Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have had my Leaf 40 for 18 months and 26000 miles and i think it is outstanding.

Realistically the range is about 140 if you don’t want to get to close to the minimum but driving wise it is fine. I am no expert about stability - I do not notice any difference to my Skoda Superb. I can say that in D mode and without e-pedal the car is very quick and the only time I wheel spin is when I really try and get away fast, but it is easily controllable

I would like greater range, but for 80% of journeys this car is perfectly fine.

I would like more space, but then I am 6 foot 5.

I do like the 4 per mile running costs, not road tax, no congestion charge!

On the last 3 holidays to Spain, Italy & Scotland we have had a Zafira people mover (probably 2 years old) and a Ford Edge SUV (less than 6 months old), Peugeot 3008 SUV (less than 6 months old) the Leaf is by far the smoothest and nicest to drive.

Even the newest diesel cars I have been in seem rough now.

I can’t comment on the Leaf 62 as i have never driven one, but the Leaf 40 is a great car for the Average motorist.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I drove a 40 recently. Not driven any other older leaf though. Road manners seemed quite good.
Steering wheel doesn't adjust for reach which is a bit annoying.

Competent is how I'd describe it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've had my Leaf 40 for a year and love it.
Me too. 13 months and 8000 miles.

Sure for the odd longer journey I'd prefer it did 200+ miles and not 140 for the three or four long trips we do each year. Likewise the app is absolute rubbish and needs replacing ( I now use My Leaf). The Rapidgate issue has never affected me as the longest journeys we have ever done have only needed 2 rapids. Other than that the car does everything we need it to.

Plus during the April - Sept period my solar panels allow me to drive for virtually free.

BUT loving the car as we do, there are two negatives though that would make me seriously think twice about getting a Nissan again. Indeed in 2 years time when I will be looking to replace the Leaf, I cannot see Nissan even being in the top 5 manufacturers that I would consider

1. The maps on the Sat Nav. The Leaf is the only 'new' car that Nissan does not update the maps for free as part of your annual service. Also the maps in my Sept 2018 car are up to date as at Qtr 2 2016. Even then my road built in 2013 is not on there! To update the maps is £119 .

2. I do object to the cost of servicing and that unlike Renault / Hyundai etc Nissan do not offer affordable 3 or 4 year service plans. £149 to check tyres, brakes and top up the washer fluid is a total rip off. The Leaf should only need a service every 2 years - or even 3!

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me too. 13 months and 8000 miles.

Sure for the odd longer journey I'd prefer it did 200+ miles and not 140 for the three or four long trips we do each year. Likewise the app is absolute rubbish and needs replacing ( I now use My Leaf). The Rapidgate issue has never affected me as the longest journeys we have ever done have only needed 2 rapids. Other than that the car does everything we need it to.

Plus during the April - Sept period my solar panels allow me to drive for virtually free.

BUT loving the car as we do, there are two negatives though that would make me seriously think twice about getting a Nissan again. Indeed in 2 years time when I will be looking to replace the Leaf, I cannot see Nissan even being in the top 5 manufacturers that I would consider

1. The maps on the Sat Nav. The Leaf is the only 'new' car that Nissan does not update the maps for free as part of your annual service. Also the maps in my Sept 2018 car are up to date as at Qtr 2 2016. Even then my road built in 2013 is not on there! To update the maps is £119 .

2. I do object to the cost of servicing and that unlike Renault / Hyundai etc Nissan do not offer affordable 3 or 4 year service plans. £149 to check tyres, brakes and top up the washer fluid is a total rip off. The Leaf should only need a service every 2 years - or even 3!
Do you 'always' drive in ECO & E-Pedal?
I wondered how you found the car when driving without ECO or E-Pedal?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have had my 40 KWH LEAF now for 18 months and covered 20K miles. I never use the "ECO" mode, a waste of time unless you are trying to get to a charger and eking out every mile. I only use the "E Pedal" in traffic queues and congestion, where its an absolute boon.

I use "D" for fast straight roads or motorways when I am not using auto pilot, more usually I use "B" mode as this closely simulates engine braking and saves braking to slow down on corners, also help to control the speed in 30 / 40 mph zones.

Using this style proves to be quite economical, over the last 10K miles I have averaged 4.2 miles per KW actual, so not too dusty (25% of those miles were motorway driving)

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had my 40 KWH LEAF now for 18 months and covered 20K miles. I never use the "ECO" mode, a waste of time unless you are trying to get to a charger and eking out every mile. I only use the "E Pedal" in traffic queues and congestion, where its an absolute boon.

I use "D" for fast straight roads or motorways when I am not using auto pilot, more usually I use "B" mode as this closely simulates engine braking and saves braking to slow down on corners, also help to control the speed in 30 / 40 mph zones.

Using this style proves to be quite economical, over the last 10K miles I have averaged 4.2 miles per KW actual, so not too dusty (25% of those miles were motorway driving)
Have you found the car to be stable, without wheel spin, when you employ fast acceleration Dave?
What would you say the true range is, with your driving style?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only time I have experienced wheel spin is when the road is wet and stock Dunlop enasave tyres scrabble for grip if you overplay the gas pedal, such as when you have to get out of a junction quickly, other times it’s well controlled and power is put down without drama.

In the summer, constant 70mph I have achieved a range of 135 miles but in reality that would include stretches of 50mph for road works. Anything non motorway is easily 160 miles range if you want to run the battery down to below 10%.

In the winter, motorways the range very quick drains away and you are looking at a range of max 110 miles. Non motorway it’s a range of 135 miles and worse if it’s raining, last winter had a big effect on the range and found I had to charge a lot more often.

The car being a long wheel base handles the road well, the ride is not soft or hard but comfortable, which means it can wallow a bit if you corner too fast, but b modes slows you down quit quickly. The result is that driving at 50 mph on winding country roads is quite entertaining and enjoyable, you can certainly get a move on.

It good and stable on the motorway although you certainly can feel it if there’s a strong cross wind, I find steering at speed is very light with very little feel, this is not helped by the low rolling stock tyres, so you have too be alert as it can easily wander.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will have had my Leaf 40 a year in January and currently have 4,500 miles on the clock. I totally agree with @QPRfan previous post. The outdated map and not getting free updates is shameful.

My other niggle is that Nissan forgot to include a left foot rest for my redundant left foot (being an automatic you think they would have fitted one). I had to find a way to fit my own otherwise the carpet will get very thread bare in time.

While I am on a moan. No light inside the glovebox, no light in the front phone cubbyhole.

I drive everywhere in 'ECO' mode as I find it makes for a smoother ride and often slip it into 'B' mode as it helps maintain my speed going down hills (I live in a hilly area). My son tells me I'd make a good Hurst driver (it's an age thing).

The ride can get a bit jittery over the pothole roads in my area. But on a good surface, the Leaf's poster and handling is reasonable. The Leaf can jump occasionally on corners. I understand this is due to not having independent suspension on the rear. Body roll is minimal. Tyres show no signs of wear yet and from reports I've heard (from Have a BEV mate - taxi driver) will last a very long time.

Auto headlights seems to have a common problem on bright mornings and evenings where they turn on and don't turn off. You find the only way to clear it is to pull over, switch off and restart.

The front seats are just comfortable but not that generous in size. The left leg can hurt a bit after a while being squeezed against the centre console housing. They could have designed that better.

The lack of adjustable steering reach doesn't bother me too much, but I understand taller people find it harder to get the right driving position.

The lump between the rear passenger seats is large. They really could have designed a flat floor in that area making it better for 3 passengers to sit in comfort.

One personal thought with all EVs' (not just the Leaf) is they build them with all steel construction. They could save a lot of weight by fitting an aluminium bonnet and boot like the Prius which would also increase range.

Apart from those minor niggles, it's not a bad car. But Nissan are going to need to up their game with all the competition they will have next year. It seems most manufacturers will have a EV in 2020.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A good write up @thecaretaker. I remember you getting your leaf at the beginning of the year, as I had collected mine just before Christmas.
I only kept mine for 4 months in the end, as a change of job meant a lot of motorway driving so traded up to a Tesla model S.

However, I concur with a lot of what you have said and it certainly wouldn’t put me off buying another one, but perhaps only as a 2nd car. The best things on my one, were the auto pilot and e-pedal (tekna model).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Range: I'm super-careful and happy to tuck in behind lorries. Last week we did a return trip up to my Mum's house in Chesterfield from Bedford - 115 miles, mainly motorway, and arrived with 25% battery spare showing 4.5 miles/kWh. I work that out as a real 153 range. Plugged in late afternoon using the 13A EVSE and woke up to it fully charged.

I'm happy with eco on all the time - Eco on the 40 is much better, more realistic power, than the 24 and 30, and the ICC is ideal for tailgating lorries (on 2 bars following distance, not 1 !!!).

·
Registered
675 Posts
I drive everywhere in 'ECO' mode as I find it makes for a smoother ride and often slip it into 'B' mode as it helps maintain my speed going down hills (I live in a hilly area). My son tells me I'd make a good Hurst driver (it's an age thing).
Not so sure that's doing what you probably think !

In eco mode the performance is 'downgraded' by changing the throttle map. You can get exactly the same effect by not pressing quite so hard on the pedal. It also reduces the heater output - but you can always switch the heater system off. It also increases the amount of regenerative braking that is used - whilst that might be useful for controlling speed when going downhill, it's counter-productive on the flat or when going up hill as the amount of energy gained by regeneration is far less than would be needed to regain speed; better by far to let gravity & wind resistance do the slowing (they do anyway) and keep the inertia for carrying on at same speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Agree with the caretaker - exactly the same niggles but agree they are minor. That’s how I drive too, and I think the different opinions just show that it allows you to set it up the way that suits you. I do also miss the HUD speedo that my Prius plug in had.

Agree that not updating the maps and cost of servicing is annoying, but you can use airplay or whatever to connect your phone and I’m looking into non-dealer servicing that will, I hope, be cheaper. I actually find the satnav generally reliable and like the way it displays.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just changed my Leaf 40, for another Leaf 40, dealer made me a great offer! As this is a late 2019 model it has the updated SatNav with TomTom which has over the air updates, Premium Traffic information and WiFi. The system also allows OTA system updates too. Nissan Connect App is still flakey!

ivdid 25000 miles in previous 40 over 18 months, with a weekly 210 mile out and back again, motorway driving, driving normally it was easily making the first 123 miles to a rapid charger, not into tailgating wagons or doing 50 on the M1 way to stressful, the car is comfortable on that journey, ProPilot doing most of the work.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Must admit, in the short time I had my leaf 40 (Dec 18 to Apr 19), I also commuted every day on the motorway 70 miles and the car was just great tbh with no faults. I would have another one, just the app was rubbish, but we all know that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just changed my Leaf 40, for another Leaf 40, dealer made me a great offer! As this is a late 2019 model it has the updated SatNav with TomTom which has over the air updates, Premium Traffic information and WiFi. The system also allows OTA system updates too. Nissan Connect App is still flakey!
Interesting - I've just had a call from my dealer offering me a 2019 model in exchange for my 2018, and offering reducing my PCP payments. Although wary of being potentially 'locked in' for an additional year... wondering what the potential downside could be of swapping - what other factors did you consider?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts