Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did (another) 250 mile round trip in the Leaf (thanks again to Ecotricity) I rapid charged twice to about 70% and put in a 3 hour 10amp (3 pin EVSE) charge at my destination and put in a 92% rapid at Leicester Forest East to get me back home again (70 miles). The outside temp was quite warm (by UK standards) at about 20 celcius and to be fair I wasn't hanging about on the way back but the last 20 miles or so I saw the battery temperature rise on the dashboard to just one bar under the red. It stayed there for the rest of the journey. Mindful of how temperature affects degradation; Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this? Do I need to make a trip to the dealer? It always seems to stay mid way up the gauge the rest of the time. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Use of rapids tends to warm up the battery - using a rapid more than once in a day definitely makes a difference.
I've seen mine up at that temperature a few times on longer journeys.

Does it make a difference long term? Possibly. But I didn't buy the car with the intention of babying it and worrying about every little thing! In 3 years the battery might have lost enough to noticably affect its range, but I'll be changing it before then.

Definitely doesn't require a trip to the dealer, though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great, thanks for the 'Rapid' answer ;-) Same here ref babying the battery, the way I figure, on many journeys I have to 'stretch' the range to make it worthwhile and keeping it between 20 - 80% isn't really practical. Mine is on a 2 year PCP deal, with a ridiculous purchase price option at the end so it wouldn't make any sense for me to keep it beyond the 2 year option. Saying that I have become quite attached to the car in my short period of ownership!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
In contrast I have rapid charged three times on a long(ish) journey during summer and the temperature didn't seem to rise above 3/4 (if that). Certainly not to a point where I thought "oh, hang a minute..."

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I have done many long trips in the Leaf and my experience is mixed.

On Ecotricity rapids the temperature does rise significantly on each charge to the point where after 5 or 6 charges it is pushing up towards the red.

On the other hand, when I charged in Newcastle using the CYC chargers the temperature didn't rise much at all.

I have no idea why there should be a difference.

One thing is certain though... high temperature will not do the battery any good so try to avoid it getting up to towards the red if you can... obviously we all have to use the rapids several times to go any distance but it is just something to consider.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll monitor it over the coming months, only having done 2 long trips so far I don't have much of a reference point but on my daily commute it never changes from half way up the gauge so I'll know if anything changes. Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Interesting, back in August I did several rapids on determined drive (i.e. charge and go) and I had, from memory :

Departure : 5 bars
1st Rapid (which was a "double dip" to get to 88%): 5 bars
2nd Rapid : 5 bars
3rd "Fast" charger : 5 bars
4th Rapid : 7 bars (briefly)
5th "Fast" charger : 6 bars
6th Rapid : 6 bars
7th Rapid : 7 bars (briefly)

Basically, it only just got up into the 7th bar and came back down again fairly soon after stopping charging.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
On my London to Edinburgh trip I charged 9 times and the temp got up to the red (but not into it).

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
300 miles London to Edinburgh, give or take? Mine was Glasgow to home - 315. Guess you were driving pretty quick to need 9 stops?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Just read the blog - quite an impressive trip. I don't get that sort of range out of mine - the other day I was on Low Battery Warning at 55 miles!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts