seem to have a connection to the network. I doubt having come from Ireland is a showstopper as I'm sure (not really) they have all the same EU roaming benefits as we enjoy. Well, until... you know. ;)

The reception in my area is somewhat patchy at my house so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. My girlfriend wants me to run an errand for her before I go to her place tonight so I might well head out with my laptop and see if I can trigger it from a vantage point with better reception.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This evening I inadvertently discovered that there is something weird about the setup of the menus in my Leaf. Today we did a 75 mile journey with a rapid charging stop at the half way point and used the built in navigation. I was driving and my girlfriend was setting up the trip and she said it kept giving her the distance in kilometers. She is reasonably tech savy so went hunting about the menus to switch it but could not figure it out.

It's obvious that my Leaf spent its previous life in Ireland somewhere. That doesn't bother me, really, and does explain why it was set to kilometres in the satnav menu.

Anyhow, as she couldn't figure it out so we just left it as it was and I'm happy to report that we enjoyed a flawless drive to the caravan park we're staying at this weekend.

However, once we got here I went out and poured through the menus to try and change it before finding a YouTube video that showed it was tied to the language settings. In the same video I could see the option for Nissan Connect services that @DBMandrake mentioned earlier in the thread and that is definitely missing from my menu.

So it looks like I do indeed have a different version of the Nissan software and it probably is because mine came from Ireland. Now, I fear my chances of getting the app working are unlikely without a software update. I wonder what that will set me back? :censored:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Interesting. Do you see anythinng in the menus about "Carwings" ? That was the name of the remote control system before it was rebranded Nissan Connect some time in 2016. It does much the same thing though, and I think it is compatible with the same smartphone app.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Front tyres always wear about 2 to 3 times faster than rears in a FWD car since the front tyres are doing the steering (lateral grip/slip angle when cornering especially if understeering) putting down all the power when accelerating (and sometimes enduring wheel spin/slip) and also doing about 70% of all braking.

I've never been a believer in just letting the front tyres wear down and then just replace them while letting the rears stay on for years longer - swapping fronts and rears when the fronts are about 1mm or more down on the rear so that they can equalise gets you the maximum mileage from the tyres, and also avoids running very old tyres on the rear that may be starting to go hard and losing their grip despite having plenty of tread. (Wait until the rear end spins out on a wet road because those ancient rear tyres have gone hard with age and have been overlooked because they still have plenty of tread...)

I'm also not a believer of always having the best tyres on the rear of a FWD car - nobody will care that the rear didn't spin out under hard braking if the nose plowed into the car in front of you due to the worst tyres being on the front where >70% of the braking is done...

Obviously you don't want good tyres on the front and bald ones on the back - that is dangerous, but if we're talking about 6mm vs 4mm tread depth then it's perfectly OK to move the 6mm tread to the front where extra grip is required vs the rear which just needs to follow and is not braking hard nor accelerating at all.

I've just recently done something similar on the Xantia where the front tyres were getting down maybe 2mm vs the rears which have hardly worn - swapped them to the rear and the handling is absolutely fine and safe, and I like to really push that car so I would know if the handling had become unsafe in any way.

I know the whole put your best tyres on the rear or front debate is quite controversial but provided that the worst tyres still have a decent amount of tread it can be beneficial for the best ones to be on the front on a FWD car and can sometimes even improve the handling balance slightly. Personally I prefer to rotate front to rear before the difference between them gets too significant.

Also keep in mind that the electronic stability control on modern cars will go a long way towards arresting any slight tendency for the rear of the car to step out even if it did happen. So the risk is even lower than it was with an old car like the Xantia that has no ESC or even traction control.
Nice post. What's the future plans for the hydraulic Citroen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting. Do you see anythinng in the menus about "Carwings" ? That was the name of the remote control system before it was rebranded Nissan Connect some time in 2016. It does much the same thing though, and I think it is compatible with the same smartphone app.
When it boots up it says Nissan Connect on the screen but that services menu option just isn't there. I will call Nissan when I get back on Monday to see if I can get it sorted at a dealership.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Nice post. What's the future plans for the hydraulic Citroen?
It's staying... :) I'll hang onto it as along as I can for a weekend/fun car. I bought it for £450 in 2014 so it doesn't owe me anything. Despite its age and a few repairs it has needed in that time (most recently an AC compressor) it's been a pretty reliable car and it's still under 90k miles.

I've had 6 years good use out of it and nothing rides like it does Leaf included which is pretty bumpy/bouncy by comparison. Acceleration wise it leaves the Leaf in the dust, not surprisingly, 140kW vs 80... Rust is starting to catch up to it (bubbles under the paint :() but I think it will be the low emissions zones coming into force that will finally put it off the road when they come in a few years from now, so the aim is to keep it going until then.

It just passed its MOT on Friday with no advisories.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
The car will sort it.😁
The LEAF (at least '64 onwards) appears to do this automatically. First time I went through the rigmarole of letting air out and watching the display drop, which got some funny looks at the filling station. :eek:
Since then I can confirm that the readout adjusts between at least 3 sets of wheels without having to use the forget function.
Tyres successfully swapped yesterday.

According to the manual the car does not in fact automatically detect tyres being swapped around - you must use the "TPMS Reset" option from the dashboard menu. From the manual:

"TPMS Reset: To keep the TPMS functioning properly, the reset must be performed in the following cases:

• When the tyre pressure is adjusted
  • When a tyre or a wheel is replaced
  • When the tyres are rotated
"

After doing this Leaf spy seems to be reporting the correct tyre pressure locations of the rotated tyres. So Leafspy is not needed when you swap wheels around but you do need to do the TPMS reset on the dashboard.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Did you try driving it first and then checking it?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Did you try driving it first and then checking it?
I did drive it for a day before doing the reset yes. I did not get a chance to actually try letting a tyre down to see for sure which reading changed however I did notice that the "rear" tyres seemed to increase in pressure more with driving than the fronts before the reset and now its the other way around with the fronts increasing more as you'd expect. Circumstantial evidence as the differential pressure changes are small. I'd say it's probably just a good idea to do the TPMS reset after rotating tyres as the manual says to. It's definitely the right way around now.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
One thing I've noticed driving the Leaf compared to the Ion is that my miles/kWh efficiency for the first 10 miles or so of driving is pretty poor, even if I pre-heat. (although that does help a bit) Somewhere around 3.8, despite not driving particularly fast. I notice this if I reset the miles/kWh monitor on the dashboard before the trip.

Some of that is due to the fact that the energy required to initially accelerate the mass of a car up to speed is quite high compared to the per mile consumption. So unless you take the figure after you've stopped again (entirely using regen) or after you've driven for many miles (so that the per mile consumption swamps the initial acceleration consumption) there is an inherent bias in including the energy to go from zero to travelling speed, (which equals a few miles of continuous speed driving) especially motorway speed which makes the consumption for the first part of the trip look worse than it really is per mile.

But it looks like the main reason is the total lack of regen at 100% charge. My morning commute is 18 miles - if I start at 100% I still have 85% left when I get to work. Approximately half that journey I have basically little or no regen.

A few days last week I tried driving to work starting from approx 80% and the difference in miles/kWh achieved is dramatic. For the first half of the journey (which is slower) I'm seeing around 4.7 miles/kWh vs 3.8, and for the entire journey I'm seeing about 4.3 vs 4.0. No change in driving style or weather.

So lack of regen at a full charge hurts efficiency a lot more than you'd imagine - by up to nearly 1 mile/kWh during the period of time when you have no regen... so one very good reason not to charge to 100% is improved efficiency due to having proper regen available for the entire journey, not to mention that regen makes the car a lot nicer to drive than riding the brake pedal, which I don't like, as the car really just wants to keep rolling without regen if you don't.

I've settled on a charge timer scheme which works for me. We leave for work in the morning around 7:30am Monday - Friday. I have the charge end timer set to 10am Monday to Thursday, 7am on Friday, and disabled on Saturday and Sunday. Setting the end timer 2 1/2 hours late is about right to end up with an 80% charge plus or minus a few percent regardless of what it started at, as long as my departure time is fairly consistent. So Monday-Thursday I can start with 80% which means the car starts with full regen and doesn't see a 100% charge except on a Friday.

On Friday it gets a 100% charge which allows it to balance the cells. (Although it does look like the Leaf can do balancing when the car is in ready mode as well...) On Saturday and Sunday the car will not charge automatically at all even when plugged in - and after a 100% charge on Friday it means the car will still have about 60-70% available to use on the weekend without charging, which is plenty unless we specifically go on a long trip. Most times the car would not need charging again until Monday morning on the timer.

If we do decide to go on a long trip the car is already plugged in on Friday night and I can just issue a start charge from the app on Friday night or Saturday night as applicable to override the charge timer. Even if I start it first thing in the morning on Saturday or Sunday the 6kW charger tops up from 70% to 98% really quickly.

An 80% charge option would have been so much nicer (especially for always having regen) but this will do.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
So I've discovered a flaw in my climate control timer idea. Or more correctly, a flaw in Nissan's implementation... It seems that if you use the in-car climate control timer it essentially overrides the charge end timer. :(

For example, if I have the charge end timer set to 10am (which gives me about 80% charge by 7:30am) and the climate control departure timer set to 7:30am, (heating coming on approximately at 7am and going off at 7:30am) the car will completely ignore the 10am charge end time and start charging extremely early (around 4:30am - hours before the climate control comes on) to make sure the car is at 100% by 7:30am. Doh!

However if you schedule remote climate control using the App (which is essentially just a delayed, manual start of remote climate control) this doesn't happen and it works as you'd expect. :confused:

161 - 180 of 182 Posts