Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping a record of actual journeys and battery percentage drops to get a better idea of actual range as opposed to the GOM or the energy economy figure the car spits out.
Mine is a 2018 40kW Leaf and most of the milage is commuting to and from work (50-60km round trip) Mixed country road - motorway - traffic!
For January the total recorded milage was 1076 km using 509% giving a theoretical average 0-100% range of 211km (132 miles)
Some of the percentage would have been used preheating the cars in the morning.
Over the same period the car tells me my average consumption is 0.148 kWh/km (or 4.22 miles/kWh)
The percentage drop/distance is the only reliable means of calculating available range.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'd concur with that. I've been travelling to the Peak District from Bedford - 110 miles, mainly motorway, and I tend to arrive with +/- 20% left.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Remember that the useable part of the battery is more like 35kWh. Some of that 35kWh is hidden at the bottom of the range (i.e. below 0%) so assume that '100%' of the battery is more like 32kWh and then you get somewhere close to the 4+ miles/kWh. I still think the car's measure of consumption is a little generous, but the large part of the discrepancy is the disparity between the total battery size and the bit you can actually make use of.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not sure if there's an official figure, but a quick google shows 36kWh useable (according to ev-database). I'd imagine a typical 2018 leaf would have a SOH of around 90-92% so probably around 33kWh left. I've also seen that at 0% there is actually 8-10% left. So 100% to 0% could easily be around 31kWh which would be about right for the above economy over distance.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
610 Posts
When my 40KWh LEAF was new, LeafSpy indicated an available battery capacity of 37.5KWh's at 100% SOC - now after 2 years and 24K miles LeafSpy indicates 35.8KWh's at 100% SOC.

If you do a continuous 70mph on the motorway, in the winter; when its freezing cold with wind and rain you can expect a return of 3 miles / KW - that's (37.5 x 3 = 112 miles range) which is about what it is.

That will go up to 3.6 miles / KW in the summer - driving at 40 / 50 mph produces so much more economy and efficiency.

The EV database is sometimes a bit flaky, I wouldn't put to much faith in their data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts