Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am going to test drive a 2015 leaf 24kWh tomorrow and was wondering what people would suggest as the questions to ask. It is through a Nissan dealership.
I have done some research (mainly on this forum, so thanks everyone!) and think the leaf could be a good option. Sorry if the below is findable elsewhere on the site, not the easiest to search.

1. Good questions to ask?

2. What do people expect the range to be like (city driving and highway) for both the 2015 leaf now (about 16000 miles on the clock) and in a few years time (less than 6000 miles a year)

3. How do the Nissan dealerships tend to respond to price haggling? Any tips for getting a reduced price?

Many thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
292 Posts
Three (suggested) questions to ask; -
  1. Is the battery owned or leased?
  2. What charger does the vehicle have; is it 3.3 Kwh or 6.6 Kwh (the latter charges faster)
  3. Is the SD card (for navigation system) with the vehicle? If not it can take an age/cost a fortune to get.
It's ALWAYS a good idea to haggle. If the dealership thinks you will walk away they may be more amenable to close a deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, good tips. The first point I have already checked, but the second two I had not got on my list yet. Any comments on range?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mike has given you the big questions.

Range is very dependent on temperature and speed (the leaf doesn't have thermal management of the battery and isnt very aerodynamic).

somewhere between 50 and 90 miles. Falls off fast above 50mph.

Make sure it is at least an acenta spec wise. You need that for the heat pump, the base spec model (visia) has an old style heater.

Oh and the headlights are crap unless you get LEDs

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
1. Does it come with both a 13-amp lead EVSE (colloquially known as the 'Granny' lead) and a Type 2 to Type 1 lead for use on public destination chargepoints.

2. Take a good look at the rear tyres (and check their manufacturing dates in case one has been changed). Some Leafs (possibly due to a manufacturing tolerance error on the rear beam) wear the rear tyres more rapidly than the front, especially the nearside rear - I had to replace my rear tyres at 19500 miles, although I am still on the original fronts at 33,000 miles.

Range - for my 13 Reg Acenta I reckon from a full charge to an almost flat battery 80 miles on a dry summer day and 60 miles on a wet winter night (and even less if there is slush on the road) at an indicated 55mph on A roads and slower on windy country roads.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Ask to see a battery health report (it should be with any service documentation.) Also any missing battery health bars (on the right of the display) will reduce the potential range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips everyone. Some excellent advice. Is the heater a big issue if it is used for very short trips predominantly? The one I am interested in at the mo is a visia+

·
Registered
449 Posts
When I bought my 64 plate Tekna it only had a 3-pin granny cable with it. I said I'd want a type 1 to type 2 cable including as well, for public charging.

They said they couldn't... Too expensive... Blah, blah, blah. So I said fine, I'll leave it, walked out, and before I'd even managed to get home from the dealership (10 minutes) I'd had a missed call from them, and a message telling me they'd found one they could include in the sale.

If the cars the right one for you and the price is about right, push for more. Sounds daft/greedy, but month ends coming up on Wednesday, if you can do a deal they'll be eager to get it out so it'll be in this month's figures.

If you're paying cash, whatever deal they come up with, take a few hundred quid off what you'd be prepared to pay and tell them, 'do it for £xxxx and I'll have it', they'll probably try to meet you half way, but stand your ground for as long as you can.

If you're paying finance, set your monthly limit that you'd be happy to pay and do the same, knock off £20 or so and tell them, 'do it for £xxx a month and I'll leave a deposit now and pick it up on Wednesday.'

Used car sales is used car sales, they want to shift as many cars in the month as they can, that's the dealership and the sales people. They could have bands to reach for their targets and your sale might not make them a massive amount, but if it gets them to their target and up to a higher commission band, they'll try their best to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I bought my 64 plate Tekna it only had a 3-pin granny cable with it. I said I'd want a type 1 to type 2 cable including as well, for public charging.

They said they couldn't... Too expensive... Blah, blah, blah. So I said fine, I'll leave it, walked out, and before I'd even managed to get home from the dealership (10 minutes) I'd had a missed call from them, and a message telling me they'd found one they could include in the sale.

If the cars the right one for you and the price is about right, push for more. Sounds daft/greedy, but month ends coming up on Wednesday, if you can do a deal they'll be eager to get it out so it'll be in this month's figures.

If you're paying cash, whatever deal they come up with, take a few hundred quid off what you'd be prepared to pay and tell them, 'do it for £xxxx and I'll have it', they'll probably try to meet you half way, but stand your ground for as long as you can.

If you're paying finance, set your monthly limit that you'd be happy to pay and do the same, knock off £20 or so and tell them, 'do it for £xxx a month and I'll leave a deposit now and pick it up on Wednesday.'

Used car sales is used car sales, they want to shift as many cars in the month as they can, that's the dealership and the sales people. They could have bands to reach for their targets and your sale might not make them a massive amount, but if it gets them to their target and up to a higher commission band, they'll try their best to do it.
Thanks for this. The first thing is whether or not my wife likes it. She has a bad back and sits ridiculously upright, which with her long torso brings in height issues, so driving position could kill the idea unfortunately.

Assuming that is all OK, we are looking to trade in our 09 VW and make use of the offers on finance (get Nissan to pay £2,000!). We may well pay off the finance almost immediately as we have the cash.

What sort of price should a visia+ go for? 10,500 on the clock, 2015 reg? It is listed at about £10,600. There is also an acenta for 12,000 (20,000 miles on the clock).

I realise the above may be hard to answer!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It really depends on their history and use. A careful one owner from new is often better than an ex lease car which has had a multitude of drivers who couldn't care about it much as it wasn't theirs.
I get the feeling those prices are a bit inflated to allow you your £2000 off! I will say at those prices you aren't far off getting a newer 30kWh Leaf (circa £14000 - £17000) which will see you having a 110-130 mile summer range as opposed to 70-90 miles summer range. (Range drops with winter temps.)
If you intend to charge away from home the 6.6 kW charger is really useful as it achieves 30 miles charge in an hour as opposed to 15 for the 3.3. The faster charger did add to the cost of the car when new.
Shameless plug, I'm selling my 2016 30kWh Acenta Leaf with a 6.6kW charger for £14,750 ONO. Not much more than what you've been considering. (I've got a 40kWh Leaf on order.) For Sale - Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh 6.6kW charger

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It really depends on their history and use. A careful one owner from new is often better than an ex lease car which has had a multitude of drivers who couldn't care about it much as it wasn't theirs.
I get the feeling those prices are a bit inflated to allow you your £2000 off! I will say at those prices you aren't far off getting a newer 30kWh Leaf (circa £14000 - £17000) which will see you having a 110-130 mile summer range as opposed to 70-90 miles summer range. (Range drops with winter temps.)
If you intend to charge away from home the 6.6 kW charger is really useful as it achieves 30 miles charge in an hour as opposed to 15 for the 3.3. The faster charger did add to the cost of the car when new.
Shameless plug, I'm selling my 2016 30kWh Acenta Leaf with a 6.6kW charger for £14,750 ONO. Not much more than what you've been considering. (I've got a 40kWh Leaf on order.) For Sale - Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh 6.6kW charger
Thanks John, maybe I can drive them down a bit if we decide the car is good for us. Your leaf looks great and if you were nearby I'd come for a look. We are still at early stage though so I reckon your trade in day will have come and gone before we would be able to buy (assuming it's in the next week or two).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could anyone please expand in why the her pump is so much better than the resistive heater? Can you only preheat with the heat pump? Is it just because the resistive drains the battery a lot more?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Could anyone please expand in why the her pump is so much better than the resistive heater? Can you only preheat with the heat pump? Is it just because the resistive drains the battery a lot more?

Thanks
That's correct, the heat pump is more efficient, possibly by as much as a factor of three! If the Visia+ has that (I expect it does) keep that in mind. When you look at the car, get them (or do it yourself) put the air conditioning on and watch the range indicated drop.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for this. The first thing is whether or not my wife likes it. She has a bad back and sits ridiculously upright, which with her long torso brings in height issues, so driving position could kill the idea unfortunately.

Assuming that is all OK, we are looking to trade in our 09 VW and make use of the offers on finance (get Nissan to pay £2,000!). We may well pay off the finance almost immediately as we have the cash.

What sort of price should a visia+ go for? 10,500 on the clock, 2015 reg? It is listed at about £10,600. There is also an acenta for 12,000 (20,000 miles on the clock).

I realise the above may be hard to answer!
For reference, I bought my 64 plate Tekna (registered December 2014) in November 2016, so it was just under 2 years old. It cost me about £10600. Had £14k on the clock. Got it on the 3.9% PCP, with £1000 deposit contribution.

Prices seem to have risen a little since then, due to an increase in demand.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
901 Posts
newer 30kWh Leaf (circa £14000 - £17000) which will see you having a 110-130 mile summer range
If you define 'range' as starting with 100% and ending with 0%. Most of us, most of the time, like to have a safety margin of 10% or so in the battery in case of diversions, broken chargers, etc. In these circs, the real range for a Leaf 30 is ~100 miles at 40-50mph; at motorway speeds, ~65 miles.

That said, For Sale - Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh 6.6kW charger £14,750 ONO looks like a good deal.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If you define 'range' as starting with 100% and ending with 0%. Most of us, most of the time, like to have a safety margin of 10% or so in the battery in case of diversions, broken chargers, etc. In these circs, the real range for a Leaf 30 is ~100 miles at 40-50mph; at motorway speeds, ~65 miles.
Range is really the potential of the vehicle based on your normal driving. Clearly if you drive it like you're in a Grand Prix it won't go as far... even F1 cars have that limitation! I've never experienced getting anything like as low as 65 in the 30, but for my Gen 1 that was the norm (if I was lucky.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi everyone, thought I would update from our visit to the dealership.

- Car went down well with my wife and she had no issues with the height. Seat more comfortable than our current VW Golf Estate but she will still probably need a cushion and or other aids for her lumber.

- Comments on this forum and the salesman (pinch of salt taken whenever the salesman speaks!) has pointed us towards an Acenta rather than a Visia. The heat pump and the general better spec is probably better suited to us and worth the slight increase in price. There was a 2014 Acenta with 46500 miles on the clock at £9,795, and a 2015 with 16886 on at £12495 (all pre-haggling). There are probably other cars between these too.

- We are probably looking at 3 year ownership, maybe PCP and maybe just 0% hire purchase. Either of these is needed to get the £1,000 from Nissan.

- For long journeys (>150 miles or so) we will probably hire or borrow a ICE car as journeys that far with two small children are bad enough without range anxiety and more stops. These will be very rare though (maybe 2 a year!).

- As we haven't begun haggling or chosen exactly which car I haven't looked into battery reports and the ins and outs of the specific cars yet. We were time limited as the kids were being looked after for the day.

A question...

We were quoted a guaranteed final value value of £3825 for the 2014 Acenta with 46500 miles on the clock at £9,795. The max total milage over 3 years for us is 18000 more, so it would be a 7 year old car with 64500 miles on the clock.
For the 2015 with 16886 on at £12495 guaranteed final value was £4702.5. The final milage would be a max of 34886 for a 6 year old car.

I reckon the finance companies must be fairly adept at guessing future prices as that is part of how they make their money, but what do people think?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, new to forum but wanted to chip in.. when I was initially going to buy a 24kwh leaf from Nissan they told me that you are entitled to borrow an ICE car for 2 weeks every year from the dealership to help with holidays! something to factor in!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts