Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about accessory power in the Leaf before mine arrives. Any advice would be most welcome :)

It seems that the Leaf has one USB port and one accessory power socket (cigar lighter). The USB port allows you to connect your phone to the head unit, but also to charge it. First question, does the USB port supply 1A for faster charging or just the bog standard 500mA?

Second question, the Leaf manual says to avoid using the accessory power when the car is turned off to save the 12V battery. I know some cars have accessory power turned on all the time, is this the case with the Leaf? It's a pain because some devices don't automatically shut down unless the 12V supply goes away, so if you forget to unplug them your battery dies.

At the moment I have a splitter because my Mitsubishi doesn't have a USB socket at all, and I need to run an ion generator, a dashcam and charge my phone at the same time. Since the leaf only has one USB socket and one accessory socket I have a feeling I will still need a splitter...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi, the cigar lighter powers down when the car powers down so there shouldn't be a problem with leaving things plugged in. Not sure what the power rating for the USB is?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wouldn't agree with that at all. 5V power will always be present on a USB port. A plugged in device would not recognise it as such without it. And it is definitely there on the Leaf as I've used it to charge my phone.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, if there was no 5V power your phone's battery would die pretty quickly streaming Spotify over Bluetooth, for example.

Rod: Thanks, I wonder what the manual is talking about then...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have a leaf g1. USB us only basic 500mA. I use an adapter in 12V socket to get 2A. Power to both goes off when car stopped

·
Registered
Leaf 40
868 Posts
I have a Gen2 and the USB port has been fine charging my 6+ which suggests it has to be at least 1A as less than that would struggle when GPS is running.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information. When I get mine I have a USB power analyzer so I'll check how much current the USB port can supply. It looks like I'll probably need a splitter in any case - shame no cars come with more than one of each type of port as standard.

These days multiple devices are fairly essential. Phone charging, especially if you use a navigation or speed camera warning app (I use the PocketGPSWorld one). The dashcam is important for insurance purposes, and recently proved that I wasn't speeding when a mobile camera claimed I was. I'm going to add a GPS logger for extra protection against mis-calibrated speed cameras too, after that experience. Finally an ion generator to keep the car fresh.

·
Registered
Leaf 40
868 Posts
especially if you use a navigation or speed camera warning app (I use the PocketGPSWorld one).
Delighted to hear it :)
The dashcam is important for insurance purposes, and recently proved that I wasn't speeding when a mobile camera claimed I was.
Now that sounds like something I'd like to cover for PGPS!

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed, it was very lucky that I had the camera because their equipment claimed I was doing 7 MPH more than I actually was. A GPS logging function for the PGW app would be handy, and for some people maybe a video recording feature. My plan is to just make something that I can keep in the car all the time, tucked away and logging GPS data constantly. Anything phone based I will tend to forget at some point, and sods law says that will be the day the speed camera operator was incompetent.

There is still a little more to do on my case, but once it's finally resolved I'll PM you with the full story (and photos).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts