Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
What is the lock actually trying to prevent?

I'd say the largest risk is from the passer-by having a laugh and unplugging, not someone with an intent to steal it. Someone who actually wants to steal it can probably use enough force to overcome any lock...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Based on a comment on that article it seems like the I3 lock is no better and can easily be defeated. I wonder if is the same across other EV makes?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Based on a comment on that article it seems like the I3 lock is no better and can easily be defeated. I wonder if is the same across other EV makes?
Apparently you can "wiggle it side to side" to get the i3 one off?

Wonder if this is a universal "problem" as the desire to tamper as been underestimated?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Remember that the i3 in the US (which Michael has) is also J1772, like the Leaf. The UK i3 has a Type 2 socket, which I'd be surprised if it was as simple. It appears to be a pretty sturdy pin that locks into a hole in the plug.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Seriously, did anyone really think that the Type 1 cable lock was anything more than a token gesture? It'll stop the casual oik passerby taking your cable out for the hell of it, but I never assumed it would stop a vaguely determined thief.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
maybe its just me but if some little sod gets a huge shock while trying to wiggle something around in the electrical socket of my EV then I am not going to lose any sleep over the apparent design flaw

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Looks so easy but If on a public post then the T2 socket is also locked to it, requiring the same card to release it. This is the same for the 3 pin EVSE posts where the cover flap is locked.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
This seems simple enough?

That looks like a Gen1 that had no locking system apart from using a small padlock on the grip. Still an easy solution that stops the cable\plug from being thrown away from the car.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Remember that the i3 in the US (which Michael has) is also J1772, like the Leaf. The UK i3 has a Type 2 socket, which I'd be surprised if it was as simple. It appears to be a pretty sturdy pin that locks into a hole in the plug.
I've had the other end of the charger stuck to a uncooperative Rolec pedestal charger before, the 3 blokes that worked there and myself couldn't get the charger out by brute force alone.

Of course I'm sure it's possible but I figure the majority of people won't want to be yanking on a cable that's carrying up to 40kW on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts