Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Leaf 40 had been left standing in my driveway this week and when I moved it a few feet I noticed water dripping from the front underside,near to the front wheels. Had a peek under the front of the car and I could see water dripping from the underside near the inner wheel wells. Had a look at the inside of the car and the inner bulkhead was dry so no ingress of any water into the cabin. Lifted the bonnet and the drivers side top strut mount had some water, the other side top strut mount area looked clean and dry. I assume water is draining from the inner strut top mounts area down to the ground and that it is a design fault.

Attachments

·
Registered
Leaf e+
240 Posts
They are prone to not having the windscreen on that side sealed properly and often end up getting water into the electronics! Get it to a dealer and have then check it before you wind up with electrical issues!

If you need the control module which gets flooded on that side, be prepared for a wait! Been 2 months so far waiting for a body control module… (although mine was not water related)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. A look under the gen 1 Leaf forum and I have seen that it is a design fault with water collecting onto the top strut mounts.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
645 Posts
Have you greased the top of your strut mounts and fitted protective covers?

stops the water from damaging the top mounts on your suspension.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,754 Posts
This has been a long standing issue with all models of Leaf. The problem is that there is a drain hole deep in the area where the driver side windscreen wiper spindle is located. The exit from that drain has been expertly designed to land precisely into the top of the suspension strut. This is why every Leaf has that strut area permanently full of water. And storing up an eventual fail from the rust developing there.

The solution is to fit a cover as indicated above. But better still is to cover the entire outer perimeter because water from an inner cover will still accumulate inside the area and can still cause problems eventually. I initially used an empty upturned small tuna tin - then an empty yoghurt pot that was a push fit over the outer circle. Cutting 2" from the base of a 2 litre plastic lemonade bottle also works well to cover the entire area and saves quite a few quid at the same time. I also cut a wedge shaped piece of poly foam to fix the cover in place using the mesh plastic cover clicked in place to keep everything firmly in place.

Next job, when the strut issues have been solved, is to clean out the drain hole itself. It will inevitably be partially blocked, usually by a winged sycamore seed. If the drain is totally blocked water can overflow and find its way under the bonnet to cause mayhem in any electrical module it finds. The hole is hard to find but poking around with a pokey thing will locate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts