Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see no response from Nissan to Richard Fox’s post on the Facebook.com/NissanLeafUK 17 Feb. concerning the level of depreciation on his lovely white Tekna.
Should Nissan be concerned?
Is it that the dealerships are undervaluing nearly new Leaf or are they effectively saying the Leaf’s list price is set to high and overvalues a new Leaf?

·
Leaf lover
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What's the story here?
At the heart of it, is the question of the affordability of electric vehicles.
Obviously they are affordable in that people are buying them but not in the numbers that make them other than something of a novelty.
Richard purchased a top specification Tekna and now wishes to sell and is pointing out the difference between list price £27,000 to the offered trade-in value of £14,500. So that’s £12,500 depreciation set against £1,400 fuel saving (10,000 miles) and 6 months ownership.
Now this is great for someone like me who knows how good the cars are and would love a second Leaf but so off-putting to a potential new buyer particularly when so much of the sales pitch is on cost savings.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Well, first-year depreciation is always pretty steep.

The cheapest 2.0 litre Diesel Zetec Mondeo starts at £21,495:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/new-cars/derivative/54266

Yet this one is less than a year old and has only 9626 miles for £13,441:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401171099817

That second-hand price is buying from a dealer - they probably took it as part-ex and paid no more than 11k for it.

Edit: Also, I can't find a Leaf Tekna with a list price of £27,000. The flex version is £25,490 before grant £20,490 after. Non-flex is £30,490 before grant and £25,490 after

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
From the Facebook post, it isn't clear if Richard Fox is seriously thinking of selling or just saying that new cars depreciate quickly, even Leafs.

·
Banned
558 Posts
What's the story here?
In my view Nissan are sitting in their Maple Cross 'bunker' thinking - 'Say nothing, the situation is very flaky indeed'!
As far as I can see Nissan have scaled back production and what production there is, at Sunderland, will be configured to suit the European country with the best sales prospects e.g. Norway. 6 months ago dealerships had stocks of low mileage Mk1 and now there are none - and part form the showroom car Mk2 and maybe a demonstrator, thats it.
Nissan has only sold about 3,550 LEAFs in the UK since 2011. Thats only 100 cars per month across the dealership network. Its a marketing 'flop' and there seems to be little evidence that uptake is accelerating?
Further evidence can found in the budget for the Plugged-in Car Grant - the budget will be £170 million unspent, enough to finance the sales of at least 34,000 cars!
There are multiple concerns here - firstly Nissan (and Renault) have failed to create an concept of an EV 'lifestyle' - something hip-hop that people can buy into. Nissan just see an EV as another 'product' - take-it or leave it!
In parallel the UK Govt strategies have sought to deliver money into the hands of car manufactures and infrastructure providers - and they have been allowed to convert the grants directly into profit!
The whole think is a fiasco - but I console myself with it being very cheap motoring indeed!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
There are multiple concerns here - firstly Nissan (and Renault) have failed to create an concept of an EV 'lifestyle' - something hip-hop that people can buy into. Nissan just see an EV as another 'product' - take-it or leave it!
This is where I hope BMW and Tesla are going to continue to shake things up, BMW sell lifestyle so well. Every time I say this people think I'm denigrating their choice of a BMW, I'm not, but to deny BMW sell an image as much as a car is not being honest about them as a brilliant all-round firm at doing what they do, impressive cars, impressive dealer networks, impressive marketing (impressive lobbying). ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts