Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me which cable I need to buy for public charges, ie super markets. I have a 2014 leaf and I have the cable that came with the car with the 3 pin plug, I also use cyc which have there own leads, but the lead I'm after I think is type one but obviously want to buy the right one. Sorry for seeming a bit thick but I'm new to this and only found out about this other cable yesterday, many thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
As above, you need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable.

Check if your car has the 3.3 or 6.6kW onboard charger. If you only have the 3.3 then you can save a bit of money by buying a 16 amp cable, but if you have the 6.6 you will need the 32 amp cable to make use of the faster charging speeds.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
AFAIK, for the early Sunderland built Leafs, if it had a 3.6kW charger then it came with just a 'granny lead' with the 13A plug.
If it had a 6.6kW charger then it came with just a Type 2 to Type 1 lead.

This caused a lot of hassle a) for owners of cars [like the OP] with 3.6kW chargers wishing to charge at Type 2 socketed public charging points, and b) for owners of cars with 6.6kW chargers wishing to top up where there was only a 13A socket available.

Later Leafs were supplied with both leads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts