Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ive got the opportunity to get a new Leaf 40nconnecta via my work leaf scheme at but I could get the Peugeot 2008ev for £30 more per month. looks wise I prefer the Leaf as the 2008is a bit flashy for me. However I am aware that the 2008 has a 50kwh battery and 100kw charging. What do people think - is the 2008ev worth modest extra monthly cost or is it likely to be fairly similar to the leaf in terms of tech/safety/range?

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,687 Posts
Have you checked for any online reviews of the e2008? I don't think I have seen any...

·
Registered
159 Posts
For £30 a month I would go for it, and thats as a Leaf 40 N-Connecta owner :)

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
619 Posts
I have LEAF 40KWh, it is roomy, reliable and comfortable, for me that is, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth. My advice to you is, check you have a comfortable driving position, there is only up and down adjustment of the steering column in the leaf. Try both to make sure you can get comfortable, also check out the ride quality, I think the Peugeot has been criticised for having a crashing ride quality at slower speeds, where as the LEAF having a longer wheel base delivers okay in this department.

What range are you planning do? The LEAF is good for 100 miles range worst scenario, if you want to do more than this on a daily basis without recharging, then the Peugeot need serious consideration.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
How can you compare the two? One is a car, the other a "crossover" which means that the ride and handling are hugely compromised in the name of fashion - you either want one or you don't. The Peugeot is a bigger, much more modern design with a bigger battery and significantly faster rapid charging - but do you need either? You need to test drive them both before making a decision - I test drove an e-208 (a very different car) and was hugely disappointed.

Autocar test drive

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
281 Posts
Hi, ive got the opportunity to get a new Leaf 40nconnecta via my work leaf scheme at but I could get the Peugeot 2008ev for £30 more per month. looks wise I prefer the Leaf as the 2008is a bit flashy for me. However I am aware that the 2008 has a 50kwh battery and 100kw charging. What do people think - is the 2008ev worth modest extra monthly cost or is it likely to be fairly similar to the leaf in terms of tech/safety/range?

Thanks
They are very similar in size, but the Peugeot has more room if you need to transport things. Personally I'd get the Peugeot because of the Nissan's lack of telescopic steering wheel, so it can not be moved in and out, only up and down. My wife has a 40kWh Tekna since over a year, she is OK with it but I don't like driving it because of that. I feel it is very uncomfortable for me, so I try to drive it as little as possible. Also, it's a bit of apples and oranges, the Nissan is older than the Peugeot you compare with, which also speaks for the Peugeot. What speaks against is that the Nissan is reliable, they have experience in EV and is NOT made in France, if the Peugeot is made in France... Personally, after having had several French cars in the past, I'd avoid those. The Nissan is Made in UK, which was one reason why we chose that back in December 2008. Regardless of which consider a wall box as well. I'd not buy any EV without that.

Anyway, good luck. Not easy to buy the first EV.

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
if the Peugeot is made in France...
The e208 is made in Trnava Slovakia. The e2008 is made in Vigo, Spain.

Groupe PSA Slovakia - In Slovak only. I used google translate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies, they are helpful. One major issue at the moment is that the e2008 isn't available to test drive but the lease price is exceptionally good at the moment.

I agree that these cars are not really comparable due to different shapes etc and from that perspective alone I do prefer the leaf. Yet I do wonder if the extra 10kwh battery capacity on the peugeot is likely to make much noticable difference in real world use. I live in a rural area in Scotland that can get very cold in the winter. I also may use it from time to time to drive down to England so rapid charging would be nice. The rapidgate issues with the leaf do worry me a bit but am I right in thinking that this is sorted on new models? Also I read that there are not many 100kw chargers around in the uk so maybe I wont be able to make full use of the rapid charge features? This is my first EV so I am also a bit in the dark about how rapid charging works/ assosciated costs etc.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
What made you hugely disappointed on the E208?
Apologies for being off topic, but you did ask. The ride crashed over bumps and potholes, the handling was vague (even in comparison to a LEAF :rolleyes: let alone the 205's from my youth), I didn't like the controls (the piano keys are gimmicky and inconsistent) and all I can say about the steering wheel was it reminds me of the Austin Allegro and seemed fitted for the same reason. I came away very disappointed and unlikely to consider one again for a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apologies for being off topic, but you did ask. The ride crashed over bumps and potholes, the handling was vague (even in comparison to a LEAF :rolleyes: let alone the 205's from my youth), I didn't like the controls (the piano keys are gimmicky and inconsistent) and all I can say about the steering wheel was it reminds me of the Austin Allegro and seemed fitted for the same reason. I came away very disappointed and unlikely to consider one again for a long time.
I have been inside the petrol version of the new 2008 and found the piano keys (and black gloss) a bit odd too

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,112 Posts
Also I read that there are not many 100kw chargers around in the uk so maybe I wont be able to make full use of the rapid charge features?
Am I right in thinking that on a 50kW charger, the 2008 would pull the full 50kW for much longer before ramping down. The Leaf on the other hand would never draw the maximum 50kW and would ramp down much quicker?

So even with 50kW chargers the Pug would be better. And no doubt a lot more 100kW chargers will be installed in the years to come. Current providers of >100kW charging:

Ionity 69p/kWh
Instavolt 35p/kWh
E.ON Drive 43p/kW
Shell Recharge 39p/kWh
Fastned 39p/kWh
Alpha Power 25-33p/kWh
BP Polar 20-40p/kWh

According to Zap-Map there are currently 22 locations where you can charge at 100kW or more.

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Yet I do wonder if the extra 10kwh battery capacity on the peugeot is likely to make much noticable difference in real world use. ... I also may use it from time to time to drive down to England so rapid charging would be nice.

THe e2008 has active battery cooling while LEAF is passive. It also has a larger battery, which implies a larger "C". If both batteries can charge at 2 * C, the e2008 can take more current since C is larger.

That makes a difference on long trips with multiple stops for rapid charging. We know that LEAF throttles. LEAF is 50kW nominal max and the Peugeot is 100kW nominal max.

Am I right in thinking that on a 50kW charger, the 2008 would pull the full 50kW for much longer before ramping down. The Leaf on the other hand would never draw the maximum 50kW and would ramp down much quicker?
LEAF never gets to 50kW, even without throttling. The e2008 probalby won't get to 50kW from a 50kW charger either. It depends on pack voltage and the rapid's true maximum current.

I expect LEAF will ramp down earlier than the Peugeot.

We won't know how the e208 / e2008 behave until people have them and post charging graphs.

·
3,112 Posts
This information is from the EV Database

For the 2008

A16FC787-7FA5-45A2-8F98-1013533F0FF0.png

For the Leaf

EA6654F4-F573-4222-9680-953826D2AB96.png

·
3,112 Posts
Found this on a French forum.

ACD3E0A1-CBC6-420E-A884-1B24CDA3EF03.png

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
3,112 Posts
Saw this for the e208 on another thread.

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
Saw this for the e208 on another thread.
14kWh in the first 10 minutes. 25kWh in under 20 minutes. Wow. For long trips, the Peugeot is an easy winner. There are going to be more 100+ kW chargers coming.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yet I do wonder if the extra 10kwh battery capacity on the peugeot is likely to make much noticable difference in real world use.
Bear in mind that if the e2008 is boxier than the Leaf it may lose that 10kWh just through aerodynamics at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why not check the new Ioniq 2020? People are having them delivered already.
A bit slow on the rapid charger but 30-40 minutes charge should give you 100+ miles so not so bad I guess.

·
Registered
211 Posts
During the last couple of weeks I've driven the e208 and the Leaf 62 e+. I've also sat in the new 2008. The Leaf is more spacious and easier to get in and out of compared to the 2008. The interior of the 2008 is more appealing, with better digital displays, which appeared responsive. The ride on the e208 was a bit rigid, but not unacceptable, performance was acceptable. Charging speeds should be better on the 2008. I would definitely pick the 2008 over the Leaf 40. The 2008 and Leaf 62 e+ is a much closer call. The Leaf 62 e+ Tekna is very well equipped and you need to go GT Line or above to get a comparable 2008. My current thinking is the Leaf 62+ will be offered with greater discounts than the new 2008 so I'll go for the Nissan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts