Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Gosh - I didn't realise that the Traffic Police still existed. It must have been a quiet night for them to bother to stop a car for incorrect use of fog lamps. But no MoT is bad, but surprising given the Covid exemptions. I wonder if he'll actually be prosecuted?

Reactions: EdH

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
Gosh - I didn't realise that the Traffic Police still existed. It must have been a quiet night for them to bother to stop a car for incorrect use of fog lamps. But no MoT is bad.
I rather suspect it was the other way around.

In car ANPR would have flagged that vehicle as having no MOT, the fact he was illegally displaying fog lights is a bonus.

Fortunately the Leaf was travelling at an EV friendly 59 mph.

·
Registered
368 Posts
But no MoT is bad, but surprising given the Covid exemptions
The exemptions (which were actually extensions!) have ended - any car that was due an MOT after a certain date still needs one and lots of them now need one anyway because the 6 month extension they were given has ended.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
To be fair in modern cars it’s easy enough to not realise what lights are on or not as so much is automatic. I wouldn’t know how to work the headlights on my MG tbh.

Reactions: EdH

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
In that model of LEAF you get green and red reminder lights for front and rear respectively on the dashboard, so he should have been aware of them.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,099 Posts
On the subject of MOT test, the cost of the test for a standard road vehicle is £54.85 (set by the Government - no VAT)

I estimate that a approximately a third of the test is concerned with measuring emissions - electric vehicles are zero emissions therefore don't need their emissions testing.

Owners of zero emission vehicles are being ripped off - the fee for the test should be reduced by £18.28 to £36.57 for zero emission vehicles.

Should only be charged for the vehicle inspection and admin in my opinion.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
Start a petition, a successful petition needs 100,000 signatures to be be debated in parliament.

Is 100,000 achievable? I don't see much support coming from ICE owners.
There were over 164,000 EVs on the UK's roads in September 2020, but the majority of those are under 3 years old.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Don’t get me started on fog lights! 🤬

The moment there is a hint of water vapour in the air every idiot turns on blinding red lights!

Nobody has the first clue how to use them in this country, if you can see the traffic lights / street lights 1000 yards away then I don’t think there is any real danger of someone missing your tail lights and running up the back end of you.

So why do people turn them on in these conditions

Because of a total lack of common sense, and we don’t seem to teach anybody how to use anything nowadays.

What makes things worse is that many cars don’t automatically switch them off when the ignition is cut so you have to follow people for days after in totally clear conditions who are driving along wondering what the new light in there binnacle means!

For the same reason nobody knows how to use a zebra crossing any more, few people wait at the kerb until the cars give way now.

They just stride straight out in front of you and hope that you haven’t got the sun in your eyes and have completely missed them, my favourite are cyclists that don’t dismount, ride straight out in front of you on a zebra from nowhere and hope to god you don’t kill them.

The ironic thing is if you did it would be your bloody fault!!

I sound like such a grumpy old man right now, rant over....... and breathe!

Ahh that’s better.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts