Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bugbear of mine (increasingly) and I wondered if I'm alone.

I find the LEAF has a distinct lack of clarity and believe it could be improved. This is particularly in relation to charging.

When I plug in to charge it beeps at me. The beep (so far as I can tell) is exactly the same regardless of wether I have delayed (timer) charging active or not. Yes I can look at the dash lights to see what's afoot, but surely a different tone or number of beeps would be much more convenient in daily use.

Secondly, flick the charger lid from inside, press the button to disable timer/delayed charging... Nothing, nada. A blue light on the dash top is illuminated (WAY out of eye line at the time) but there's no beep.

And yet for so many other situations the LEAF is capable of making crazy noisy repetitive beeps at me for all kinds of things.

So in short I think the LEAF should... Beep differently for instant and delayed/timer charging when plugged in, and beep to confirm that you've disabled timer charging from the on-dash button.

Super Moderator
I've been keeping an eye on mine, and I think it -does- do soemething different, but it may be charging station dependant. Plugging in with no timers set the car goes Beep.BeepBeep. If a timer is set it goes Beep. Clickityclunkity... BeepBeep.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't tell to be honest, it seems the same. At home I plug in and have it on a timer, but sometimes I don't. If there is a difference it's not very clear what it is.

Yes RTFM I know, but seriously?

And the delayed charging deactivated indicator should beep, or something.

Super Moderator
And the delayed charging deactivated indicator should beep, or something.
Yes, that I definitely agree with, especially as it's a soft push button, and if you think "oh I didn't quite press that" and press again it flips back to timer mode (I think!)

Super Moderator
So it's...

"Beep... Beep Beep" when it's on a timer.

And

"Beep... Beep Beep... Beep Beep" when not, so far as I can figure.

Anyone confirm this?
Hmm that's different to mine, it sounds as though your charge station is starting, stopping, starting. Or maybe gen1 and 2 are different?

Registered
If it went "Bingely bingely beep" I'd be on board...

Registered
I didn't realise you could change some of the "noises" the Leaf makes until I got in one of our cars and when it started up it sounded like a cross between Candy Crush Saga and Disneyland! A bored driver and been playing with the settings and decided a change was needed o_O

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't realise you could change some of the "noises" the Leaf makes until I got in one of our cars and when it started up it sounded like a cross between Candy Crush Saga and Disneyland! A bored driver and been playing with the settings and decided a change was needed o_O
Trouble is they're all pretty awful and very much like 80s or 90s video games or something.

With they had something a bit softer and more subtle as an optional "soundscape".

Registered
Please tell me how to do this? I haven't found an option for it yet but might be fun!

Registered
The lady with the posh voice who warns you're approaching speed cameras should politely tell you what's what - she'd be a cut above all the beepity clunkity stuff!
I shut that lady up as soon as I found out how tto do that... She was seriously disturbing my enjoyment of Beethoven's 9th, warning me about speed cams. And what's the use anyway? We're driving at granny speeds to optimise range!

But for other things, I would prefer her soothing voice instead of the beeps...

Registered
Please tell me how to do this? I haven't found an option for it yet but might be fun!
Somewhere on the right of the steering wheel where the 4 square buttons are, so I am told by a driver. He also said "I wonder if you could download new ones like you can for TomTom!"

It's a car! not a satnav, mobile etc......:rolleyes:;)

Registered
Yes, if you scroll through the menu (press the document icon button) the last one is settings and in there you can cursor down to sounds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts