Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a replacement for my BMW 225XE lease. I've plumped on the Leaf, but I need help. I have a once or twice a week return journey of 120 miles, the rest of the time is spent pottering around locally. The longer journeys are 90% along the A12 and A120 in Essex, which is generally flat and 10% town and country lanes. There are frequent accident delays on the road. I really want to avoid charging on the trip. I had a Mercedes B250e and have developed a phobia of chargers, particularly the Ecotricity one by the bins at the back of the Subway takeaway on the A12. The difference in lease costs between the 40 and 62 is around £100. I obviously would rather save £2400 over the two year lease by going for the 40. My understanding is the difference in drive between the 40 and 62 is minimal. Assuming zero celsius, with say 20 minutes of traffic delays and some rain is 120 miles possible? What speed would I need to travel at with the heating set to 19 degrees? I'd like to use the autopilot and adaptive cruise control, do they reduce range? Other than range and front wheelspin is there any other difference / advantage the 62 has over the 40? I understand the 62 no longer charges at 100 kWh.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,390 Posts
With a regular long journey I'd pick the 62 over the 40. I have the 40 and frankly it would be squeaky bum some of the time. Mine shows little interest in doing much more than about 100 miles (with some contingency ) in the coldest weather at speed. The journey averages suggest 120 would be easy but once you get above about 50 mph the battery drops off rapidly.

If you can arrange to borrow a 40 I would and do that journey and see what it does when you use it how you would normally.

The 60 seems to generally do 180-200 fast cold miles.

If you had the 60 over a 3 year lease would that work out a better deal over all?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a regular long journey I'd pick the 62 over the 40. I have the 40 and frankly it would be squeaky bum some of the time. Mine shows little interest in doing much more than about 100 miles (with some contingency ) in the coldest weather at speed. The journey averages suggest 120 would be easy but once you get above about 50 mph the battery drops off rapidly.

If you can arrange to borrow a 40 I would and do that journey and see what it does when you use it how you would normally.

The 60 seems to generally do 180-200 fast cold miles.

If you had the 60 over a 3 year lease would that work out a better deal over all?
36 months doesn't appear to change the price significantly. It sounds like I have to accept the need for a 20 minute charge in cold weather or go for the 62.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A larger battery is always best and I would plump for the 62kwh model.
I had a 40 (68 reg) and I used to get about 115 miles, this time last year. The 62 will give you a much more comfortable buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Over 120 miles you might as well just drive a bit slower. It will be quicker than stopping and charging.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Must say I'm enjoying the extra range on my 62kWh, it's amazing how less stressful it is to not have to drive like a granny or go without heat just incase a charger is out of action or iced...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Another thing to consider with the LEAF 40KWh is that when it’s new the available battery capacity is 37.5KWh. Each year expect to loose 1KWh of available battery capacity, 2 years in you will only have 35.5KWh’s available, this will impact on the winter range and make your 120 mile run without charging almost impossible.

I would go for the 62KWh, all day every day.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If your budget allows you go for the 62kw.
Longer range and better performance.
I don't regret 1 moment having waited for my e+ ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
62kw don't seem to cost as much as they used to either there's a great deal here £28,600 for the e+ Tekna which puts it just under the 40kw Acenta RRP!! Nissan Leaf Hatch Elec 62kWh 217 e+ Tekna 5Dr Auto

Don't know much about this company I've never used them but I got the link from HonestJohn
I just clicked on the link and the price was £30594.80. £28600 would have been nice. I have seen them advertised below £30k but that is with the basic paint.

I had been in two minds about the 62 but went for a 40 n-Connecta.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to find a replacement for my BMW 225XE lease. I've plumped on the Leaf, but I need help. I have a once or twice a week return journey of 120 miles, the rest of the time is spent pottering around locally. The longer journeys are 90% along the A12 and A120 in Essex, which is generally flat and 10% town and country lanes. There are frequent accident delays on the road. I really want to avoid charging on the trip.
I’ve had a Leaf 40 on a two year lease that is nearly finished and done a 120 mile round trip commute most days. In spring and summer the Leaf 40 manages this fine but when it is cold/rainy/windy not so much. I have to stop and charge at a rapid for around 10 mins en route or if I can find charging during the day.

I’m just about to replace the 40 with a 62 which will I am sure do this journey comfortably irrespective of the weather. The 62 wasn’t around back in 2018 when I got the 40 but was expected and I always had in mind that I would probably upgrade.

I think the 62 is worth the extra for your use case if you don’t want to charge on the trip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 24 hour test drive of the 40 Leaf next Monday. I will take it on my 120 mile regular route. Following the very helpful advice I am learning towards dismissing the 40 and going for the 62, but it costs a lot more. After sitting in it I am also considering the Peugeot e2008. The contract hire price sits between the 40 and 62. It also has 100kWh CCS charging.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can second everyone else’s experience - our sons live 110 miles away in London and winter mileage driving reasonably economically in our 40 (my wife tops at 60, I’m a bit more leaden footed) we are arriving with 20 miles or so left on the GOM. I think as others have said you would be a bit tight for a 120 mile journey. I have read somewhere else that the Leaf is one of the best for giving extra miles when you are ‘down to zero’ but I’m sure you wouldn’t want to try it on a regular basis!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Leaf 62 prices seem to be falling steadily. If you wait a month or two... Unless they get rid of the PICG in the budget.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered a Peugeot e2008 GT today after a second test drive of the e208. Will still test the Leaf 40 on my 120 mile route on Monday. I really like the interior and exterior styling of e2008 and the extra 10 kWh over the leaf should give me the buffer I need.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ordered a Peugeot e2008 GT today after a second test drive of the e208. Will still test the Leaf 40 on my 120 mile route on Monday. I really like the interior and exterior styling of e2008 and the extra 10 kWh over the leaf should give me the buffer I need.
Are you sure you'll get the full benefit from the larger battery ? My son has just ordered an e208 which apparently shares the same sort of battery but we were told that it has a much larger unused margin then I'm used to with Nissan. Also seemed rather strange that the much bigger e2008 wouldn't have a much bigger battery !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts