Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anybody noticed the lack of volume from the rear door speakers and sub? If I set the fader to the front and set the volume to a comfortable level then fade to the rear the rear speakers are barely audible, it's like the amp is not working properly on those channels. Anybody else noticed this or have I got a faulty amp?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Thread resurrection.
Did you get the Bose amplifier replaced?
Mine is acting up when cold, the speakers cut out all over the place.
Fine when warm.

·
Super Moderator
11,543 Posts
Sounds like warranty time to me. Amplifier maybe? I'd also check the 12V battery. Could be low voltage. All sorts of things go wonky when the 12V battery is low.

The sub is highly tuned. Not everything will have notes in the sub woofer's range. Even then it isn't door rattling.

The one in our car does what it supposed to. It adds a couple of notes below the door speakers.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Sounds like warranty time to me. Amplifier maybe? I'd also check the 12V battery. Could be low voltage. All sorts of things go wonky when the 12V battery is low.
Yeah, trouble is by the time they get it to the dealership the car is warm and they can't replicate it and it's a pain leaving it with them overnight in the hope it's cold enough the following morning.
I've also tried videoing the fault on my phone, but it just doesn't show the awful 'going deaf in one ear' effect I'm getting.
I'm getting no other faults to suggest the 12V battery is low.

·
Registered
708 Posts
On the Leaf Tekna 4 day test drive I was hoping for great things from the Bose but in reality, when compared to the wife's Golf the sound quality/bass etc. was naff. But overall quite a basic car compared to the Golf. Still want one though... :)

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
On the Leaf Tekna 4 day test drive I was hoping for great things from the Bose but in reality, when compared to the wife's Golf the sound quality/bass etc. was naff. But overall quite a basic car compared to the Golf. Still want one though... :)
I've never driven an e-Golf, electric versions of normal cars don't interest me.
But the Leaf Tekna is basic compared to the Golf...really?
The Tekna Leaf has leather, heated seats (front and back), Bose stereo, keyless entry, LED headlights and a heated steering wheel.
Does an e-Golf have all that?

BTW, good news, the driver taking my car back noticed the fault and they've ordered me a new speaker under warranty.
Hopefully that's the problem, rather than the amp.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
In my experience the sound from the Bose system in the Leaf is good but not worth spending extra money on. I was really disappointed in the lack of "wow factor" with both my Leafs.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
In my experience the sound from the Bose system in the Leaf is good but not worth spending extra money on. I was really disappointed in the lack of "wow factor" with both my Leafs.
You don't pay extra for Bose, it comes as standard on the Tekna.
And it's far from the only thing you get extra on the Tekna, for the extra money.
I don't know what trim level you had, but newbie passengers are always impressed with the quality of the interior and the equipment levels in my Tekna.
My MD, who owns a new BMW M3, mentioned heated steering wheels the other day.
When I said "ooh I've got one of those" his face dropped. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm afraid that anything with the words sub-woofer attached is under suspicion from the start with me. A little like the headphones with Xtra-Bass - best avoided.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You don't pay extra for Bose, it comes as standard on the Tekna.
And it's far from the only thing you get extra on the Tekna, for the extra money.
I don't know what trim level you had, but newbie passengers are always impressed with the quality of the interior and the equipment levels in my Tekna.
My MD, who owns a new BMW M3, mentioned heated steering wheels the other day.
When I said "ooh I've got one of those" his face dropped. :LOL:
I had Tekna for both and I know it is included in the Tekna package. I would pay extra for the Tekna model and did... twice! But it certainly wasn't for the Bose system. I saw that as something I could certainly have lived without and felt that it added no real value.

Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've never driven an e-Golf, electric versions of normal cars don't interest me.
But the Leaf Tekna is basic compared to the Golf...really?
The Tekna Leaf has leather, heated seats (front and back), Bose stereo, keyless entry, LED headlights and a heated steering wheel.
Does an e-Golf have all that?

BTW, good news, the driver taking my car back noticed the fault and they've ordered me a new speaker under warranty.
Hopefully that's the problem, rather than the amp.
Sorry, not an eGolf. Apologies.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I used to work in audio, in the design of high-performance amplifiers.

The Bose system in the Leaf is..... incredibly disappointing.

Where to start... The bass is awful. Although the sub may add a few Hz of low end extension it is so utterly flabby and slow that it ends up off timing. It has a total inability to convey any sort of texture on a bass note (eg the bowed cello on Beth Orton - She Cries Your Name, or the acoustic bass guitar on Alice In Chains - Would? (Unplugged)), leaving a plodding detail-free underpinning with no slam or dynamics on offer.

Treble is inoffensive, which is fairly good as car systems go. It doesn't tend to harshness the way that the Pioneer system in my Accord Executive did. There's no stunning clarity on offer, but it doesn't leave ears bleeding either so that's a plus.

Mid-range. This is where it gets so complicated. On the right material it can actually be quite stunningly good - The opening verse of Thea Gilmore - Sol Invictus is beautifully delivered. With something sparsely produced like that it does well. However, the problem comes when you get into material that is "thicker" and more layered. It all goes horribly wrong with Eels - Mr E's Beautiful Blues or Eels - Flyswatter because there's so much going on that it all just blurs and muddies together - this suggests a higher level of intermodulation distortion in the system.

Soundstaging (Train - Swaying) isn't bad for a car, but cars are terrible for this as you sit off centre in a small space. It's never been something that I've hugely bothered about anyway (my tastes are more for dynamics and clarity/separation).

Then we get to the interface. Oh. My. Word. I thought that the system in my Volvo, designed in 2006-2007 was bad for navigating the USB stick (each time you got to the master folder list it has jumped back to the top, and you can't use the alphanumeric keypad to jump down the list, only scroll), but then I got the Leaf. In the world of network audio, streaming/USB playback it is TOTALLY standard that your folder structure is Root\Artist\Album\ - WHY DOES THE LEAF IGNORE THE TOP-LEVEL STRUCTURE?! Who on earth wants some absurd long list of albums without the Artist to sort them by?! How on earth did anyone get something so utterly trivial and basic about the process so completely wrong?!

So perhaps the most frustrating thing about the Bose audio system in the Leaf is its inconsistency. It can go between beautiful and insightful on female lyrics to a thick and muddled mess of rock. Add to that the sheer frustration of trying to navigate a file structure and it scores poorly overall, especially given that this is supposed to be the "upgrade" system.

And one final annoyance... When you turn the system on it takes 30 seconds - 1 minute or so to read the USB stick. That's ok, it's normal, the Volvo does the same thing. However, the key difference is that the Volvo does it as soon as you start the car, whether or not you have the audio system on, so that if you turn the system on after 15 minutes it is immediately ready to play. The Leaf doesn't do it until you turn the audio system on, then making you wait for the initialisation time even if you've already been driving for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Where to start... The bass is awful. Although the sub may add a few Hz of low end extension it is so utterly flabby and slow that it ends up off timing. It has a total inability to convey any sort of texture on a bass note (eg the bowed cello on Beth Orton - She Cries Your Name, or the acoustic bass guitar on Alice In Chains - Would? (Unplugged)), leaving a plodding detail-free underpinning with no slam or dynamics on offer.
@i-s you've probably spent longer than I have critically listening to the Bose effort in the Tekna. The poor timing of the sub hasn't really stood out to me but I've only really heard it with my daughters trash pop. It looks like a high order bandpass device so, yes, group delay will be high if not corrected and could make the sub sound slow. I don't think the sub is to blame for any lack of texture or slap you are hearing though. My guess is it covers about 30-80Hz, the detail and slap duties are in the door speaker range. I might measure it one day, If I do, I'll post the results here. Unless of course you beat me to it ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, has anybody noticed the lack of volume from the rear door speakers and sub? If I set the fader to the front and set the volume to a comfortable level then fade to the rear the rear speakers are barely audible, it's like the amp is not working properly on those channels. Anybody else noticed this or have I got a faulty amp?
Did you ever find a solution to your rear speaker problem?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts