Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are in Greenwich and find yourself wanting to see a Leaf 40, the slightly cheesey Nissan Experience place at the O2 Arena / Millennium Dome have a japanese import version there to get a look at.

First thoughts: Buttons. Lots of buttons.
So much of the car is the same as the existing Leaf models, but the big changes are:
Body panels: Front panel, headlights, front wings are a different shape. Rear B pillars slightly different pressing to cater for redesigned light cluster.
DSC_0516.JPG
Charge port has been moved up into the bonnet, above a fake (smooth) grille that hides the Pro-pilot radar. and for Europe, has a type 2 socket rather than type 1. (This one, being Japanese, was type 1)
Dashboard: Out goes the double binnacle and digital speedometer. In comes a Pseudo-analog physical speedometer needle. It'll probably still intentionally under-read by 10%.
Central console : Much bigger, and somewhat overpowering, so if you ever need to exit the driver's seat via the passenger side, there's much more to step over. Electronic parking brake is back - to support the parking assist mode. We will see how reliable this one is, since Nissan removed it last time for reliability problems.
Buttons. Lots more buttons. One for e-pedal on/off, one for Pro-Pilot on/off, one for parking assist on/off.
Boot: The floor of the boot is deeper, there seems to be a bit more space between the wheel wells. but they still insist on having that stupid bose subwoofer taking up valuable boot space on the model I saw.
Dashboard language was Japanese, Radio / Satnav was Japanese, so I didn't get to play with that much.
One very odd change : The indicator stalk on this one is on the right, wiper on the left, which is the opposite to current Leafs. This could be a variant between the Japanese version and the European version.
DSC_0514.JPG DSC_0513.JPG
Battery pack is still in the same place, the same shape, and voltage. Any unwillingness of Nissan to offer the 40kWh pack as a retrofit on the current 23kWh/30kWh models is mostly a software support and business process issue, in the same sort of way that they've stated there's no process to fit a 30kWh pack in a car that previously had a 24kWh pack. ("No process to..." often is mistranslated as "impossible to"). They worked out a formal process for replacing the battery pack with the newer chemistry packs when Gen 1.0 cars were showing early degradation problems in hot places like Arizona.

Doors, overall Seat design, parcel shelf, windscreen and other windows are still the same as the current Leaf. Rear seats still can't fold anywhere near flat. Heater controls are identical as previously.
Motor is theoretically capable of more power output than the current version, thought I was told it was an efficiency redesign rather than more power output was the intention.

Overall, if you ignore body shape and cosmetic changes, there's probably not that many more changes between this Leaf and the current version than between the original Gen 1.0 leaf and the Sunderland-built Gen 2 (or is it now 1.5) Leaf. Best bit for me would be the battery capacity.
Things that, in my opinion, are worse, having seen it in the flesh: The new retro analog speedometer, the central console (too bulky). Not keen on the pretend radiator grille.
Am I going to rush out and put a deposit down? No. I'm not in the market for a new car for another two years or so, and then I'll look at the ex-demo or second-hand models.
If I didn't already have a Leaf, and was in the market, absolutely. I'd buy one as soon as the ex-demo ones become available.

Things that Nissan have missed as worthwhile enhancements:
Proper fold-flat rear seats
Faster than 50kW charging where available.
Three-phase capable on-board charging that can still charge at >=6.6kW on singla phase like the later i3s (more of an issue for Mainland Europe).

Things I'll only find out on a proper test drive:
If the cruise control can have a pre-set speed of below 45km/h. Not that important as it's now radar adaptive cruise control, right down to a stop.
At what point the brake lights come on in e-pedal mode. If it's done sensibly, it will only be when the friction brakes are automatically applied.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Of all the cars I've had with fold-flat rear seats they all involved first lifting the bench up, I wonder if the hump in the middle of the Leaf would cause a problem and that's why it doesn't have them.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen fold-flat seats in rear-wheel drive cars with a transmission tunnel that is bigger than the battery-disconnect-hump on the Leaf, so it's not that. I think it's more like in Gen 1.0, there was a charger hump behind the rear seats, so that would mean that they could never fold flat anyway. Then they got rid of the charger hump from the boot and moved it under the bonnet, but never redesigned the rear seat frames.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Or you can pop into Motorline Nissan at Newbury. Had an email today to say their demonstrator was in. I expect most dealers will be getting their demos in around now.

However your post is a handy guide to what's what.

Test drive next week!

Re the indicator/wiper stalks - I hope that is not the same on the UK version. I'll be moving up from a Qashqai, so that would take some getting used to.

As for the analogue speedo display, I prefer to be able to take in the position of the needle with a quick glance, rather than reading a number.

The Qashqai rear seats don't fold flat either, but I've never found that to be a problem.

Did you spot the button for folding the wing mirrors? That will be an essential for me as I live down a narrow lane.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
My dealer just sent me a video of the Leaf 2 Tekna demo they have in. I can confirm that the stalks are the other way round from the Japanese version you showed - Lights/Indicators on the left and Wipers on the right, as we are used to.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, I have put my name down for one, sight unseen but subject to test drive, for delivery around when I have to return my Outlander in early May. I said I wasn't bothered about the colour - which may have been a mistake :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Bristol Street Motors Halifax have got one. Seems top spec with lots of toys.

It looks bigger, and quite a bit less ugly, than the old model - but I doubt it really is significantly bigger. Boot looks the same size and interior feels the same.

I second the comment about buttons - god knows what they were thinking - the steering wheel, particularly, is a MESS.

Still got the stupid Bose speaker hump.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was very impressed with Nissan. Filled in the website this morning to request a test drive, got a call back from dealer within 10 minutes and booked me in at a time that suited me and did a great job in telling me he's planned a mixed route including motorway to show the ProPilot and e-pedal features.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts