Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you who didn't see my tragic damage to my leaf on Twitter, I was involved in an accident 2 weeks ago, car pulled into my lane and into me (he claims blind spot) from behind a tractor, then cars started piling into the back of me!

I had a Toyota Hilux smash into the back of me at about 40mph I reckon.

So my lovely little Leaf hit a Audi A4 to the front, got it into a body shop locally who spent the first 30 mins scratching their heads about EVs.

They wondered if it was safe because of the electric in the car!

Cut a long story short, they were amazed at how little damage was done to the LEAF, 2 panels 1 Bumper, and a windscreen washer bottle, the Toyota that hit me is in the same body's shop and has £4k worth of damage!!!

Only problem now is they panels for the leaf are as rare as chickens teeth! Could be up to a month to get them!

During this, I am now driving round in a ICE Vauxhall Mokka 1.8l Turbo....it's awful, dirty and juicy......I'm depressed!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, as long as I don't get known as crash test dummy, call from repairer today, the car needs to go to main dealer to have the battery decommissioned before they can repair!! Could be a month!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DONT EVER PRANG YOUR LEAF OR LET ANYONE HIT YOU!!!!!, my Leaf is still in the workshop 8 weeks after the accident, it spent 4 weeks at a body works place while they scratched their heads! Then it went to Nissan main dealer and has been there for a further 4'weeks, its still not done! Apparently the parts are so rare! list price for the washer bottle..........£720 + vat!!!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
DONT EVER PRANG YOUR LEAF OR LET ANYONE HIT YOU!!!!!, my Leaf is still in the workshop 8 weeks after the accident, it spent 4 weeks at a body works place while they scratched their heads! Then it went to Nissan main dealer and has been there for a further 4'weeks, its still not done! Apparently the parts are so rare! list price for the washer bottle..........£720 + vat!!!!!
This might be of interest to you:
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-insurance-repairs-to-vehicles.htm

Notably:
For example, if a delay was caused because spare parts were unavailable - and we are satisfied that the repairer made reasonable efforts to get them - we are unlikely to uphold a complaint that the repairs took too long. But in these circumstances we might say that the insurer should:
  • pay for bespoke parts to be made; or
  • write the vehicle off.

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah to be honest, I would have a complaint with the first company not Nissan, they made excuses like they needed to isolate or de-commission the battery! They just didn't make any effort to sort it really, Nissan were honest and said, the parts will take 3 weeks, they had them quicker than that! More worryingly is the fact that my insurance company think the accident may have been caused in purpose in a injury claim fraud!!!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Reactions: Shaunchilds

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew this but the garage were having none of it! It was like I had dropped off a spaceship with the engineers looking at it!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
I knew this but the garage were having none of it! It was like I had dropped off a spaceship with the engineers looking at it!!!
:rolleyes:
They must have had at least ONE hybrid in their workshop by now, and the process is the same. Find HV disconnect switch, disconnect it. Work happy in the knowledge than no electricity can escape from the big nasty battery unless you actually go poking round inside it.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Don't they also have to remove the battery if they are setting the paint with heat?
Depends, how long does does it need to go in the booth? it seems to take the battery a few hours to change temperature just based on ambient changes, so I wouldn't panic about it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Queuing at a roundabout entrance and saw a car approaching in my mirror just before he shunted me. Very low speed collision, but whole rear skirt has parted company with the rest of the car. Peered underneath and saw liquid dripping onto the road. Local Nissan dealer took a look for me and declared the car safe to drive home. Churchill Insurance brought me a loan (ice) car the next day and carted the Leaf off for repair.

I'm wondering how long the repair is going to take? I have heard that spare parts for the Leaf can take ages to arrive? Does anyone here have any experience of this?

·
Registered
352 Posts
what happen to the original poster nissan leaf? The reason is cause I just had a smash in the rear end on 26th Feb so the car is being look at now (in a real right state!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That'll be me! All sorted after 9 weeks. The insurance company ended up sending to a nissan main dealer with took 2 weeks. The first 7 weeks was pure headache, they had no idea what to do. In hind site I should have insisted a main dealer in the first place. The delay is parts, which is not panels but windscreen washer bottle etc, apparently these parts are made abroad. End result was perfect to be honest!

·
Registered
352 Posts
My went to main dealer who look at it and said body work they can't do.. so now it has gone of all places a ford dealer to do the body work!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just had the call from the accident repair centre, and they said the estimate cost to repair the car will be over £14K hence it is being recommend to write it off... :-(

1 - 20 of 65 Posts