Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While away and using rapid chargers outside of my usual runs and haunts, I noticed some unusual behaviour. Chargers finishing at odd times or percentages, things I'd never seen before.

Most of the time I was too busy and generally disinterested to take proper notice, however on one occasion I did make note of when the charge completed. 91% (according to both car and DBT charger) and 47 minutes.

Both those figures seem a little random do they not?!

Anyone know what's going on with this? It is possible it stopped at 40 or 45 and I didn't notice, but I was sat in the car with little else to do than watch the charge meter and flashing lights, so that's unlikely.

2014-08-08 20.05.41.jpg

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I see this every time when the gen 2 LEAF is left alone to do its thing. No matter the SOC is >60% or <40% when starting off it always seems to finish in the early 90s.

It's not consistent but I'm guessing its something to do with the battery characteristics - temp, voltage, response.

Short answer, no idea but it's not just you, or that specific charger.

You imply you don't normally see this, maybe that's the anomaly. What would you expect to see in MK and environs?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see this every time when the gen 2 LEAF is left alone to do its thing. No matter the SOC is >60% or <40% when starting off it always seems to finish in the early 90s.

It's not consistent but I'm guessing its something to do with the battery characteristics - temp, voltage, response.

Short answer, no idea but it's not just you, or that specific charger.

You imply you don't normally see this, maybe that's the anomaly. What would you expect to see in MK and environs?
That's interesting. Usually I unplug before this, but when it's been left to do its thing in the past it's gone all the way to 100%.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Mine normally stops at about 91% on the charger but that is about 80% on the car as the chargers overread by about 10% or so... so that seems about right to me.

The 47 mins is a bit strange though because I have never had a charge to 80% take longer than 30 mins.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As mentioned above it's 91% car and charger, they always match (most out by 1%) and always have done, which seems to be one of the differences noted here between the Japanese and Sunderland built LEAFs.

It did start this charge session quite low, 13% on car and charger.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't dispute what you say Paul. I am simply saying that it doesn't tie up with my experiences even when considering UK built cars. I have seen UK cars with the discrepancy... last time at the SoCEV meeting when some of us we discussed it. So I have no idea what is going on with your car. It seems a bit strange to me, that is all :)

Do you know how it look on LeafSpy or LeafDD? Does that match up with the charger and your car?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I don't dispute what you say Paul. I am simply saying that it doesn't tie up with my experiences even when considering UK built cars. I have seen UK cars with the discrepancy... last time at the SoCEV meeting when some of us we discussed it. So I have no idea what is going on with your car. It seems a bit strange to me, that is all :)

Do you know how it look on LeafSpy or LeafDD? Does that match up with the charger and your car?
Do you still believe gen 1 & gen 2 cars behave the same?

Did you see my video of a gen 2 charging at Bridgewater? Different experience to you, no?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is it on here? Can you post it here?
Yes, here:
https://speakev.com/posts/32662/

Ok, now maybe we can be believed! An opportunity presented itself today and I had time to stick around for a charge to top out, so I grabbed this video from my mobile to illustrate the Gen 2 LEAF behaviour.
No camera trickery, just a Gen 2 LEAF (registered June 2014), an Ecotricity rapid charger and a mobile. 8 minutes of nail biting action. Enjoy... ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Joining these threads together, I've been doing a lot of Rapid Charging lately, at six different RC's with LeafSpy on hand.

The behaviour on my Gen1 now seems to be 100% repeatable. Whatever low-ish SOC you start with the LS and the RC pretty much agree on the SOC%. However, as the battery fills they diverge. The RC charger always stops showing 90%, and this shows as 76%-79% on LeafSpy.

Watching LS a lot shows that the dash seems to have a "User / Consumer View" of the battery state (I'm 100% sure that's what the percentage Gen2 drivers are seeing on the dash too), where a good 15-20% of battery charge is hidden from the user, presumably to protect the battery life.

@Paul do you have LeafSpy or LeafDD to compare that to the dash %? Do you want to borrow my Bluetooth ODB box?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Watching LS a lot shows that the dash seems to have a "User / Consumer View" of the battery state (I'm 100% sure that's what the percentage Gen2 drivers are seeing on the dash too), where a good 15-20% of battery charge is hidden from the user, presumably to protect the battery life.
@leave How many battery bars do you show at full charge? I get 11 which tallies with the 92/93ish percent I'm left with at the end of a charge, and how long does your charge take? IIRC on a full charge from low 20s you reported ending up with fewer bars of battery in a quicker time. One can only assume that means less energy in, and hence your 80% charge vs. Low nineties for us.

·
Registered
585 Posts
@PaulMorris I usually end up with 9 bars, occasionally 10. I must admit I wasn't paying enough notice to jot down the charge times, but roughly between 20min and 40mins depending on the starting SOC. Definitely less charge taken onboard while RC'ing, which is annoying, but I guess it's better for the battery...

@Paul PM me if you want to borrow the Bluetooth gizmo. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts